By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

SKMBlake said:
Doctor_MG said:

Maxwell was already 3 years old by the time Switch launched, so that isnt true...

You said architecture, the Switch is the first console with ARM architecture, an architecture never used by Nintendo nor MS nor Sony.

Clearly the subject was microarchitecture since both you and I were talking about lovelace, but regardless even then you're wrong as the GBA, DS and 3DS were all ARM based...

Anyway, I think you understand the point overall. It's doubtful it's going to be a significant upgrade, but it's 100% not going to happen that it is entirely new technology never before released. Nintendo hasn't done that in a long time. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:

Anyway, I think you understand the point overall. It's doubtful it's going to be a significant upgrade, but it's 100% not going to happen that it is entirely new technology never before released. Nintendo hasn't done that in a long time. 

I mostly agree with you, but "New technology" doesn't necessarily mean "high end", look at the Snapdragon 480 SoC for eg, a 2021 chip but way cheaper and less powerful than the Snapdragon 835 released 4 years ago.

I can def see NVIdia producing a cheap SoC for Nintendo with more recent technology (cause this is the key - we saw it with the Series S) than can last 4-5 more years.

curl-6 said:

I feel like just as a lot of 360 owners went onto PS4, a fair few Xbone owners will get a PS5. It could make up the difference with a better lineup of games, but as of yet I just don't see any solid indication that XS will sell better than Xbone. Game Pass didn't exactly change Xbone's fortunes, and the Xbox brand lost a lot of its mojo and coolness with the Xbone.

I think both Game Pass and All Access will play a stronger role later in the generation, particularly in opening up hardcore PS5 owners (like myself) into considering Xbox as a secondary console purchase. 

RolStoppable said:

That will mean staying ahead despite its predecessor already receiving a price cut

Yeah but if you consider price cut, you should also consider the way cheaper model launched with the Series X, which can act as a price cut as well. And today's 500$ has nothing to do with 2014's 500$, so it is pretty expected to sell more.

RolStoppable said:
SKMBlake said:

Yeah but if you consider price cut, you should also consider the way cheaper model launched with the Series X, which can act as a price cut as well. And today's 500$ has nothing to do with 2014's 500$, so it is pretty expected to sell more.

It doesn't act like a price cut. What a price cut means is that the customer can get the product they wanted for a cheaper price than before.

Or put another way, both the Series X and Series S can receive their own price cuts. If Xbox Series is already outpacing Xbox One without a price cut, then its lead is only going to grow more when the Series SKUs are made available at cheaper prices.

Yeah, but if the customer wants a next-generation Xbox to a cheaper price, the Series S is the way to go without which they wouldn't have considered the purchase.

Thus, the "act as a price cut" thing I said. I don't believe the Series S aims for a new demographic target, it just aims the regular Xbox fan which is keen to have a cheaper solution.