By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

Dulfite said:
curl-6 said:

You predict that by this time next year, third party support will have disappeared?

I predict nothing.

neither love for all? 

Around the Network

Nor didn't killed the switch itself

We reap what we sow

curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

I'm necro bumping this thread to see who is finally tasting the foot in their own mouth.

Oh wow, I'm a year early, my bad!

You predict that by this time next year, third party support will have disappeared?

Here is a prediction for Switch third party software sales:

FY2023 > FY2022 > FY2021

Where FY2021 ends March 31, 2021.

160rmf said:

Exactly, which was another prediction I came across a lot in 2017-2019. Cos why would anyone buy a system less powerful than a base Xbox One when they could buy a super duper 4K next gen powerhouse instead? Heck, before launch people said the same thing about PS4 Pro and Xbox One X killing the Switch at birth by being so far ahead of it in power.

How easily people forget history; that the DS became the second highest selling system ever while selling alongside the PS3 and 360, or that the PS2 became the highest selling system ever while selling alongside two more powerful competitors.

curl-6 said:
160rmf said:

Exactly, which was another prediction I came across a lot in 2017-2019. Cos why would anyone buy a system less powerful than a base Xbox One when they could buy a super duper 4K next gen powerhouse instead? Heck, before launch people said the same thing about PS4 Pro and Xbox One X killing the Switch at birth by being so far ahead of it in power.

How easily people forget history; that the DS became the second highest selling system ever while selling alongside the PS3 and 360, or that the PS2 became the highest selling system ever while selling alongside two more powerful competitors.

It’s been a myth ever since the Mastersystem. I don’t even know if the rivalry was even close to as serious as video game rivalries became later. But, as a dumbass kid, I viewed the Nintendo vs Sega similarly to how I currently view the American political system, aka the popularity contest with consequences, now that I’m a dumbass adult.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 13 March 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
curl-6 said:

I remember people saying something like that. It was an argument I've never got, because the release of a system from one brand has never impacted sales of another, older system from a different brand. The Switch had no effect on PS4 & XBO sales, and it stood to reason that the PS5 & XBS will have no impact on Switch sales. Well, so far, so good, considering the Switch is still doing very well. It's no different from how, for example, the release of the 360 did nothing to hurt PS2 sales. Now, when a new-gen system in one brand is released, it tends to cause the post-peak decline in sales of its predecessor to decline, but that's something different entirely as that system is intended to replace another. The only system that will impact the Switch's sales will be its successor.

Now, when you have two or more competing consoles that offer very similar experiences, there is a fight over market share within a specific generation. That's been a fight between PlayStation & Xbox for four generations now. Outside of their exclusives, they offer nearly identical experiences, and therefore compete over market share. While it's not a complete zero-sum contest and there is some overlap, with some people (like myself) owning both PS and Xbox systems, most people that buy one will not buy the other. The market for those "conventional" consoles is around 160-170M units per generation globally (65-70M in the U.S., 60-65M in Europe, 9-10M in Japan).

But Nintendo has been offering substantially different experiences, and thus isn't necessarily competing over market share with Sony & MS. They do their own thing and fill their own niche in the market. There appears to be a substantially greater percentage of people who own a Nintendo system and either a PS or Xbox (or sometimes both) than the percentage of PS owners who own an Xbox or vice versa. For example, there was an NPD survey published in Jan. 2020 indicating that 40% of Switch owners in the U.S. owned a PS4 or XBO. Meanwhile, what little data I could find on PS-Xbox overlap indicates that at most maybe 10-15% of PS owners in the U.S. own an Xbox or vice versa.

Pretty much yeah, it's different enough that it coexists more than directly competes.

The graphics argument in particular never made much sense given the long history of systems outselling graphically superior options. I get that people thought low power would equal no third party support, but even that isn't necessarily the case, see the DS and 3DS for example. Heck, even the Wii had better third party support than people give it credit for.

Shadow1980 said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much yeah, it's different enough that it coexists more than directly competes.

The graphics argument in particular never made much sense given the long history of systems outselling graphically superior options. I get that people thought low power would equal no third party support, but even that isn't necessarily the case, see the DS and 3DS for example. Heck, even the Wii had better third party support than people give it credit for.

Yeah. Power doesn't ever correlate with commercial success. The PS4 was the first time the most powerful console from a given generation was also the best-selling one (maybe the second, if you don't count the Neo-Geo as a competitor to the SNES and Genesis; the SNES was more powerful than the Genesis and TG-16). It lost that distinction when the Xbox One X was released (it's not clear if the less powerful PS4 Pro outsold it), but for just the base models it still holds true. Pricing and the strength of the overall software library matter most, though things like marketing and regional differences in brand preference also contribute.

And third parties will indeed support just about any system out there. The difference is in the kind of games they'll put on weaker systems, as I detailed earlier in the thread.

From a handheld perspective, all Switch models are still very powerful (and quite efficient): https://switchchargers.com/nintendo-switch-lite-charging-and-power-usage/

• the Original Switch has a maximal power usage of 10 watts (8 watts on average)
  • the newer Switch revision has a maximal power usage of 8 watts (6 watts on average)
  • the Switch lite has a maximal power usage of 7.26 watts (6 watts on average)

All with Screen brightness 100%, WiFi on, Blue-tooth on. And less demanding Switch games are in the 3 - 5 watts area.

The new and very expensive PC handhelds (AYA Neo, GPD Win 3...) can run unoptiimed PC-versions only better than the optimized Switch versions, if they have a much higher power consumption (15 - 25 watts for the SoC, 20 - 30 watts for the whole device), which drains their batteries in 1 - 3 hours.

If you run these PC handhelds with a 10W-limit for the whole device (6W TDP for the SoC), games run like shit.

F. e. GTA V with 20 - 25 fps with the lowest settings, 66% resolution scale of 1280x800 and additional dynamic res scaling tricks (Radeon Boost) activated. 13 - 20 fps with the lowest settings, native 1280x800 and additional dynamic res scaling tricks (Radeon Boost) activated.

It looks much worse than the PS3 oder Xbox360 versions:

An optimized Switch version probably could match the PS360-versions in undocked mode with better image quality (better textures due to 8x the RAM of the 7th gen consoles).

So I'm still hoping for Switch versions of GTA 5 and GTA 4 and RDR 1 (and a GTA-collection of GTA 3 + Vice City + San Andreas + Liberty City Stories + Vice City Stories).

Last edited by Conina - on 14 March 2021

I'm pretty sure you'd have to wait for 3rd parties to abandon last gen, which will probably be a couple of years, before that would happen. Of course, by then Nintendo should be preparing to launch the Switch 2, so you won't really feel the effects except for the tail end.

If That list meets your standard for good 3rd party support then ur on the money. My standards are much different. Other than nmh3 that list is completely hopeless for me. A last minute announcement of the long rumored biomutant could be cool. Darksiders 3 and rage 2 would be SOMETHING at least. I doubt that happens though. Big AAA games are what im looking for. Ima console gamer, not a handheld gamer. Monster hunter ticks alot of boxes so props for that. that ones more personal preference tho.

CarcharodonKraz said:

If That list meets your standard for good 3rd party support then ur on the money. My standards are much different. Other than nmh3 that list is completely hopeless for me. A last minute announcement of the long rumored biomutant could be cool. Darksiders 3 and rage 2 would be SOMETHING at least. I doubt that happens though. Big AAA games are what im looking for. Ima console gamer, not a handheld gamer. Monster hunter ticks alot of boxes so props for that. that ones more personal preference tho.

Do games like Samurai Warriors 5 count as console type games, or is that not "AAA" enough?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 March 2021