By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bloomberg: New Nvidia GPU For New Switch, 4K DLSS Graphics + Better CPU + More RAM

Two solid rumors against that bias DF video.

Around the Network

If they release it at a higher price then i don't think the rumors saying they will get rid of the original model quickly are true. They can't remove their 300$ option or even remove the chance to dabble into a more affordable kind of audience. That would really be a weird decision.

Agente42 said:

Given that both rumors come from Bloomberg, that's not prove of anything.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

If I am not mistaken, Bloomberg also said that they are halting the production of regular switch (makito) chips.
It means that this newer chip is also coming to switch lite and regular switch, and they have to keep them at the same price.
So, it seems that this chip will not have a big leap from regular. Maybe is just the newer regular chip with an extra tensor core module for DLSS.

Some easy predictions:
-I cant expect any price drops, considering the high demand for the switch and chips in general, it is also in good momentum. Not seeing any price drops until 2023. Then they could experiment 180/250/300$, but considering Nintendo, still unlikely.
-Also, seems that the battery life of the 3 devices will be higher. Better chips for old models and less battery intensive oled screen (and DLSS disabled when on portable mode) for the newer.
-The differential seems to be the DLSS, so, no exclusives. Not even in the future. Regular switch just renders in low res, the newer works in the same way, but use AI to increase the resolution to 4k when docked. So old switches could also receive the games. They will not distinguish the regular switch based on the version of the chip, so, every game that is on newer chips should as well be on old chips.

JEMC said:
Agente42 said:

Given that both rumors come from Bloomberg, that's not prove of anything.

wrong

nate came with the rumor too. 

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:

(makito) 

dead

It was Mariko 

Seems this is rapidly approaching all but officially confirmed territory so now just to wait for Nintendo to drop a trailer for it on a random day. The gap between the original Switch and this could end up being as long as 4.5 years so it could easily be made to be a big improvement and that would be very enticing to many existing owners for an upgrade.

I'm hoping there's something more to it than just graphics and resolution bump. Not that better graphics are a bad thing, but for Switch owners, it probably wasn't the key factor that drove them to it.

JEMC said:

To be honest, at this point the rumor seems to go more in line with a Switch 2 rather than a Switch Pro. After all, it supposedly changes everything from the original Switch, CPU, GPU and RAM capacity, making it a new machine.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out because the thing about the Switch is if you double the GPU/CPU spec lets say and double the memory bandwidth ... the system basically jumps ahead a generation. That's really not the case for a New 3DS or even a PS4 Pro. 

The Switch is kind of in an interesting spot where it's most comfortable being a Wii U+ tier machine but because the feature set of the chip is relatively modern it can stretch itself to handle ports of even PS4/XB1 games like Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal, it's just a fairly big pain in the ass to do it. 

But you even double that headroom and add in DLSS ... all of the sudden the entire PS4/XB1 library I have to think becomes reasonably doable to bring over, so that is going to be interesting to see how it pans out. 

It's like going on a long road trip in a car that is meant to seat 4-5 with 7 people ... sure you can do it, but you probably don't want to. But a Switch Pro with better specs and DLSS? Suddenly it's more like making that trip with only 4 people, that's entirely reasonable even for a long trip. 

Soundwave said:
JEMC said:

To be honest, at this point the rumor seems to go more in line with a Switch 2 rather than a Switch Pro. After all, it supposedly changes everything from the original Switch, CPU, GPU and RAM capacity, making it a new machine.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out because the thing about the Switch is if you double the GPU/CPU spec lets say and double the memory bandwidth ... the system basically jumps ahead a generation. That's really not the case for a New 3DS or even a PS4 Pro. 

The Switch is kind of in an interesting spot where it's most comfortable being a Wii U+ tier machine but because the feature set of the chip is relatively modern it can stretch itself to handle ports of even PS4/XB1 games like Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal, it's just a fairly big pain in the ass to do it. 

But you even double that headroom and add in DLSS ... all of the sudden the entire PS4/XB1 library I have to think becomes reasonably doable to bring over, so that is going to be interesting to see how it pans out. 

It's like going on a long road trip in a car that is meant to seat 4-5 with 7 people ... sure you can do it, but you probably don't want to. But a Switch Pro with better specs and DLSS? Suddenly it's more like making that trip with only 4 people, that's entirely reasonable even for a long trip. 

The only problem is the usual one with these system upgrades, who will support all those extra features when only the owners of the new machine will enjoy them? After all, devs already have to work with two specs, and adding a third one may not please a lot of them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.