By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

Spindel said:

Man last night I had my first capture quest and had no idea how to do it. Failed it once (accidentally killed the monster), wasted 7 pit fall traps and about 40 tranq bombs. Then after a long time on my second try I notice my palico saying that the monster was ripe for capture and I succeded then.

Capture quests always threw a wrench into progression for new hunters, as they break a bit the flow. You have to look for signs the monster is weakening. In Rise it is easy as never before, because - as you noted - your Palico tells you it is ripe and also the monster icon on the top right gets a small blue icon below it to indicate it can be captured. If you go for the kill this indicates also you are close to killing.

BTW: There is a capturing training quest.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 08 April 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Spindel said:

Man last night I had my first capture quest and had no idea how to do it. Failed it once (accidentally killed the monster), wasted 7 pit fall traps and about 40 tranq bombs. Then after a long time on my second try I notice my palico saying that the monster was ripe for capture and I succeded then.

Capture quests always threw a wrench into progression for new hunters, as they break a bit the flow. You have to look for signs the monster is weakening. In Rise it is easy as never before, because - as you noted - your Palico tells you it is ripe and also the monster icon on the top right gets a small blue icon below it to indicate it can be captured. If you go for the kill this indicates also you are close to killing.

BTW: There is a capturing training quest.

I’m completley to those indicators you are talking about :P

And I multiple times tried to look for signs that the monster was tiring either undershooting or overshooting until my palico said it was time :P

Man, Tobi-Kadachi taught me a lesson; I was getting overconfident and while he didn't quite manage to kill me, he got damn close several times. I'd let myself get complacent and forgot that this is still every bit a Monster Hunter game and as such designed to kick your arse. He's so damn fast, often loops several attacks together so as to hit you when you think he's done and go in to deal damage, and cos he's electric this can easily lead to you getting stunned and chained.

I've almost finished building a full set of Bishaten armour to replace my full set Aknosom set. All I'm missing is the headpiece, for which I need just one more horn. After killing him three times so far I've only managed to score one horn. Want to finish this set before I take on Magnomalo.

I've been running Gunlance and I've noticed that there's multiple ways to play Gunlance. You can do a BONK! build where you use wide shells to stun the monster. This build is a lot like being a Hammer main except you are a bit slower, and can block. Also it barely does any damage. You're basically the tank.

Or you can do an aerial Gunlance build where you are constantly jumping via wirebug and slamming down to unload all your shells at once. This build does a high amount of damage and is really mobile with the Switch skills.

Finally you can do what I call the POKE! build. You use Long Shot ammo and add Charged shot as one of your Switch skills. The idea here is to safely poke/blast behind your shield. You can hit down + A after a charged shot to go directly into a Dragonstake shot. Hitting X directly after you fire a shot moves you forward a bit. The combo of A, X, A, X along with the long range of Long Ammo keeps you within attack range for longer.

What playstyles are you guys using with your weapons? Post your armor/weapon builds here!

Edit: You know what? Aerial gunlance is the best simply because it let's you close the distance on all those monsters that jump 100 feet across the map.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 April 2021

Some details in this game are really amusing. I just got cought by an Arzeros and it shook me and stole one honey I was carrying. Then it sat down and ate that honey while I pummeled it.

Sorry if this is a well know thing, I just found it to be really amusing :)

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

What playstyles are you guys using with your weapons? Post your armor/weapon builds here!

For most fights I'm using sword and shield; usually the Chief Kukri, but also elemental ones like the Khezu Razor, Cunning Riposte, and Frost Edge when I want to take advantage of an enemy's elemental weakness. My Switch Skills are Sliding Slash and Drill Slash.

The other main weapons I use are the lance, gunlance, charge blade, and dual blades; focussing mostly on the ore and bone trees for those for the moment.

For armor I just finished a full Bishaten set, and for buddies I use one of each.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 09 April 2021

Cerebralbore101 said:

I've been running Gunlance and I've noticed that there's multiple ways to play Gunlance. You can do a BONK! build where you use wide shells to stun the monster. This build is a lot like being a Hammer main except you are a bit slower, and can block. Also it barely does any damage. You're basically the tank.

Or you can do an aerial Gunlance build where you are constantly jumping via wirebug and slamming down to unload all your shells at once. This build does a high amount of damage and is really mobile with the Switch skills.

Finally you can do what I call the POKE! build. You use Long Shot ammo and add Charged shot as one of your Switch skills. The idea here is to safely poke/blast behind your shield. You can hit down + A after a charged shot to go directly into a Dragonstake shot. Hitting X directly after you fire a shot moves you forward a bit. The combo of A, X, A, X along with the long range of Long Ammo keeps you within attack range for longer.

My friend plays poke lance and it seems really good with defence but still good damage (maybe just me who likes to play offensively). Also really fun with the flying across stage with what I assume is a wirebug skill.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Currently on Hunter rank 6 online so I have full High Rank great izuchi armor since it has good offence and was easy to make. Will probably try a mix of almudron + other next as I'm using charge blade and the skills seem good. Also I want to try the new switch skill and see how good it is with charge blade. Weapons I'm doing all I get the materials for and farm some extra if I'm close. Right now I use a goss harag CB (Surprise Axe II) with + ice attack and tetranodon CB (spinning takedown) haven't fixed any decorations yet. Also have carver pro decoration to not be annoyed by small monsters when carving

Spindel said:

Some details in this game are really amusing. I just got cought by an Arzeros and it shook me and stole one honey I was carrying. Then it sat down and ate that honey while I pummeled it.

Sorry if this is a well know thing, I just found it to be really amusing :)

While the game can be overwhelming with all the small thing one have to think about. Many things like these certainly makes the game feel more alive. Also like how if you have the felvine item on you the thieving feline will only steal that from you instead of any random item.

Well, I finally carted for the first time, against Magnamalo. Beat him right after though, so vengeance was mine.

Just got done with Nargacuga and Zinogre; the former was a stiff challenge with how damn fast and aggressive he was, the latter was significantly easier than I remember him being in Monster Hunter 4, though that's definitely not a bad thing.

Apkopf said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

My friend plays poke lance and it seems really good with defence but still good damage (maybe just me who likes to play offensively). Also really fun with the flying across stage with what I assume is a wirebug skill.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Currently on Hunter rank 6 online so I have full High Rank great izuchi armor since it has good offence and was easy to make. Will probably try a mix of almudron + other next as I'm using charge blade and the skills seem good. Also I want to try the new switch skill and see how good it is with charge blade. Weapons I'm doing all I get the materials for and farm some extra if I'm close. Right now I use a goss harag CB (Surprise Axe II) with + ice attack and tetranodon CB (spinning takedown) haven't fixed any decorations yet. Also have carver pro decoration to not be annoyed by small monsters when carving.

Blast Dash isn't a wirebug skill. That's what makes it so great! 

What armor are you using with the Surprise Axe II? 

Currently HR7, playing exclusively with Long Swords, but im crafting Switch Axes as secondary weapons.

I always go with Great Swords or Switch Axes or Long Swords. Melee combat is what I enjoy the most. 
Gameplay wise, Long Swords work almost the same as they did in MHW, which is great I guess. 

Also wearing that kinda weird Mizutsune set while hunting Magnamalos for their set, Ive seen it has skills that fit my style and it looks badass. 
Farming for decorations is a bit of a drag tbh, the lack of quest variety makes it so that im repeating a los of the quests. Really missing the investigations of MHW. I hope they implement them in the future, would be useful for all that faming.

Im nearing the endgame I think, and this is the part of the game im enjoying the most, difficulty has finally spiked to a decent point for a good challenge. 
Rakna Kadaki is my favorite "new Monster" also, that fight is a blast. And that set is awesome, its a shame that the skills are  oriented to bowguns.