By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Well, looks like next gen didn't kill Switch third party support

burninmylight said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Exclusive here mean something the original model didn't have.

GBC is 2 times stronger than GB, DSi is 2 times stronger than DS, New 3ds is 3 times stronger than 3DS, many games for those systems utilized the extra ram and extra cpu power to run. Want it or not, Switch Pro will be way stronger than Switch, and there will be at least 3-4 games (1st or 3rd party) that using the extra power of the pro, hence they won't be on Switch but will be on Switch pro.

Cool, I'm looking forward to Link's Awakening DX, Brain Training and Xenoblade Chronicles X 4K on the Switch Pro. All these brand new games that Nintendo will be taking a huge risk on.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that Fire Emblem Warriors wasn't exclusive (not your bastardized definition, true exclusive) to the New 3DS, because it launched alongside the Switch version, a.k.a. the one expected to carry the weight in terms of sales. You know damn well Nintendo wouldn't have made it only for the New 3DS if the Switch version didn't exist.

Except Fire Emblem Warriors didn't exist on old 3ds, just like Xenoblade, wonder why?

Around the Network

Let me give another example of the 18x times GPU performance that you could use, without making a SUPER Switch game no longer playable on the Switch.

Let's say the next Nintendo console is 18 times faster. Well, Apex Legends, being the exact same game runs at 720p/30 on the Switch in docked mode. 2160p/720p = 3 times more pixels per dimension, 3 x 3 = 9 times as many pixels in area. Plus doubling the frame rate to 60fps requires twice as many pixels. So running the bad looking Apex Legends on a SUPER Switch at 4k/60 would take up to 18 times more GPU performance than what we have.

This doesn't change the CPU or SSD limitations of the current Switch. If Nintendo makes a game limited to the storage and CPU limits of the current Switch, at least we can play them upgraded to 4k/60 if we want to buy a home console or upgraded SUPER Switch. That would be one choice.

If you need more than 2x CPU and storage speed, and more than 18x GPU speed, clearly those games will never get ported to Switch. That's the level of the PS5 and Series X. The gap is large.

Last edited by Alistair - on 11 March 2021

HoangNhatAnh said:
burninmylight said:

Cool, I'm looking forward to Link's Awakening DX, Brain Training and Xenoblade Chronicles X 4K on the Switch Pro. All these brand new games that Nintendo will be taking a huge risk on.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier that Fire Emblem Warriors wasn't exclusive (not your bastardized definition, true exclusive) to the New 3DS, because it launched alongside the Switch version, a.k.a. the one expected to carry the weight in terms of sales. You know damn well Nintendo wouldn't have made it only for the New 3DS if the Switch version didn't exist.

Except Fire Emblem Warriors didn't exist on old 3ds, just like Xenoblade, wonder why?

I'm sure you do.

But if the Switch didn't exist, then it would have been available for the original 3DS, just like Hyrule Warriors. Ponder that one too.

curl-6 said:

This discussion about theoretical Switch Pro exclusives is going a bit of topic and kinda derailing the thread.

Sorry, you're right. Was never my intention. The people quoting me keep repeating the same thing over and over, and it's going nowhere, so I'll leave it alone.

I'm necro bumping this thread to see who is finally tasting the foot in their own mouth.

Oh wow, I'm a year early, my bad!

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

I'm sure you do.

But if the Switch didn't exist, then it would have been available for the original 3DS, just like Hyrule Warriors. Ponder that one too.

Cool, so we would have a chance to see Fire Emblem Warriors became like Hyrule Warriors on old 3ds if not for Switch, wonder how many people would play it on  old 3ds after watching this?

https://youtu.be/y2J98CvVau4

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 11 March 2021

burninmylight said:
bowserthedog said:

None but its a completely different situation.  3rd party games were built from the ground up to run on the base xbox and ps4. Cross platforms games come to the Switch if they can run on the switch. With a more powerful pro model there will be a huge number of games that can now run on Switch. Sony and Microsoft also had policies against making exclusive games for their pro models which Nintendo has a history of not doing. The 3ds had no such policy.  Nate Drake on restera has already confirmed that there will be 3rd party games that come to the pro model and not the OG switch.

I have a hard time believing that any major/AAA third party games would come exclusively to a pro model that can't sell to 80+ million existing users. I know the wording is "3rd party games", which carries a very wide range, so that could just as easily mean obscure indy titles that made up the majority of N3DS exclusivity.

There is no way that games like Final Fantasy VII and Cyberpunk is going on it exclusively, except that Nintendo ensures publishers that the Switch 2 will also play them natively without any extra work necessary, and isn't that far off.

Nintendo and other publishers are the only ones that can confirm this. Not saying Nate Drake is wrong or spreading misinformation, but until an official source says it or shows it, or Nate Drake obtains some indisputable evidence, it's a rumor.

The 80 million install base is irrelevant for the type of ports you mentioned. Because you could never bring those titles to the original Switch. Nate said the type of games you might expect to see would be games like Madden. However, I doubt that's the game he heard about because he doesn't want to give the name of the actual title. Likely at first there would only be a few games in the launch window but as the pro model gains a larger install base you will see more titles come.  This is of coarse my opinion. I believe the main reason Nintendo is doing this model is so that it can gain revenue from more 3rd party ports. Its not like their own games wouldn't continue to sell well on the OG switch. 

Dulfite said:

I'm necro bumping this thread to see who is finally tasting the foot in their own mouth.

You predict that by this time next year, third party support will have disappeared?

curl-6 said:
Dulfite said:

You predict that by this time next year, third party support will have disappeared?

I predict nothing.

Shadow1980 said:

It was never going to, because, technically speaking, no Nintendo system has lacked third-party support, and they've all had vastly more third-party games than first-party games. Rather, the real issue in question is the kind of support Nintendo systems get from third parties.

Look at the third-party games the Switch has been getting. Some of them are bespoke titles, created just for the system. Think Octopath Traveler, Astral Chain, and Bravely Default II (Monster Hunter Rise kinda-sorta counts as well; it will have a PC port next year, but no PS or Xbox versions have been announced). Many of them are indies, mid-budget games, and ports of old Gen 7 games. And something that unifies third-party Switch games is that they are titles that aren't all that graphically intensive. The Switch has some high-profile multiplatform titles that go more for a unique or stylized art style rather than photo-realistic visuals. Dragon Quest XI and Samurai Warriors 5 come to mind.

The subject of cutting-edge graphics brings me to the big-budget Gen 8 AAA titles. Such games have been very few and far between on the Switch, and of the relative few that have arrived on the system, they have all been significantly downgraded from their PS4/XBO versions. I view those handful of titles more as "sure, why not?" experiments to see if they would sell on what is a very popular system (turns out they didn't sell as well as their PS & Xbox counterparts, even when the port wasn't released many months after the PS & Xbox version). Most of those games were Bethesda titles, though two other notable titles were from other publishers (MK11 from WB and The Witcher 3 from CDPR). Meanwhile, among the many titles and series that have been no-shows on Switch are Call of Duty, GTA5, Red Dead 2, Final Fantasy XV & VII Remake (the latter is coming to Xbox, but no Switch version is in sight), Resident Evil VII and the RE2 & 3 remakes, Destiny, Dark Souls III, Kingdom Hearts III, Battlefield, and most Gen 8 Star Wars games.

Once third parties inevitably stop development of AAA titles for the PS4 & XBO within the next couple of years (and Bethesda now being an MS subsidiary), we're probably not going to see many more big AAA PS/Xbox games ported to the Switch, though it's possible the Switch 2 could see downgraded ports of PS5 & XBS games (assuming Nintendo sticks with the hybrid model for their next system).

We've seen the same parallels with the past two Nintendo home consoles.

The Wii U's third-party support consisted mostly of lower-budget games, ports of Gen 7 games, and games initially made just for that system. But the big third-party AAA multiplatform games that were ubiquitous on PS4 & XBO were all but absent on the Wii U.

The Wii had a few notable exclusive third-party titles (Epic Mickey, Mad World, The Conduit, and No More Heroes come to mind), some ports of Gen 6 titles (e.g., Resident Evil 4, Okami, Bully), a few multiplatform titles that weren't all that graphically intensive to begin with (e.g., pretty much everything Ubisoft released for the system), a bunch of party games and shovelware, and all the stuff released on the Virtual Console or WiiWare. But where were the big AAA multiplatform titles? Sure, several Call of Duty games released on the Wii, but they were seriously downgraded from the 360/PS3 versions and didn't sell nearly as well as those versions.

The Wii, Wii U, and Switch all had something in common: they were far less powerful than their contemporaries. That effects what kind of games they get. Few AAA titles will run on a same-gen Nintendo console without serious compromises to the visuals and possibly other aspects of the game, and this has resulted in most third parties simply not bothering with such ports, with rare exceptions. It also doesn't help that people who buy Nintendo consoles do so primarily to play Nintendo games, with very few third-party titles attaining blockbuster status when compared to PlayStation & Xbox (the top five Switch titles are Nintendo titles, and just those five games combined make up nearly a quarter of all Switch software sales, excluding download-only titles). That also almost certainly affects the willingness of third parties to put their best possible efforts forward on Nintendo systems. Games like Monster Hunter are the exception on Nintendo systems, not the rule.

Just want to point out that Grand Theft Auto V was a Gen 7 game.  Regardless of how many XBox 360 and PS3 owners rebought the game on XBox One and PS4, it's still from Gen 7.  There's no reason that a game developed for 360/PS3 couldn't be on Switch other than Rockstar isn't interested.  Skyrim is on Switch after all.  And if I recall, the Switch version is much closer to the XBox One/PS4 remasters than the original 360/PS3 versions.  Rockstar probably just doesn't think Switch owners dump would as much of their money into online micro transactions as other platform/PC gamers.  

As for Call of Duty, I recall the Wii version of Call of Duty 3 sold quite while compared to other platforms at their time of release.

Here are some archived numbers from a thread I posted in April 2015 (Dispelling the myth that Wii did not move software):

PosGamePlatformYearGenrePublisherNorth AmericaEuropeJapanRest of WorldGlobal
1Call of Duty 3X3602006ShooterActivision1.470.920.020.272.68
2Call of Duty 3Wii2006ShooterActivision1.170.840.000.232.23
3Call of Duty 3PS32006ShooterActivision0.580.620.030.261.49
4Call of Duty 3PS22006ShooterActivision0.890.030.000.151.07
5Call of Duty 3XB2006ShooterActivision0.000.000.000.000.00
Total4.122.410.050.907.47