By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate today's Direct 2/17/2021

Out of 10, how would you rate the Direct?

1 3 2.29%

2 6 4.58%

3 4 3.05%

4 10 7.63%

5 19 14.50%

6 29 22.14%

7 31 23.66%

8 20 15.27%

9 5 3.82%

10 4 3.05%

Total:131

5/10.
Some good announcements for RPG fans. And No More Heroes 3 looks good.
Skyward Sword announcement is nice as well but no BOTW2? No news until later this year means it most likely wont release this year (doubt we'll get 2 Zeldas in one year for the same system). Possibly wont even make it for 2022 if they have NOTHING to show for it. Curious if Nintendo will want to do a cross gen for that one...

Nintendo's output for Switch hasnt been great lately. Not sure if they are just struggling so much with COVID or spacing out their games so third parties can shine?

But its mostly been remakes and ports lately, which is lacking when you compare it to 2017 and 2018. 

First half of the year from Nintendo doesnt even have one full fledged AAA game.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I mean, it was a lot of ports, some new games that I'm not too excited about...6. You mileage will definitely vary and I could see higher than a 6 if you were a fan of more of the newer games shown.

JWeinCom said:

4/10

Pyra is a good choice for Smash, Triangle Strategy looks cool. Mario Golf is usually fun.

Beyond that... meh. Nintendo's first party studios have really not been doing much beyond remakes and ports for a while now. You'd think at some point they're going to show some actual new games and such, but it wasn't today.

The unification of handheld and home console businesses hasn't done a lot for the Switch this past year, at least when it comes with EPD releases. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Splatoon is not my thing. Mehrio golf. If they at least showed Pokemon Snap, I wouldn't be so disappointed.

My personal take would be 2/10, The lame addition for smash really pissed me off. No more heroes and monster hunter look cool but we already knew that

Analysing it without my fellings, I gave 6/10. Hades physical edition is really not worthy content for a good direct. Too many old ports. Pyra don't adds nothing for the smash rooster. It's really lame no matter how you put it

Last edited by 160rmf - on 17 February 2021

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:

Splatoon is not my thing. Mehrio golf. If they at least showed Pokemon Snap, I wouldn't be so disappointed.

My personal take would be 2/10, The lame addition for smash really pissed me off. No more heroes and monster hunter look cool but we already knew that

Analysing it without my fellings, I gave 6/10. Hades physical edition is really not worthy content for a good direct. Too many old ports

There's a chance Pokemon Company will be doing their own thing around the 27th. 

Around the Network

I'd give it a 6.8/10, not in terms of game content though, I just don't think this direct was put together that well. When you take into account the amount of games we already know are releasing in the next few months (Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Ghosts n Goblins: Resurrection, Bravely Default II in February, Monster Hunter Rise, Balan Wonderworld in March, Pokemon Snap in April, etc) it's already a really good first half and this Direct did a nice job at filling out some of the rest of the year and even further things to look forward to.

Good:

Mario Golf looks incredibly fun. Miitopia coming back is a nice surprise. Never heard of Famicom Detective Club but it's cool that it's something getting localized for the first time for those interested. Some good third party gets like Fall Guys, Ninja Gaiden Collection, Outer Wilds, etc. Release date for No More Heroes III, glad to see Hades getting a physical edition. Neon White looks really interesting, same with World's End Club. 

Bad:

I normally don't care about this but I do think this Direct was a bit over reliant on ports/remasters and such with not many new games, and then some of the new games they did show weren't really shown well. Knockout City looks like it could be fun but that trailer really didn't do it any favors. Star Wars Hunters might as well have not even been there. The Zelda announcements seemed a lil poorly done, like the Season Pass for Age of Calamity being 30 seconds and then Skyward Sword HD. 

I'm conflicted on Splatoon 3 because I love the franchise but in a way this feels too early and I would have much rather seen it saved for the Switch successor. 

Not great, but also not a bad direct either. I liked it. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 20 February 2021

It was alright.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

6/10 especially after a long time with no directs.

Splatoon 3 is huge and it started alright but in the end it ended abruptly without really showing something new that makes people excited.

Mario Gold was great because it started okay but they showed the speed mode and that looks fun and ended it with announcing a story mode.  Even if you don't like Gold I think many are interested in the game because of those additions.

The rest felt weak and typical Nintendo.  It is sad that I can play games on other consoles that I bought in 2007 digitally with better graphics/frames etc for free while we have to buy a game from 2011 again if we want to play it on switch that's probably going to be full priced. It would have been fine in a collection...oh well.

7/10
Splatoon 3 really carried it for me.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

A simple good affair. Sure if you aren't interested by any of the games shown, you'll feel cheated after all this time, but it is clear from onset that I'll be eating good until June personally.

It could have for at least another big announcement than Splatoon 3 but oh well, it certainly wasn't going to be Mario Kart 9 like the internet expected lol.

7.5/10

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909