By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

curl-6 said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

If That list meets your standard for good 3rd party support then ur on the money. My standards are much different. Other than nmh3 that list is completely hopeless for me. A last minute announcement of the long rumored biomutant could be cool. Darksiders 3 and rage 2 would be SOMETHING at least. I doubt that happens though. Big AAA games are what im looking for. Ima console gamer, not a handheld gamer. Monster hunter ticks alot of boxes so props for that. that ones more personal preference tho.

Do games like Samurai Warriors 5 count as console type games, or is that not "AAA" enough?

No. Although  I haven't kept too currwnt, irc, sw/dw series have some nice cut scenes which I love, the overall ai and design is too simpliatic for what im referring to.  I really enjoyed the story of age of calamity, but the gameplay, despite being the most varied of what ive played in the series, was still a little too shallow imo. Talk about a perfect storm crossover tho.

Around the Network
Alistair said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

If That list meets your standard for good 3rd party support then ur on the money. My standards are much different. Other than nmh3 that list is completely hopeless for me. A last minute announcement of the long rumored biomutant could be cool. Darksiders 3 and rage 2 would be SOMETHING at least. I doubt that happens though. Big AAA games are what im looking for. Ima console gamer, not a handheld gamer. Monster hunter ticks alot of boxes so props for that. that ones more personal preference tho.

Yeap the Switch has terrible third party support. Not as bad as the Wii U maybe, but yeah. Sports games? Nope. Top games every year from Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed? Nope), EA? Mass Effect or Anthem or Jedi Fallen Order? Nope. It's the Nintendo game system.

Let me help you rephrase that. Nintendo has poor Western 3rd Party support. However, their Indie, AA, and Japanese 3rd Party support has been excellent. 

The Switch is getting so much Indie, AA, and Japanese support it's now even better than PlayStation's. 

Their Western AAA support has been average at best. It seems the Switch mainly gets the smaller/older games from these companies. However, it does receive some of the more bigger titles. It got Witcher 3, DOOM, DOOM Eternal, Wolfenstein 2, Immortals Fenyx, Overwatch, Apex Legends, NBA 2K (EA should learn from them), PGA 2K, Warframe, and more.

And did you seriously list Anthem as a "top" game? I think that's one title Switch owners won't want.

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:

Do games like Samurai Warriors 5 count as console type games, or is that not "AAA" enough?

No. Although  I haven't kept too currwnt, irc, sw/dw series have some nice cut scenes which I love, the overall ai and design is too simpliatic for what im referring to.  I really enjoyed the story of age of calamity, but the gameplay, despite being the most varied of what ive played in the series, was still a little too shallow imo. Talk about a perfect storm crossover tho.

Fair enough, but if you'll accept No More Heroes 3 then what about Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighbourville, Fall Guys, Tony Hawk, Outer Wilds, Subnautica Below Zero, are those not "console" experiences?

Were people so paranoid to think developers would just abandon a nearly 80 million userbase and counting immediately just because they couldn't do ray tracing on it? Switch will be supported for as long as its profitable by third parties.

curl-6 said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Fair enough, but if you'll accept No More Heroes 3 then what about Plants vs Zombies Battle for Neighbourville, Fall Guys, Tony Hawk, Outer Wilds, Subnautica Below Zero, are those not "console" experiences?

Nmh3 may not the best representation.  Honeatly that and bayonetta are a tough call, but I am hopeful. BUT I am excited for it so I felt it would be somehow disingenuous of me not to mention it as a game u started the convo w. That being said, I dont think fall guys in on the same level as say witcher3. If I had to place nmh3 with 1 of those two games, its not going w fall guys. Im dont think im familiar enough w the others to comment.   But it seems possible that ur too caught up on my use of the word "console".  And I use it because I feel the switch is mismarketed as a hybrid. The switches games are fine for a handheld, and looking them as AAA makes more sense in that scope, but, more relevwnt to this topic, how the switch gonna handle cyberpunk when the the ps5 version drops? Its not, and itd be silly to expect that.  What do u think the chances are that, if gollum releases this year, it releases on switch, with a physical version, AND tberes no download required  and its not a buggy mess like outer worlds. How bout gotham knights (a good example of a game fitting the description that im NOT into).  Side question, would it be more logical to compare subnautia wy time at portia?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Alistair said:

Yeap the Switch has terrible third party support. Not as bad as the Wii U maybe, but yeah. Sports games? Nope. Top games every year from Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed? Nope), EA? Mass Effect or Anthem or Jedi Fallen Order? Nope. It's the Nintendo game system.

Out of the 151 games on my Switch 29 are Nintendo first party games.

This is a pretty good way to measure third party support.

For Wii U, I have 14 games and 4 are third party, about 29%.
For the PS4, I have 8 games and 6 are third party, about 75%.
For the Switch, I have 26 games, and 15 are third party, about 58%.

I actually own about the same amount of first party games on my Switch as my Wii U (11 vs. 10 respectively).  The main difference for me between the two systems is third party games.  Third party games are the reason why my Switch library is much bigger than my Wii U library (26 games vs 14 currently).

Of course my PS4 has a higher percentage of third party games compared to either system, but then again, I don't really like very many games on the PS4.  In particular the first party games on the PS4 are not nearly as appealing as the first party games on either the Wii U or Switch (2 vs. 10 vs. 11).  It's not that the third party games on the Switch are bad, so much as the first party games on every Nintendo system are exceptionally good.  But I can tell you that I love my Switch a whole lot more than my Wii U.  Those third party games on the Switch matter a whole lot, to me at least.   On top of that the third party releases this year look better than every previous year, and there are still already released third party games that I still want to buy.

Switch is exactly the type of system I want from Nintendo: great first party games and lots of third party games.  I don't need AAA Western games, because I think almost all of these games suck anyway.  I just need a lot of third party games to come to a Nintendo system.  If the games come, then I will find stuff that I want to play.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 21 March 2021

I've owned more third than first party games on most Nintendo systems I've owned, all except N64 and Gamecube actually now that I think about it.

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:

Nmh3 may not the best representation.  Honeatly that and bayonetta are a tough call, but I am hopeful. BUT I am excited for it so I felt it would be somehow disingenuous of me not to mention it as a game u started the convo w. That being said, I dont think fall guys in on the same level as say witcher3. If I had to place nmh3 with 1 of those two games, its not going w fall guys. Im dont think im familiar enough w the others to comment.   But it seems possible that ur too caught up on my use of the word "console".  And I use it because I feel the switch is mismarketed as a hybrid. The switches games are fine for a handheld, and looking them as AAA makes more sense in that scope, but, more relevwnt to this topic, how the switch gonna handle cyberpunk when the the ps5 version drops? Its not, and itd be silly to expect that.  What do u think the chances are that, if gollum releases this year, it releases on switch, with a physical version, AND tberes no download required  and its not a buggy mess like outer worlds. How bout gotham knights (a good example of a game fitting the description that im NOT into).  Side question, would it be more logical to compare subnautia wy time at portia?

So by console you mean games that are at the high end of the console space in terms of graphics and budget then? Granted, Switch as a hybrid device that has to function as a handheld is never gonna be competitive with a dedicated home console released close to four years after it in that respect.

I guess it comes down to personal parameters then; as someone who only uses my Switch as a home console, I feel like it does just fine in this respect; games like Doom 2016/Eternal, Hellblade, Witcher 3, Ori, Sniper Elite 4, Crash 4, etc felt like "console" experiences to me and I'm sure upcoming games like Monster Hunter Rise, Subnautica Below Zero, and No More Heroes 3 will too.

I'm not familiar with My Time at Portia so I couldn't comment on that.

CarcharodonKraz said:
curl-6 said:

Side question: Why buy these games you mention on console at all? As you mention, even on PS5 you have an inferior experience compared to the PC. That's how I see it. PC is for the AAA-cookie cutter crap like Cyberpunk and AssCreed:Valhalla and so on. While Switch is perfect for the more unique gaming experiences.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The most successful Ninty consoles usually die only when Ninty decides they must die, and so mostly does 3rd party support too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mnementh said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

Side question: Why buy these games you mention on console at all? As you mention, even on PS5 you have an inferior experience compared to the PC. That's how I see it. PC is for the AAA-cookie cutter crap like Cyberpunk and AssCreed:Valhalla and so on. While Switch is perfect for the more unique gaming experiences.

Preauming u were actually curious about said side question, I dont care for the inherent digital and online heavy market place that pcs come with.   Also w my laptop every other time I open it up some background windows process slows it to a hault for like 20min. My ps4 does not. Theres a more streamline hassle free experience w a dedicated gaming device. And I got my ps4 for 300 bundled w a game. It almost doesnt seem worth it to jump into the pc world @ that pricepoint.