By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Mar 6-13 - Xbox Series X|S Sales Top 4 Million

Torpoleon said:

@SKMBlake So you see PS5 surpassing PS4 & Game Boy? I hope it does (it's healthy for the industry when all the console manufacturers are doing better than before), but I wouldn't be surprised if it barely misses the mark, with the missed amount going to XSX. Should at least surpass Wii & PS1 though.

I believe that the fact that there is 2 PS5 model with different price will help the console to sell more (exactly like the Series X/S). And just like the Series S, the PS5 DE barely sell 1/4 or even 1/5 of the console, but on a bigger scale, if the PS5 reaches 50 million, then it would reach it quicker thanks to the 10 million DE.

And then of course, the hypotetical (but very realistic) slim revision in maybe late 2023 and a PS5 entry price at 299$ with the DE (I don't believe a slim revision would put the price down from 499 to 299 - Sony isn't MS).

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network

SX/S once demand is met they may start to fall below the last gen because you can play their games on PC, no reason to stick to the console. Gamepass subs is what we need to use to measure their success going forward. Current and future MS exclusives have already brought in the targeted audience for XB, these exclusive games were already on XB.
PS5 should sell just as PS4 did as Sony is not giving current PS4 users a reason to switch platforms.

Some people here think the Xbox Series systems will sell less than Xbox One all because they're putting their games on PC. Sure Microsoft will lose a very few amount of sales, but there are just so many people out there that would rather play on console or playing on a Xbox system is just their preference to play games on. The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. There are a lot of PC gamers that just refuse to buy consoles and markets (mainly Asia) that don't bother with consoles at all, so how can you get them to buy your games if they won't buy your console? Microsoft found this answer and Sony is playing catch up to this.

I think the Xbox Series will sell more than Xbox One. Think about where the Xbox brand was back in 2013 and 2014. Now look at it. Much better focus, marketing, services, etc. Microsoft is in a much, much better position now. Part of the reason the PS4 sold 115 million is Microsoft and Nintendo literally shot themselves in the foot at the start of the 8th generation. Now that both are stronger I think that will make the PS5 sell less than the PS4.

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Week 18

This weekly mini-series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. 

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. PS5: 6,296,634
  2. Switch: 4,188,151
  3. XSX|S: 4,040,062

Through the first 18 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S by a fair margin. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.11 million units and is 2.26 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 148,089 units.

The PS5 has sold 6.30 million in 18 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 4.19 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 4.04 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 18 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.4 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 28.8 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.8 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 31.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. PS5: 2,629,504
  2. XSX|S: 2,046,247
  3. Switch: 1,569,332

Through the first 18 weeks available in the US the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.58 million units and is 1.06 million units ahead of the Switch. The Xbox Series X|S is ahead of the Switch by 0.48 million units.

The PS5 has sold 2.63 million in 18 weeks in the US, while the Xbox Series X|S sold 2.05 million units and the Switch 1.57 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 18 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 42.1 percent marketshare, the Xbox Series X|S sits at 32.8 percent, and the Switch at 25.1 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 36 and current Xbox Series X|S sales until week 27.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe (17 weeks):

1. PS5: 2,125,412
  2. Switch: 1,197,395
  3. XSX|S: 1,163,088

The PlayStation 5 has been available for one week less than the Xbox Series X|S in Europe. After 17 weeks the PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 0.93 million units and is 0.96 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 34,307.

The PS5 has sold 2.13 million in 17 weeks in Europe, while the Switch sold 1.20 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 1.16 million units. 

Looking at the marketshare through 17 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 47.4 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 26.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.9 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 38.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 1,040,747
  2. PS5: 485,496
  3. XSX|S: 37,894

Through the first 18 weeks available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 0.56 million units and is 1.00 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 0.45 million units.

The Switch has sold 1.04 million units in 18 weeks in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 0.49 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.04 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 18 weeks, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 66.6 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 31.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.4 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I think the argument that Xbox games (and to a lesser degree PS games) can also be played on PC and thus will affect the console sales negatively is overstated. Many (most?) including myself simply don't like to play in front of a computer, it's simply not as comfortable as on the couch. Yeah, I know that you simply can link your PC to a TV or share your screen from the PC to your TV. But honestly how many do that? Very very few. The great majority simply doesn't want a PC tower in the living room and have only one (if at all) beefy PC and if it would stand in the living room it is inconvenient to use it for working/school purposes. And how many people even know about screen sharing? I don't know, maybe there would even be a latency problem if the PC and TV stand in different floors. But anyway, it is again too inconvenient for the great majority of people to start the computer and screen sharing in the upper floor and then go down to your TV at the lower floor (or even just different rooms if both are on the same floor).

The bottom line is, even in the past when 3rd party games looked miles better on a potent PC than on a console, many (most?) people simply didn't bother about gaming on a PC. Console gaming meant and still means convenient plug-in and play. Even though, nowadays, a PC is basically also just a plug-in and play machine for gaming, it is not and probably will never be perceived as such. On the other hand, I can perfectly understand why certain people prefer gaming on PC and probably never bother about buying a console. It's simply a different experience and it's good like that - diversity was always and always will be good for the industry!

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Eagle367 said:

Let's go to 30mil+ for the financial year. Can anyone post where switch is for the financial year?

Switch has shipped 24.1m so far for the first 9 months of the fiscal year.  We need to get the March 31, 2021 report to know how much they shipped for the last quarter. 

I meant adding up official numbers with Vgchartz numbers

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Sogreblute said:

Some people here think the Xbox Series systems will sell less than Xbox One all because they're putting their games on PC. Sure Microsoft will lose a very few amount of sales, but there are just so many people out there that would rather play on console or playing on a Xbox system is just their preference to play games on. The Xbox One sold 50 million with no exclusives (or very few). Microsoft literally proved you can put games on PC and have good console sales. There are a lot of PC gamers that just refuse to buy consoles and markets (mainly Asia) that don't bother with consoles at all, so how can you get them to buy your games if they won't buy your console? Microsoft found this answer and Sony is playing catch up to this.

I think the Xbox Series will sell more than Xbox One. Think about where the Xbox brand was back in 2013 and 2014. Now look at it. Much better focus, marketing, services, etc. Microsoft is in a much, much better position now. Part of the reason the PS4 sold 115 million is Microsoft and Nintendo literally shot themselves in the foot at the start of the 8th generation. Now that both are stronger I think that will make the PS5 sell less than the PS4.

Xbox One didn't lose its games to PC until well into its life though, while from day 1 people know Xbox Series games will all be on PC.

Sure, some like myself will opt for a console over a PC for convenience, but it's still a hard sell pushing a box with no true exclusives.

Their marketing and services may have improved, but neither will necessarily boost sales substantially beyond just pleasing the already converted as Game Pass seems to be doing, and whereas Xbox One at least had 80 million plus 360 users to draw from, Series has less than 50 million Xbone users to draw on.

Maybe time will prove me wrong, but at this point I'm not sold on Xbox Series doing any better than Xbox One in sales.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 March 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Eagle367 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch has shipped 24.1m so far for the first 9 months of the fiscal year.  We need to get the March 31, 2021 report to know how much they shipped for the last quarter. 

I meant adding up official numbers with Vgchartz numbers

I'm not sure how to do what you are asking.  Official numbers are "shipped", while VGChartz numbers are "sold through".  They can't easily be combined together.

eva01beserk said:
Alistair said:

People do get bored and want something different. If you look at Nintendo, that has been their strategy, something new, even if I'd prefer what they used to be in the Gamecube era. Personally just want a Switch Pro controller with better triggers included with an RTX 3060 for $350 and call it a day. Thank you Nintendo.

So there are a lot of PS gamers that might be a bit bored with the PS5, the controllers still haven't improved much (I hope Matty on Youtube sticks to Xbox over PS, much easier on the arms, I have chronic RSI also), the design is too big and blocky, and the same style of games won't cut it, they need something new. I know A LOT of people with PS4 that are not even interested in the PS5, though some of that can be aging. The PS5 just has to keep the younger demographic, but 3 of my friends that own a PS4 won't buy one.

It really depends on where you live. Everyone here buys Xbox.

Anecdotal. But if you wana go there in the US where I live all the adults play PlayStation and have no interst on Xbox. While their kids play on Xbox. Back in DR where I'm from you dont even hear wispers of Xbox. EU amd Japan seem to be on the same track. 

This type of anecdote has 2009 levels of cringe

ice said:
eva01beserk said:

Anecdotal. But if you wana go there in the US where I live all the adults play PlayStation and have no interst on Xbox. While their kids play on Xbox. Back in DR where I'm from you dont even hear wispers of Xbox. EU amd Japan seem to be on the same track. 

This type of anecdote has 2009 levels of cringe

Its why you dont bring up anecdotal evidence. Means nothing to others. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.