By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Zack Snyder's Justice League: Did you watch it?

Is Zack Snyder's Justice League better than theatrical

Yes 26 56.52%

No 4 8.70%

Don't care 11 23.91%

Same 5 10.87%

Total:46

I honestly feel Zack Snyder's Justice League is some sort of a vindication and redemption for him ever since Watchmen and 300 were able to leave similar impact with warmer receptions (not great and not terrible). The director's cut of Watchmen is widely revered. I wasn't an ardent fan of Snyder up until I saw Man of Steel. The reason why the latest movie is more of a vindication than a redemption is that the studio never allowed Snyder to complete his version that was ready in the form of an assembly cut with picture lock. The result was a Frankenstein wet clay mold from two directors for its theatrical release. Whedon being the other contributor for screenplay. 

A picture lock as suggested is something that is not to be confused with a completed movie. The assembly edit stays intact with pre-viz, concept videos and half completed/processed VFX shots and final script. The fact that AT&T approved 70 million dollars to complete his movie off the assembly cut helped in two things.

1. He was able to restore his own vision. 

2. establish the continuity off Batman V Superman that didn't click well with most DC fans.

It's utterly misleading when you state he remade his movie and not the studio in 2017. The first point implies this. The director had established that he never watched the theatrical cut in the first place.

An auteurist vision may not be synonymous with a good and worthwhile vision. But Justice League theatrical's critical reception in contrast to Snyder's version only helps more with the cause : auteur film-making and its merits. The end result was a continuity with more cohesiveness and fleshed out characters although a bit long, as the second point suggests. It was reported also that he had a 5 movie arc plan leading upto a Justice League 3. It might be very unlikely we could see it progressing at this stage, given the studio mandate and executive decisions going forth. Only time can tell.

Zack Snyder's Justice League clocks in at 4 hr 2min( credits included). Since it's broken into chapters, it helps for breaks in between. Zack takes the story credit this time along with Chris Terrio. Will Beall as a surprise addition too. Wonder Woman 1 also had a story credit from Zack. Both these movies depict WonderWoman as a warrior princess which seems to be badass and resonates better with the fans. Patty Jenkin's sequel suffered a setback to the character when that aspect was removed.

Currently Zack Snyder's Justice league is streaming on multiple platforms like HBO Max, HBO Go and localized platforms across regions outside of US, Bookmystream, Sky cinema, google play, apple TV being the prominent ones. 

Have you guys watched it or planning to? And those who watched it can share their opinions.

Around the Network

Enjoyed it. Would love to be able to buy it.

Saw it yesterday. Its still pretty bad, but is probably a bit better than the 2017 version. 

One thing I hated in this version was the colour grading, it just looked awful. It was bad in the 2017 version and is somehow worse in this one.

Last edited by pikashoe - on 21 March 2021

GameAnalyser said:

The reason why the latest movie is more of a vindication than a redemption is that the studio never allowed Snyder to complete his version that was ready in the form of an assembly cut with picture lock. The result was a Frankenstein wet clay mold from two directors for its theatrical release. Whedon being the other contributor for screenplay. 

A picture lock as suggested is something that is not to be confused with a completed movie. The assembly edit stays intact with pre-viz, concept videos and half completed/processed VFX shots and final script. The fact that AT&T approved 70 million dollars to complete his movie off the assembly cut helped in two things.

1. He was able to restore his own vision. 

This isn't a restoration of his vision.  Snyder has an editing and CGI studio in his own home in addition to having all his material on a hard drive; he wouldn't need a dime to "restore his vision" if this was actually made from his assembly edit.  Three years is more than enough time for him to have made the Snyder Cut by himself on his own time in his own home.

70 million dollars allowed him to use three years of hindsight to change his vision into a four-hour miniseries (which by itself requires a complete retooling of the story's structure and pacing) by filming additional scenes, re-shooting existing ones, revising the script, and overhauling the VFX.  

You are certainly free to enjoy the final product, but this isn't anything close to his original vision.  It's not so much a restoration, but a do-over.

As for me, not going to bother with it.  Thanks to Wonder Woman 1984 bottoming out as Rotten (59% on the Tomatometer), I am now owed four consecutive Certified Fresh DC movies before I give anything of theirs a try, and it was Phase 1 of the Snyderverse that started this clock in the first place.  

Was a substantial improvement. A solid 7.5/10.

I thought the original was average, so a 5.5.

DC really need to string together a few good hits. We get crap like suicide squad, then we get hit with something that makes it feel like the ship is finally turning around like Wonder Woman....Then WW1984 hits us back to reality.

I thought Shazam wasn't too bad either though I doubt I'll ever go back to rewatch it. Joker was great.

It's just so hard to get a read on wtf they're doing meanwhile.... WandaVision comes out and kills it. Do more Joker, Wonder woman and Shazam.

Around the Network

Is not perfect but a lot better than the 2017 version.
I really like the serious and pessimistic tone of the movie, and the new soundtrack is fantastic.
This movie has a coherent plot now and the characters are very well developed.
Ben Affleck is a very good mature Batman , still looks too bulky in suit ,but his version of Bruce Wayne is excellent.
Gal Gadot : The same charisma and energy from the original Wonder Woman movie but in a more mature woman now.
Jason Momoa : Bitter and lonely, just like the beguinning of Aquaman, the extra escenes with Mera and Vulko make his story and conflict more understable for the viewer.
Ezra Miller: Still the comic relief but less gringy, his introduction in the movie is really well done. Now is a young super hero, but no useless and estupid like the 2017 version.
Ray Fisher: The highlight of the movie in characterization , his back story is complete now, his conflict is evident and his relationship with his father is very well done.
Jeremy irons: A better Alfred with more pushy comments and interactions with Batman.
Ciaran Hinds: Steppenwolf is more menacing in this version (Looks better too) and his intentions and motivations are very clear now. Not a fantastic villain, but a solid one.
Connie Nielsen: Excelent queen Hipolita . The escenes with the amazons are a highlight of the movie.

In a cinema quality ranking i give this movie a 7.5 of 10
My personal ranking as a DC fan 9 of 10

Sorry for my bad english.
This is just my humble opinion.

This is how I'd describe it.

Snyder took a dump and called it Justice League, before he had time to polish it. Wehdon came along and took another dump on it. The result was Justice League 2017.

Now Snyder took a dump and had time to polish it. So yes, you can polish a turd, but its still turd.

I can't say that I will watch it again.

I enjoyed BVS a lot more.

I enjoyed this version more than the original 2017 version.  Is it perfect?  No, definitely not.  Is it enjoyable?  Definitely yes.  I'd probably give it a 6/10 (or 3/5 stars), which means it's good, but not great, and good enough to get a "fresh" rating from me.

One thing I found interesting is that a lot of things from the original movie were removed.  I'd estimate that this 4-hour movie only had about an hour or so of footage from the original movie.  The other 3 hours were "new" stuff.  Also, it should be clear that almost all of the "new" stuff was actually filmed before 2017.  Ben Affleck looks thinner in the credits scenes than he does for the main part of the movie.  That's because the credits scenes actually are new footage, but the whole main part of the movie is old footage. 

The original Zack Snyder movie and the 2017 movie were very different takes on the Justice League.  The Zack Snyder version is also clearly better.  The 2017 version is not only shorter, but it's just plain different (and worse).  I really have to ask, "what were they thinking"?  Now, I also never would have released a 4-hour movie in the theatres, but this movie has some obvious places where it could be edited.  I think if they really tried they could have gotten this down to a 3-hour movie and still told the same story.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 March 2021

Nope. Zack makes horrible films, his best films are almost average. I have no desire to see it. Only one good DCEU film exists that I know of. Shazam.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I had some vague interest in seeing what was changed but once I knew it was 4 hours that interest died. I can't envision spending that long on watchin a new version of a movie I didn't like the first time.