By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate today's Direct 2/17/2021

Out of 10, how would you rate the Direct?

1 3 2.29%

2 6 4.58%

3 4 3.05%

4 10 7.63%

5 19 14.50%

6 29 22.14%

7 31 23.66%

8 20 15.27%

9 5 3.82%

10 4 3.05%

Total:131

Not sure what the basis for scoring is here, so I don't know how I'd score it. I rarely like this format of Direct, and this lived up to my expectations of not liking it.

I think Nintendo should stop doing these big tent Directs that imply this is the best of the best for the next year. It's poor messaging, poor marketing. Why are they showing a game from 2022 as the signature game of the show? One that didn't look like it offered anything new or exciting either. Does that mean they've got nothing else in the next 11 to 23 months? If they actually do, then why not have the sign-off game be something that's actually coming out sometime soon? I liked their 2020 strategy better. This felt like the bad marketing of the Wii U era. And the high volume of games with little/no information achieved less than clicking on the E Shop and looking at what's coming up and what's on sale.

I only remember 3 games that I wanted, there might have been more, but I don't recall them.
1. Mario Golf
2. The Tactics Ogre spiritual successor game from Square
3. The detective/mystery adventure (or "visual novel") game.

The Animal Crossing update looked interesting.

But honestly, is anyone still going to argue that these big-tent Directs are ever going to be good? They almost never are.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 17 February 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

6/10. A few out of left field game announcements I didn't expect at all - but a bit heavy on the DLC/port/multiplat front.

No BotW 2 or even Pokemon Snap.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Jumpin said:

Not sure what the basis for scoring is here, so I don't know how I'd score it. I rarely like this format of Direct, and this lived up to my expectations of not liking it.

I think Nintendo should stop doing these big tent Directs that imply this is the best of the best for the next year. It's poor messaging, poor marketing. Why are they showing a game from 2022 as the signature game of the show? One that didn't look like it offered anything new or exciting either. Does that mean they've got nothing else in the next 11 to 23 months? If they actually do, then why not have the sign-off game be something that's actually coming out sometime soon? I liked their 2020 strategy better. This felt like the bad marketing of the Wii U era. And the high volume of games with little/no information achieved less than clicking on the E Shop and looking at what's coming up and what's on sale.

I only remember 3 games that I wanted, there might have been more, but I don't recall them.
1. Mario Golf
2. The Tactics Ogre spiritual successor game from Square
3. The detective/mystery adventure (or "visual novel") game.

The Animal Crossing update looked interesting.

But honestly, is anyone still going to argue that these big-tent Directs are ever going to be good? They almost never are.

Honestly, you're right. Directs are rarely awesome, but I wonder if people keep liking them as the regular format Nintendo uses because they sometimes include surprising stuff at the very end? Like Astral Chain and Splatoon 3. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

10/10 

Lot's of awesome looking games were shown here.  Project Triangle Strategy alone was worth the whole Direct though.  The game looks awesomely epic.  I got the same feeling watching that reveal that I got when I saw the BotW reveal at E3 2016.  I can't wait for the full release.

I thought it was a solid one, but it lacked the oomph to really make it great. Unfortunately I'm not that interested in a new Splatoon so the "big" reveal of the Direct was a letdown for me.

I'll finally get to play Legend of Mana, and hopefully Squeenix will continue to port their old RPG's. Maybe one day they'll even get their finger out of their behind and port Terranigma. But that's a big maybe...
I've never played Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 so the Ninja Gaiden Collection is quite welcome.
And I'm of course thrilled about Skyward Sword HD!

Famicom Detective Club looks like they might be right up my alley, as is that new game from the Danganronpa crew, whatever the name was.
The SRPG from the Octopath team looks sweet.

It was a 7/10 for me. Lots of good content but there wasn't any game that really blew me away, and not that many of the games I'm interested in are actually new titles.

Around the Network

Pyra in Smash is neat. NMHIII date is cool. Legend of Mana is neat. Ninja Gaiden FUCK YEAH!. Rest is meh.

6/10. Just glad full directs are back.

Last edited by Leynos - on 17 February 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

7/10 a solid direct with a lot of variety.
I shall be picking up.. Mario golf, Miitopia, Skyward sword and the Ninja Gaiden collection.

7/10. Some cool looking games I'm looking forward to like No More Heroes, Project Triangle Strategy, and Monster Hunter Rise. Also looking forward to Skyward Sword HD and Splatoon 3! I hope there will be another general Direct sometime later this year! :)

I loved it really. A lot of surprises for me. We didn't get updates on some games, but we already know they are coming at some point so who cares, they showed us other things.
Pyra for Smash
Outer Wilds
Legend of Mana
Mario Golf
No More Heroes III
Neon White
Project Triangle Strategy
Ninja Gaiden Master Collection
Hyrule Warriors DLC
Saga Frontier Remastered
Skyward Sword HD
Splatoon 3

Really feels like these next 2 years are going to be packed with games.

anonymunchy said:

I loved it really. A lot of surprises for me. We didn't get updates on some games, but we already know they are coming at some point so who cares, they showed us other things.
Pyra for Smash
Outer Wilds
Legend of Mana
Mario Golf
No More Heroes III
Neon White
Project Triangle Strategy
Ninja Gaiden Master Collection
Hyrule Warriors DLC
Saga Frontier Remastered
Skyward Sword HD
Splatoon 3

Really feels like these next 2 years are going to be packed with games.

Glad to know a few people liked it a lot. I understand why it would create such excitement, it only missed a big Nintendo title. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.