By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Nvidia GPU For New Switch, 4K DLSS Graphics + Better CPU + More RAM

JEMC said:

The only problem is the usual one with these system upgrades, who will support all those extra features when only the owners of the new machine will enjoy them? After all, devs already have to work with two specs, and adding a third one may not please a lot of them.

Adding a third preset is much less hassle than adding a second preset.

They already use scalability, so most of the work is already done.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

To be honest, at this point the rumor seems to go more in line with a Switch 2 rather than a Switch Pro. After all, it supposedly changes everything from the original Switch, CPU, GPU and RAM capacity, making it a new machine.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out because the thing about the Switch is if you double the GPU/CPU spec lets say and double the memory bandwidth ... the system basically jumps ahead a generation. That's really not the case for a New 3DS or even a PS4 Pro. 

The Switch is kind of in an interesting spot where it's most comfortable being a Wii U+ tier machine but because the feature set of the chip is relatively modern it can stretch itself to handle ports of even PS4/XB1 games like Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal, it's just a fairly big pain in the ass to do it. 

But you even double that headroom and add in DLSS ... all of the sudden the entire PS4/XB1 library I have to think becomes reasonably doable to bring over, so that is going to be interesting to see how it pans out. 

It's like going on a long road trip in a car that is meant to seat 4-5 with 7 people ... sure you can do it, but you probably don't want to. But a Switch Pro with better specs and DLSS? Suddenly it's more like making that trip with only 4 people, that's entirely reasonable even for a long trip. 

Sure, doable, but developers think about not just cost of development but also how much they will make off the game. A ps4 port for the pro only would mean only (best case) a 40-50 million install base (if literally everyone only bought pros starting this holiday and the lite/original were not bought anymore). Then they have to predict how much of that install base will buy the game. Most current Switch owners won't upgrade: I suspect 2/3 - 3/4 of Switch 1 lifetime sales won't be the Pro.

It may be a pain in the butt and expensive, but there is far more money to be made porting games to Switch original build. So then it comes down to whether or not they want to have a standard and pro version of the game. I just don't see a pro version only game being as financially lucrative.

JEMC said:
SKMBlake said:

Wasn't the change greater (or as great) than the Xbox One - Xbox One X gap wise ?

Since we know nothing about the specs of this rumored new Switch, it's impossible to know how big or small could be the improvement.

Also, the Xbox One X had more RAM and a better GPU compared to the base model, but the CPU was the same, only running at higher frequencies. This Bloomberg article says that not only it will come with more RAM, but both the GPU and the CPU will be "better". If that only means faster, then there won't be much of an improvement.

X didn't just have more ram but used GDDR5 like PS4 instead of the DDR3 of the other models of Xbox One.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Dulfite said:
Soundwave said:

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out because the thing about the Switch is if you double the GPU/CPU spec lets say and double the memory bandwidth ... the system basically jumps ahead a generation. That's really not the case for a New 3DS or even a PS4 Pro. 

The Switch is kind of in an interesting spot where it's most comfortable being a Wii U+ tier machine but because the feature set of the chip is relatively modern it can stretch itself to handle ports of even PS4/XB1 games like Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal, it's just a fairly big pain in the ass to do it. 

But you even double that headroom and add in DLSS ... all of the sudden the entire PS4/XB1 library I have to think becomes reasonably doable to bring over, so that is going to be interesting to see how it pans out. 

It's like going on a long road trip in a car that is meant to seat 4-5 with 7 people ... sure you can do it, but you probably don't want to. But a Switch Pro with better specs and DLSS? Suddenly it's more like making that trip with only 4 people, that's entirely reasonable even for a long trip. 

Sure, doable, but developers think about not just cost of development but also how much they will make off the game. A ps4 port for the pro only would mean only (best case) a 40-50 million install base (if literally everyone only bought pros starting this holiday and the lite/original were not bought anymore). Then they have to predict how much of that install base will buy the game. Most current Switch owners won't upgrade: I suspect 2/3 - 3/4 of Switch 1 lifetime sales won't be the Pro.

It may be a pain in the butt and expensive, but there is far more money to be made porting games to Switch original build. So then it comes down to whether or not they want to have a standard and pro version of the game. I just don't see a pro version only game being as financially lucrative.

I think we're kind of in unchartered waters here. This is the first hardware really under Furukawa and he may well have a different hardware philosophy from Iwata (Kimishima kinda doesn't count as he was just an interim guy) just as the Iwata era was quite different from the Yamauchi era hardware wise. DLSS and OLED are much more premium types of features than one would expect out of Nintendo. 

Smaller scale games may not get a port, but if the Switch Pro/Super/Ultra/Whatever is 2-3x the existing Switch, I could see a Square-Enix having interest in porting say a Final Fantasy VII Remake because they would sell a fair amount.

The other thing is the Mariko (red box) Switches actually probably could be overclocked if Nintendo really wanted to, so you could have a situation where a "Pro" game runs at say 500 GFLOP undocked (this will work even on Mariko models, but the battery life will drop to 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours like the OG Switch) but has 1 TFLOP docked as an example (4K DLSS). 

That would run not only on Switch Pro models but Switch Red box (Mariko) models, suddenly that's a lot more than just 30-40 million users. Maybe even for the Lite you could even clock higher since it has the same 16nm Mariko chip, but Nintendo could have a message telling Lite users that this is a Pro performance title and a battery pack is recommended. 

Soundwave said:

The other thing is the Mariko (red box) Switches actually probably could be overclocked if Nintendo really wanted to, so you could have a situation where a "Pro" game runs at say 500 GFLOP undocked (this will work even on Mariko models, but the battery life will drop to 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours like the OG Switch) but has 1 TFLOP docked as an example (4K DLSS). 

Reminds me of the PSP which was clocked at 222 MHz at first and later overclocked 50% to 333 MHz.

Even the PSP-1000 model.

Around the Network
Raphael said:

In my opinion, the LG OLED-TVs have no burn-in issue. I and my friends played thousands of hours for 6 years now.

Not sure about samsung.

Not sure on TVS, but their smart phones since about 2017 have had issues with screen burn. Before that, my other Samsung phones are flawless.

Tensor cores seem to be avaiable in Volta as well:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volta_(microarchitecture)

Peh said:

Please no OLED. Looking at the flagship smartphones by Samsung I've got, they all ended with burn-in issues. IMO, I would prefer LCD.

I've only ever had flagship Samsung smartphones since the Galaxy S1 and I never had any burn in issues.

I might even buy the new Switch if it has an OLED, it's never gonna get used enough to get burn in anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Seems to be in line with what was expected of a premium Switch model: bigger better screen, more memory, 4k with DLSS, more powerful chip. Still waiting to hear if storage is expanded over the tiny 32gb, what battery life will be, and if they'll be adding bluetooth support.

Hopefully this won't be over $350. I don't see this selling that well if it is say $400. With Switch so insanely popular it doesn't make sense to discount the two current models yet, but at the same time you don't want premium Switch to be so expensive that it's in the XBSeries/PS5 price range. Pricing strategy of all three models when this launches and next year will be interesting to follow. $350 wouldn't be too much at launch, but then within a year I'd like to see all models get discounted or the original be replaced with the premium at $300.

Also the idea of games that will only be playable on this is messy. Whenever Nintendo has done that before it's always been like 2-4 games total. But I have a feeling if they will allow this it'll be to get more third party multiplat ports from XB1/XBS/PS4/PS5 onto the system, so it could be a lot more games. But if this is the then Nintendo should replace the original version with this version entirely, and get it down to $300 as soon as possible, so that the install base for premium-model-only games rises in order to get more interest for more high end 3rd party ports. The whole thing is messy though, and even more so from a marketing perspective because then you have to make sure people aren't buying games that their model can't play.

Don't know exactly what Nintendo's strategy is, could just be their standard portable system upgrade, but it is possible they are trying to make this a large enough upgrade (therefore perhaps justifying an initial high price tag like $400) to postpone a next-gen Switch for a long time, like maybe trying to push back a Switch 2 from a likely 2024 launch to something more like 2027, and treating this as an evolution of current gen that they eventually want most Switch owners to upgrade to that will be able to play a whole bunch of new multiplat higher end AAA games as well as having much improved performance/graphics for a second round of Nintendo IP that have already hit the Switch - thus extending the lifecycle. With an upgraded Switch Lite perhaps coming out in the next three years as well, and the original models eventually being discontinued and the premium models taking over their price points. That way instead of selling say 140-150 million Switches and starting from scratch with a new system in probably 2024, they go for 200+ million Switches by having this half-gen upgrade become like a Switch 1.5 that can play a new library of games without needing to start a whole new gen from scratch. Who knows...

There is now a rumour from a leaker who correctly leaked Nvidia's Ampere GPUs many months before the announcement that suggests the Switch Pro might be using next gen Nvidia's Lovelace architecture. If true, that would be nuts!

https://videocardz.com/newz/next-gen-nintendo-switch-rumored-to-feature-nvidia-ada-lovelace-gpu-architecture

Take it with a grain of salt though

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850