By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Nvidia GPU For New Switch, 4K DLSS Graphics + Better CPU + More RAM

Soundwave said:

Nvidia Ada/Lovelace for this Switch upgrade would be wild. That's like a 3 or 4 generation leap from Maxwell (original Switch), lol. Architecturally that would be bleeding edge. I think you'd be looking at $399.99 for sure if that's the case.

That would be great. I sincerely doubt that we'll get anything boundary-pushing in terms of hardware spec however.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Around the Network

I think exclusives are kinda inevitable. The leaker Nate has already said he knows of one Switch New Model exclusive from a 3rd party.

I feel like we were all hyped already but this lovelace rumor has us going Super Saiyan hype mode now haha. I love it!

Soundwave said:

I think exclusives are kinda inevitable. The leaker Nate has already said he knows of one Switch New Model exclusive from a 3rd party.

A few is fine, but if they have a bunch that will only encourage more people on holding off buying into future generations until the pro models come out. That is not the kind of conditioning Nintendo wants to do to their fanbase as shareholders will be TICKED off for years until sales skyrocket with Pro models. If Nintendo had it there way they would prefer 6 years of 18 million hardware sales over 5 mil, 7 mil, 7 mil, 30 mil, 40 mil, 20 mil.

Soundwave said:

This is likely the solution to keeping 3rd party support, from next gen titles (PS5 / XSX).
You could see a situation where this "new Switch Pro" gets certain titles, that likely wouldnt come to the normal Switch.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

There is now a rumour from a leaker who correctly leaked Nvidia's Ampere GPUs many months before the announcement that suggests the Switch Pro might be using next gen Nvidia's Lovelace architecture. If true, that would be nuts!

https://videocardz.com/newz/next-gen-nintendo-switch-rumored-to-feature-nvidia-ada-lovelace-gpu-architecture

Take it with a grain of salt though

That would be a truly huge move for Nintendo. When Switch released in 2017 it was using a Tegra X1 with Maxwell GPU from 2014. To go from using 3 year outdated tech on Switch to using top of the line 2021 tech on Switch Pro would be a truly huge move by Nintendo. I was assuming this thing would be using a Volta based Tegra chip honestly (but with a die shrink from 12nm to 7/8nm for better battery life), and looking at the specs of Nvidia's automotive Volta based Tegra chipset, which is 874-1410 gflops, I was expecting something like 500 gflops handheld, 1000 gflops docked for a 7/8nm Volta based Switch Pro. But if this thing is truly using Lovelace the specs could be well beyond my original expectations, perhaps even beating XB1 S specs in handheld and PS4 specs when docked. This thing is starting to sound almost more like a Switch 2 than a Switch Pro at this point, between the rumors of developers being able to release games on Switch Pro that don't release on Switch/Switch Lite, and now this Lovelace rumor.

Now this is intresting.... if it actually is that big a jump, I wonder if Nintendo will just come out and call it Switch 2.
Just say it plays all older Switch games, and that the old switch will still get support to run future nintendo titles.
(it would be akin to the PS4 vs PS5  , XB1 vs XSX situation going on with the others)

1,4 Tflops + DLSS, and this thing would be able to run games better looking than say a standard PS4.
(It would likely give the PS4pro a run for its money)

I think the Switch line having a new model every 2 years is great.
2017 - Switch Hybrid Gen 1
2019 - Switch Handheld Gen 1.2
2021 - Switch Hybrid (maybe Handheld) Gen 2
2023 - Switch TV Gen 2.2
2025 - Switch Hybrid Gen 3
And so on.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Dulfite said:
Slownenberg said:

Seems to be in line with what was expected of a premium Switch model: bigger better screen, more memory, 4k with DLSS, more powerful chip. Still waiting to hear if storage is expanded over the tiny 32gb, what battery life will be, and if they'll be adding bluetooth support.

Hopefully this won't be over $350. I don't see this selling that well if it is say $400. With Switch so insanely popular it doesn't make sense to discount the two current models yet, but at the same time you don't want premium Switch to be so expensive that it's in the XBSeries/PS5 price range. Pricing strategy of all three models when this launches and next year will be interesting to follow. $350 wouldn't be too much at launch, but then within a year I'd like to see all models get discounted or the original be replaced with the premium at $300.

Also the idea of games that will only be playable on this is messy. Whenever Nintendo has done that before it's always been like 2-4 games total. But I have a feeling if they will allow this it'll be to get more third party multiplat ports from XB1/XBS/PS4/PS5 onto the system, so it could be a lot more games. But if this is the then Nintendo should replace the original version with this version entirely, and get it down to $300 as soon as possible, so that the install base for premium-model-only games rises in order to get more interest for more high end 3rd party ports. The whole thing is messy though, and even more so from a marketing perspective because then you have to make sure people aren't buying games that their model can't play.

Don't know exactly what Nintendo's strategy is, could just be their standard portable system upgrade, but it is possible they are trying to make this a large enough upgrade (therefore perhaps justifying an initial high price tag like $400) to postpone a next-gen Switch for a long time, like maybe trying to push back a Switch 2 from a likely 2024 launch to something more like 2027, and treating this as an evolution of current gen that they eventually want most Switch owners to upgrade to that will be able to play a whole bunch of new multiplat higher end AAA games as well as having much improved performance/graphics for a second round of Nintendo IP that have already hit the Switch - thus extending the lifecycle. With an upgraded Switch Lite perhaps coming out in the next three years as well, and the original models eventually being discontinued and the premium models taking over their price points. That way instead of selling say 140-150 million Switches and starting from scratch with a new system in probably 2024, they go for 200+ million Switches by having this half-gen upgrade become like a Switch 1.5 that can play a new library of games without needing to start a whole new gen from scratch. Who knows...

The problem with this strategy is then consumers would learn that the device they buy will only get 2-3 years of the full library coming to it before a more powerful version comes out that gets exclusives. Maybe not right away this generation, because people don't know any better, but by next gen for sure. Then we will see Switch 2 sales bomb while people wait for the Switch 2 Pro to come out 3-4 years later that can play the full Switch 2 library. I don't see Nintendo getting themselves into that situation as they will want Switch 2 to have a good launch. 2-3 games for the Pros is fine, but if they start getting dozens of AAA games that the regular models can't handle you are going to see a lot more people over the coming generations hold off on buying into a new gem until the pro model ones out.

Did PS4 Pro or Xbox One X have exclusives the base consoles didn't have? I don't think so but am not certain. 

True, but should Switch 2/Pro/whatever be deprived from ports of more powerful and demanding games only for the sake of not pissing base Switch owners?

I don't see this Switch 2 getting exclusives the base model don't have except by third party ports of PS4 and Xbox Games that would never be in base Switch anyway 

Not going to get myself too hyped as people hyped NX to the moon in power and didn't quite live up.

That said it would be neat if it had the performance of something similar to a PS4 pro without having as much raw power. Just with newer architecture and DLSS could give a similar performance. I don't expect it but it would be ideal.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Innovalias said:
Cobretti2 said:

Not sure on TVS, but their smart phones since about 2017 have had issues with screen burn. Before that, my other Samsung phones are flawless.

My aging (read: on its way out) Note 9 has zero burn-in, whereas my Galaxy S5 and S7 had icons, screen border and keyboard imprints. I have a 40" Samsung 4k OLED TV from 2017 that retains any image that lingers for more than a brief moment. 

My Note 8 has icons and keyboard imprints. I guess maybe every now and then there is a bad batch of screens. All my phones before this worked flawlessly.