By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

Sogreblute said:

Some people here think the Xbox Series systems will sell less than Xbox One all because they're putting their games on PC. Sure Microsoft will lose a very few amount of sales, but there are just so many people out there that would rather play on console or playing on a Xbox system is just their preference to play games on. The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. There are a lot of PC gamers that just refuse to buy consoles and markets (mainly Asia) that don't bother with consoles at all, so how can you get them to buy your games if they won't buy your console? Microsoft found this answer and Sony is playing catch up to this.

I think the Xbox Series will sell more than Xbox One. Think about where the Xbox brand was back in 2013 and 2014. Now look at it. Much better focus, marketing, services, etc. Microsoft is in a much, much better position now. Part of the reason the PS4 sold 115 million is Microsoft and Nintendo literally shot themselves in the foot at the start of the 8th generation. Now that both are stronger I think that will make the PS5 sell less than the PS4.

Xbox One didn't lose its games to PC until well into its life though, while from day 1 people know Xbox Series games will all be on PC.

Sure, some like myself will opt for a console over a PC for convenience, but it's still a hard sell pushing a box with no true exclusives.

Their marketing and services may have improved, but neither will necessarily boost sales substantially beyond just pleasing the already converted as Game Pass seems to be doing, and whereas Xbox One at least had 80 million plus 360 users to draw from, Series has less than 50 million Xbone users to draw on.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, but at this point I'm not sold on Xbox Series doing any better than Xbox One in sales.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 March 2021

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch has shipped 24.1m so far for the first 9 months of the fiscal year.  We need to get the March 31, 2021 report to know how much they shipped for the last quarter. 

I meant adding up official numbers with Vgchartz numbers

I'm not sure how to do what you are asking.  Official numbers are "shipped", while VGChartz numbers are "sold through".  They can't easily be combined together.

eva01beserk said:
Alistair said:

People do get bored and want something different. If you look at Nintendo, that has been their strategy, something new, even if I'd prefer what they used to be in the Gamecube era. Personally just want a Switch Pro controller with better triggers included with an RTX 3060 for $350 and call it a day. Thank you Nintendo.

So there are a lot of PS gamers that might be a bit bored with the PS5, the controllers still haven't improved much (I hope Matty on Youtube sticks to Xbox over PS, much easier on the arms, I have chronic RSI also), the design is too big and blocky, and the same style of games won't cut it, they need something new. I know A LOT of people with PS4 that are not even interested in the PS5, though some of that can be aging. The PS5 just has to keep the younger demographic, but 3 of my friends that own a PS4 won't buy one.

It really depends on where you live. Everyone here buys Xbox.

Anecdotal. But if you wana go there in the US where I live all the adults play PlayStation and have no interst on Xbox. While their kids play on Xbox. Back in DR where I'm from you dont even hear wispers of Xbox. EU amd Japan seem to be on the same track. 

This type of anecdote has 2009 levels of cringe

ice said:
eva01beserk said:

Anecdotal. But if you wana go there in the US where I live all the adults play PlayStation and have no interst on Xbox. While their kids play on Xbox. Back in DR where I'm from you dont even hear wispers of Xbox. EU amd Japan seem to be on the same track. 

This type of anecdote has 2009 levels of cringe

Its why you dont bring up anecdotal evidence. Means nothing to others. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Eagle367 said:

I meant adding up official numbers with Vgchartz numbers

I'm not sure how to do what you are asking.  Official numbers are "shipped", while VGChartz numbers are "sold through".  They can't easily be combined together.

They provide a baseline though. It's pretty easy to combine them and get the lowest estimate because sold through can never be higher than shipped

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
kazuyamishima said:

Even if PS5 will track ahead of PS4 in about 2-3 weeks, Sony only has a chance to sell well in the next 2 years, after that they’re doomed. PS3 situation all over again!!

First of all I never said PS5 was doomed, I just believe their sales will drop significantly in years 4-6 because of all the studios that MS bought that won't have games coming out on PS5. PS5 will still do incredibly well, but to act like at least 20-40 million hardware buyers aren't influenced by where those games are released on doesn't make sense. 

I mean, we're looking at these platform holders right now, a lot can happen in that time span or even this year. Sony are planning to increase investments in the entertainment space, with their next midrange plan getting bigger allotments to spend compared to their current midrange plan. That's at least 10+ Billion, it might even be as high as 20+ Billion, depending on what Sony deems to be excess operating cash.

This is also not factoring Sony's major advantage when it comes to second/third party exclusives. And aside from TES/Fallout, which have a massive following on PC, its not reasonable to assume the majority of franchises from Zenimax will influence anywhere near 20 - 40 Million hardware buyers. 

Are we sure that Microsoft putting Xbox exclusives day and date on PC has minimal impact on console sales? I still think that remains to be seen.

PS4 and Xbone are really trailing off fast in spite of their successor's supply constraints.

curl-6 said:

PS4 and Xbone are really trailing off fast in spite of their successor's supply constraints.

That rise in shipments and weekly sales for the PS5 and XSeries have to come from somewhere.

Sogreblute said:

The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. 

The Xbox One sold 50 million with:

- a very big existing userbase which could potentially switch from Xbox 360 to Xbox One

- a very low entry price almost 2/3 of the console's life

- 3 revisions, one being the most powerful console yet

- a subscription service where you pay a low subscription to have a console + 100+ games

They had to do all the tricks they could've possibly do to sell this amount.

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 29 March 2021