By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Monster Hunter Rise Thread

It's weird. Maybe it's because the first half of the game is so easy that I kind of underestimated the game and stopped taking it too seriously. But I actually feel like this game gets pretty hard in the five star quests of the Village (and obviously beyond for the hub, though I haven't gotten there yet). That's Magnamalo's tier. Though I will say, once you get used to Magnamalo's telltale signs, he's pretty easy. But I find the other monsters kind of challenging. Maybe it's because if I've used a potion or two already, I try not to use potions when I'm on half health. But I find the game a lot harder than World (though in fairness, I never played vanilla World's elder dragons besides Nergigante, so maybe that would make that game harder).

It's still a bit too easy, but I don't really agree that it's easier than World .

Around the Network

As far as difficulty, I never played World, but it's definitely easier than MH 3 and 4.

That said, I don't feel it's too easy, at least for me personally; I'm just finishing up four star tier (village quests) and Barioth put up a good challenge. I definitely would've struggled against him if I didn't have prior series experience.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Got it recently and having fun with it so far, I'm still digesting a lot of the changes and seeing what sticks and doesn't for me compared to the older MH games.

I'm not sure about how to judge it difficulty wise, I have only fought 2 large monsters and it was pretty simple but, I think one just get naturally used to being better at MH that it can make the early game on new entries seem easier, which sounds fairly obvious but,

I started a clean file on MH4 recently, and the game didn't really push me hard besides a few tricky monsters like Khezu and the Gore Magala battles until reaching the sky village, which is 4 to 5 ranks worth of monsters, a lot of them didn't took me around 10 minutes to complete, which is not knock on 4 as the fights are still exciting and you get a good feel for it even in that time frame. It is a sort of contrast that back when I was inexperienced with the series some monsters knocked me out or made me fail the quest outright, and it had been years since I touched the game, but it still didn't felt as intimidating. And some of the later fights can also take so long depending on how well prepared you are weapon and armor wise, you can still win them for sure with some lower power equipment, but it naturally takes longer and making them feel harder.

Is a very rambly paragraph but is how I see MH difficulty having replayed 4 and getting into Rise.

To thank players for 5 million sales, Capcom have sent out a package of items like mega potions, mega demondrugs, etc to those who have the game.

https://nintendoeverything.com/monster-hunter-rise-now-offering-kamura-pack-1-big-hit-celebration/

Talk to the courier palico to claim it.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Man last night I had my first capture quest and had no idea how to do it. Failed it once (accidentally killed the monster), wasted 7 pit fall traps and about 40 tranq bombs. Then after a long time on my second try I notice my palico saying that the monster was ripe for capture and I succeded then.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

Man last night I had my first capture quest and had no idea how to do it. Failed it once (accidentally killed the monster), wasted 7 pit fall traps and about 40 tranq bombs. Then after a long time on my second try I notice my palico saying that the monster was ripe for capture and I succeded then.

Capture quests always threw a wrench into progression for new hunters, as they break a bit the flow. You have to look for signs the monster is weakening. In Rise it is easy as never before, because - as you noted - your Palico tells you it is ripe and also the monster icon on the top right gets a small blue icon below it to indicate it can be captured. If you go for the kill this indicates also you are close to killing.

BTW: There is a capturing training quest.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 08 April 2021

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Spindel said:

Capture quests always threw a wrench into progression for new hunters, as they break a bit the flow. You have to look for signs the monster is weakening. In Rise it is easy as never before, because - as you noted - your Palico tells you it is ripe and also the monster icon on the top right gets a small blue icon below it to indicate it can be captured. If you go for the kill this indicates also you are close to killing.

BTW: There is a capturing training quest.

I’m completley to those indicators you are talking about :P

And I multiple times tried to look for signs that the monster was tiring either undershooting or overshooting until my palico said it was time :P

Man, Tobi-Kadachi taught me a lesson; I was getting overconfident and while he didn't quite manage to kill me, he got damn close several times. I'd let myself get complacent and forgot that this is still every bit a Monster Hunter game and as such designed to kick your arse. He's so damn fast, often loops several attacks together so as to hit you when you think he's done and go in to deal damage, and cos he's electric this can easily lead to you getting stunned and chained.

I've almost finished building a full set of Bishaten armour to replace my full set Aknosom set. All I'm missing is the headpiece, for which I need just one more horn. After killing him three times so far I've only managed to score one horn. Want to finish this set before I take on Magnomalo.

I've been running Gunlance and I've noticed that there's multiple ways to play Gunlance. You can do a BONK! build where you use wide shells to stun the monster. This build is a lot like being a Hammer main except you are a bit slower, and can block. Also it barely does any damage. You're basically the tank.

Or you can do an aerial Gunlance build where you are constantly jumping via wirebug and slamming down to unload all your shells at once. This build does a high amount of damage and is really mobile with the Switch skills.

Finally you can do what I call the POKE! build. You use Long Shot ammo and add Charged shot as one of your Switch skills. The idea here is to safely poke/blast behind your shield. You can hit down + A after a charged shot to go directly into a Dragonstake shot. Hitting X directly after you fire a shot moves you forward a bit. The combo of A, X, A, X along with the long range of Long Ammo keeps you within attack range for longer.

What playstyles are you guys using with your weapons? Post your armor/weapon builds here!

Edit: You know what? Aerial gunlance is the best simply because it let's you close the distance on all those monsters that jump 100 feet across the map.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 09 April 2021

Some details in this game are really amusing. I just got cought by an Arzeros and it shook me and stole one honey I was carrying. Then it sat down and ate that honey while I pummeled it.

Sorry if this is a well know thing, I just found it to be really amusing :)