By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are you a minority?

Are you a minority?

Yes 38 52.78%

No 27 37.50%

IDK? 7 9.72%

Total:72

Mexican living in the Southwest United States.

So yeah.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Atheist is not really a minority in many developed countries these days. Many who identify as a member of a religion tend to live secular lives or know very little about scripture.

If anything, most people are agnostic. Even people who claim to be atheist will often show they're agnostic and even entertain some spiritual ideas.

You can be both agnostic *and* athiest.

Gnosticism is about knowledge. Theism is about belief. Most Theists and Atheists alike are agnostic. It's the gnostic variants that you should look out for. 

I know enough about Gnosticism to know its a form of Christianity. It just has different ideas of how we achieve salvation.

Saying you're agnostic AND atheist is essentially saying, "there is definitely no God, but there could be!"

I mean both atheism and agnosticism is both kinda philosophical. I am sure people who identify as either entertain spirituality or supreme power in some sense. The only thing I know for certain is the person who identifies as an atheist will generally be the bigger asshole and complains about Christians.

User was banned for this post - Hiku

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 February 2021

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Gnosticism is about knowledge. Theism is about belief. Most Theists and Atheists alike are agnostic. It's the gnostic variants that you should look out for. 

I know enough about Gnosticism to know its a form of Christianity. It just has different ideas of how we achieve salvation.

Saying you're agnostic AND atheist is essentially saying, "there is definitely no God, but there could be!"

I mean both atheism and agnosticism is both kinda philosophical. I am sure people who identify as either entertain spirituality or supreme power in some sense. The only thing I know for certain is the person who identifies as an atheist will generally be the bigger asshole and complains about Christians.

Being agnostic and athiest means, You don't know if there's a God but you don't believe.
Being agnostic and thiest means, you don't know if there is a god, but you believe there is. 

The same way I don't know that life exists outside of earth, but I believe it does. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I hope this doesn't turn into another action packed religion discussion ? 

just wanted to add that in fact we are all have at least a bit of agnosticism in us, since no religion claims to be able to understand God, and no one has a certain answer on whether God exists or not - perhaps apart from Saints, Apostles, prophets, mentally healthy witnesses, monks etc...

so, do I believe God exists? - deist, atheist or agnostic

if deist, do I believe God came into contact with humans - theist

if theist, which religion makes the most sense, most evidence/probability of being right, is best for me... then denominations, interpretations, personal beliefs...

Last edited by dark_gh0st_b0y - on 25 February 2021

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Straight black male, here.
Minority in The United States of America.

It's pretty cool, I must admit. Highly recommended.

Around the Network

Loved the WiiU and have 200+ games for it sooooo I think there are 43 of us that fall under that label.

To answer in the spirit in which I think the OP asked, Within my country, No not a minority.

The only thing that could put me as a minority in my country is being an atheist. Supposedly I'm seriously a minority in that regard, around 90% of the population practice Roman Catholicism, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people in Mexico who actually don't profess the religion despite the fact they claim to do so.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I'm a lesbian on a video game message board and on the asexual spectrum. And an atheist. And a Texas Democrat. And I liked Death Stranding. And I still listen to tapes.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 24 February 2021

Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I have worked with three different atheists. They all were pretty bullish about their beliefs. They all used to spent WAAAY more time and effort trying to convince everybody about their beliefs than the Christians we had in the company.

Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Gnosticism is, as was explained, a term that relates to claims of knowledge. However, certain sects of Christianity have identified themselves as gnostic. Sometimes words have multiple meanings. 

dark_gh0st_b0y said:

I hope this doesn't turn into another action packed religion discussion 😅 

just wanted to add that in fact we are all have at least a bit of agnosticism in us, since no religion claims to be able to understand God, and no one has a certain answer on whether God exists or not - perhaps apart from Saints, Apostles, prophets, mentally healthy witnesses, monks etc...

so, do I believe God exists? - theist, atheist or agnostic

if theist, do I believe God came into contact with humans - religious or agnostic

if religious, which religion is makes the most sense, most evidence/probability of being right, is best for me... then denominations, interpretations, personal beliefs...

Nobody has a certain answer on whether there is a god or not, but many people claim to have certainty one way or the other. I can definitely refer you to some Christians who claim to know this absolutely.

Within the atheist community at least, the term atheist would refer to someone who does not believe there is a god, and agnostic vs agnostic would refer to how strongly they believe that claim. 

A person who believe in a god that does not interact with humans would generally be labeled a deist, which would be a subset of theism. I've never heard agnostic used to mean someone who believes in a god that does not interact with humans. 

At any rate, if the labels get in the way, the thing to do is drop them. I am not convinced that any gods exist, and I am convinced that every god presented by humans does not exist, at least as described. I would identify as an atheist generally, or an agnostic atheist, but if someone wants to label me differently, I'm not all that concerned, as long as are not trying to use that label to argue that I believe something that I don't (i.e. You're an atheist, so you're absolutely sure god doesn't exist).

Whether that makes me a minority, I dunno. Everybody is going to belong to some kind of minority, but I think the term is best used to describe groups that are easily identifiable. I can pretty easily pick and choose whether or not I want specific people to know that I'm an atheist, whereas if I were black, people would most likely be able to tell by looking at me. So, it's a different thing. Again, I'm not interested in labels (technically both would be minorities), but I think there's an important difference between racial minorities, religious minorities, sexual minorities, etc.