By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate today's Direct 2/17/2021

Out of 10, how would you rate the Direct?

1 3 2.29%

2 6 4.58%

3 4 3.05%

4 10 7.63%

5 19 14.50%

6 29 22.14%

7 31 23.66%

8 20 15.27%

9 5 3.82%

10 4 3.05%

Total:131

6 out of 10.

My highlights were Pyra/Mythra as a new DLC fighter for Smash Bros., something I've been asking for since I played Xenoblade 2 so I was VERY happy to see that. And Skyward Sword HD - Skyward Sword is still my favorite Zelda game of all time, and it USED to be my favorite game, period, until I played Persona 5. And the fact that it's now getting the HD remaster treatment makes me very ecstatic.
I also enjoyed the Mario Golf and Splatoon 3 announcements.

Everything else... Meh.
And honestly, for the first Nintendo Direct in nearly a year and a half, I was expecting a little more. I love Skyward Sword to death, but when I saw Aonuma pop up on the screen, I was hoping, praying, and crossing my fingers for Breath of the Wild 2. I was expecting that one BIG game to wow me, and while I'm fully aware that Splatoon 3 is that game for a lot of people, and I am happy to see it... It wasn't quite what I was looking for.
There was plenty of other stuff there that looks great like Monster Hunter and Triangle Strategy, but not really my cup of tea.

Overall, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. So yeah, 6/10.

Around the Network

I thought i was pretty solid Direct,. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of much western 3rd party ports announced. The Nintendo content was a decent amount though. 2 new games announced with 2 HD remasters. Hyped for 6 games shown in the direct, so i guess I can't ask for too much more.

It felt like the slowed down the pace of the direct though, they use to move segment to segment faster if I remember right.

I'll give it a 8/10, was missing that big wow item.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

It was okay, kinda wished they showed updates on current big projects instead of Splatoon 3 that releases next year.
Next direct will have Botw 2 tho

Considering its focus was mostly on Q1, it was pretty good. I wish we would have heard something about BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4, Pikmin 4, or Bayonetta 3, but at least we have some games coming soon. I'd say a solid 7/10

Not sure what the basis for scoring is here, so I don't know how I'd score it. I rarely like this format of Direct, and this lived up to my expectations of not liking it.

I think Nintendo should stop doing these big tent Directs that imply this is the best of the best for the next year. It's poor messaging, poor marketing. Why are they showing a game from 2022 as the signature game of the show? One that didn't look like it offered anything new or exciting either. Does that mean they've got nothing else in the next 11 to 23 months? If they actually do, then why not have the sign-off game be something that's actually coming out sometime soon? I liked their 2020 strategy better. This felt like the bad marketing of the Wii U era. And the high volume of games with little/no information achieved less than clicking on the E Shop and looking at what's coming up and what's on sale.

I only remember 3 games that I wanted, there might have been more, but I don't recall them.
1. Mario Golf
2. The Tactics Ogre spiritual successor game from Square
3. The detective/mystery adventure (or "visual novel") game.

The Animal Crossing update looked interesting.

But honestly, is anyone still going to argue that these big-tent Directs are ever going to be good? They almost never are.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 17 February 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

6/10. A few out of left field game announcements I didn't expect at all - but a bit heavy on the DLC/port/multiplat front.

No BotW 2 or even Pokemon Snap.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

If I'm being totally honest, probably like 3/10. Xenoblade 2 Smash DLC was ok, and the Famicom Detective Club games seemed kind of cool, will need to see gameplay of Star Wars Hunters before I pass judgment on it but the fact that it's also on Android and iOS doesn't seem promising. They honestly didn't announce many new Switch exclusives that interest me personally, and I don't play multiplats on Switch, I play them on Xbox. 

Was hoping for something like a new Fatal Frame, the Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes, a new Fire Emblem, or a new JRPG that interests me, but none of the above happened.

Jumpin said:

Not sure what the basis for scoring is here, so I don't know how I'd score it. I rarely like this format of Direct, and this lived up to my expectations of not liking it.

I think Nintendo should stop doing these big tent Directs that imply this is the best of the best for the next year. It's poor messaging, poor marketing. Why are they showing a game from 2022 as the signature game of the show? One that didn't look like it offered anything new or exciting either. Does that mean they've got nothing else in the next 11 to 23 months? If they actually do, then why not have the sign-off game be something that's actually coming out sometime soon? I liked their 2020 strategy better. This felt like the bad marketing of the Wii U era. And the high volume of games with little/no information achieved less than clicking on the E Shop and looking at what's coming up and what's on sale.

I only remember 3 games that I wanted, there might have been more, but I don't recall them.
1. Mario Golf
2. The Tactics Ogre spiritual successor game from Square
3. The detective/mystery adventure (or "visual novel") game.

The Animal Crossing update looked interesting.

But honestly, is anyone still going to argue that these big-tent Directs are ever going to be good? They almost never are.

Honestly, you're right. Directs are rarely awesome, but I wonder if people keep liking them as the regular format Nintendo uses because they sometimes include surprising stuff at the very end? Like Astral Chain and Splatoon 3. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

10/10 

Lot's of awesome looking games were shown here.  Project Triangle Strategy alone was worth the whole Direct though.  The game looks awesomely epic.  I got the same feeling watching that reveal that I got when I saw the BotW reveal at E3 2016.  I can't wait for the full release.

I thought it was a solid one, but it lacked the oomph to really make it great. Unfortunately I'm not that interested in a new Splatoon so the "big" reveal of the Direct was a letdown for me.

I'll finally get to play Legend of Mana, and hopefully Squeenix will continue to port their old RPG's. Maybe one day they'll even get their finger out of their behind and port Terranigma. But that's a big maybe...
I've never played Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 so the Ninja Gaiden Collection is quite welcome.
And I'm of course thrilled about Skyward Sword HD!

Famicom Detective Club looks like they might be right up my alley, as is that new game from the Danganronpa crew, whatever the name was.
The SRPG from the Octopath team looks sweet.

It was a 7/10 for me. Lots of good content but there wasn't any game that really blew me away, and not that many of the games I'm interested in are actually new titles.