By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rate today's Direct 2/17/2021

Out of 10, how would you rate the Direct?

1 3 2.29%

2 6 4.58%

3 4 3.05%

4 10 7.63%

5 19 14.50%

6 29 22.14%

7 31 23.66%

8 20 15.27%

9 5 3.82%

10 4 3.05%

Total:131
Mar1217 said:
Kakadu18 said:

What game are you talking about?

Skyward Sword has only been on the Wii before, so it's not a port of a port, it's a remaster. Miitopia is also just a port of the original game and isn't 60$. I can't think of any port of a port announced in the direct.

Seeing as the graphics have been revamped, the reworked UI, added gameplay mechanics with the horse customization options and possibly more added content. 

I wouldn't consider it a port. It's closer to something like Xenoblade Chronicles DE in spirits.

You're right about that.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I do wonder how much a person's age affects how they see these Directs.  For example, a lot of people seem to only look at the first party content and ignore most of the other games.  I can see if a person grew up with the N64 or Gamecube, then this would be an easy mentality to develop.  Those platforms were mostly about Nintendo first party games.

I grew up with the NES and SNES.  What I want in a Nintendo system is to have both Nintendo first party and a lot of third party games on the same system.  That feels normal to me.  That is also what Nintendo handhelds are like.  While I do believe there is still a lot of first party games coming to the Switch, it really wouldn't bother me much if they didn't have many first party games left.  To me games are games.  There are still lots of third party games coming and I can find stuff to play from that.

So, from my perspective, I just saw a Direct with a couple of dozen games and most of those are Summer 2021 or earlier, so it was a really good Direct.  For a person that only looks for the first party stuff, they probably just saw a few games in the Direct and nothing big is coming soon.  It's all a matter of perspective.

Yeah I think this is also the problem some people have with Nintendo consoles in general. On one hand I understand it because Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of getting even a fraction of the full third party support Sony and Microsoft get by default, so they basically have to make up for that with more first party & third party exclusives, but for people who only count Nintendo-made games for some reason and ignore everything else... it just feels like they're making it harder on themselves unnecessarily? 

The next few months are legitimately packed with games coming to Switch, in just the next 3-4 months alone there's Ghosts n Goblins: Resurrection, Bravely Default II, Monster Hunter Rise, Balan Wonderworld, Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time, Miitopia, Famicom Detective Club, Persona 5 Strikers, Ninja Gaiden Master Collection, New Pokemon Snap, Apex Legends, Mario Golf: Super Rush, and many more. We also just got Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury, Little Nightmares II, etc. 

Which if someone looks at that list for Nintendo games only I can see why some might be underwhelmed, cause it is a lot of ports & remakes, but it also just feels like a "looking through tunnel vision and not seeing the entire picture" type of thing that isn't gonna really help much.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 20 February 2021

Nintendo attempted the wish-fulfillment Ultimate Direct route in 2014; shit all WiiUs were moved and 99% of humanity is still unaware it existed. Now the niche 1% complain about it's games getting a second life, yet they all sell well because they're great games that no one has played.

On the side, even though Skyward Sword isn't a WiiU port, I'm one who believes the awkward time it did come out undersold the potential demand for it, though I'm aware that's a divisive subject. Regardless, I'd still just view it as a nice throw-in for the event-- even if you take it out, the direct was still solid overall. And considering they had no update for BotW2, I find it a logical substitue for the timeframe.
Just to re-iterate, those in the know may be very familiar with the game along with the many mixed opinions on it, but many from the general gaming audience that had long moved on from the Wii Sports Machine in 2011, could see it as a fresh experience while they wait for the next original Zelda adventure.

Switch has more than enough games to play. You don't have to look hard to find them either. Just being a little more open-minded and a bit less demanding could got a long way.

Argue all you want that Nintendo have become too complacent, after digging themselves out of the last ditch they were in, managing to find a sustainable formula that sometimes has to prioritise financial longevity, when they've already proven that appealing to fan demand through pure game output doesn't gain them anything. Use whatever logic you choose for why the WiiU was snubbed by the gaming community and never got the chance it deserved. You get the industry you deserve. If Nintendo wasn't good enough for you then and not good enough for you now, they'll never be good enough.

I choose to appreciate what they can give me while the games are still true to the quality I expect and their platform still offers a point of differnce. I won't pretend the directs are better than they are, but if nothing else they can still be good for a laugh like with the Dunkey video; until people take it too literally and use it as ammo for their theological debates.

Nintendo don't even try to hype these events up. They're mostly announced a day or two ahead. Yet every time fans go in with their wishlists expecting to be blown away and when they're not it's as if Nintendo took something from them.

7/10

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I do wonder how much a person's age affects how they see these Directs.  For example, a lot of people seem to only look at the first party content and ignore most of the other games.  I can see if a person grew up with the N64 or Gamecube, then this would be an easy mentality to develop.  Those platforms were mostly about Nintendo first party games.

I grew up with the NES and SNES.  What I want in a Nintendo system is to have both Nintendo first party and a lot of third party games on the same system.  That feels normal to me.  That is also what Nintendo handhelds are like.  While I do believe there is still a lot of first party games coming to the Switch, it really wouldn't bother me much if they didn't have many first party games left.  To me games are games.  There are still lots of third party games coming and I can find stuff to play from that.

So, from my perspective, I just saw a Direct with a couple of dozen games and most of those are Summer 2021 or earlier, so it was a really good Direct.  For a person that only looks for the first party stuff, they probably just saw a few games in the Direct and nothing big is coming soon.  It's all a matter of perspective.

I don't disagree with you on the content. Where I disagree is on the presentation of that content. While a poll on this site says people tend to like the big Directs better, that isn't reflected in opinion threads at all. Smaller Directs are more frequently received well. They also tend to generate a lot more chatter around the content, while these big Directs are mostly about how little people cared about them, or how underwhelmed/disappointed they were. This tends to be the case with bigger Directs, even when the content is quite strong. While not a Direct, the first Switch presentation was the strongest reveal of content in the history of any Nintendo presentation, and yet many people thought it was lackluster. They showed some of those games in focused Directs, and the reception was significantly more positive.

I think some Nintendo fans are literally brainwashed into thinking that only big Directs matter even when they often pay attention to even fewer games than they do in the smaller Directs.

In short, I found this last Direct vastly undersold most of those games in favour of spotlighting an unremarkable first-party game that isn't even coming out in 2021.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 25 February 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.