By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 3 announced, coming 2022

After downloading Splatoon 2 Im also kind of dissapointed is not being targeted for next gen Switch
In particular I feel split screen is not an option because of power limitations.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

A surprise but I don't know ... isn't this too much Splatoon content in such a small amount of time ? I know the game will release in 2022 (prolly Spring) but I seriously expect this one to be the resounding success the sequel had unless it has some earth shattering features and people go in droves to play it.

Will sell super well in Japan however, I'm not sure 'bout worldwide ...

I wouldn't call 5 years between releases an oversaturation of the IP.  It's not anywhere near the annual release rate of something like Call of Duty.  The claim for a while now has been that Switch sales have no where to go but down because all of Nintendo's heavy hitters have been released.  Sequels for heavy hitters from the Switch's launch year (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2) prove Nintendo's commitment to keep the Switch going for some years to come.

Mandalore76 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I play Splatoon more for the multiplayer and doesn't bother much with story mode

I hope they implement more gears and more ranked battle systems

This is a game that I will wait for news that it sold at least some million copies until I get one. Nothing worse than get a multiplayer game with small userbase 

Splatoon sold about 5 million copies on the Wii U as a brand new IP, after it had already been conceded that the Wii U was a failed console.  Splatoon 2 more than doubled those sales on the Switch.  Is there really any worry that Splatoon 3 won't sell well?

It's not only "sell well", it needs a big blockbuster userbase to work. I'm talking about million of players. I don't want to struggle to find a ranked match. My biggest pleasure with Splatoon is exaclty the very active userbase. It's a joy not having to wait to fill a room. If Splatoon 3 sales don't match Splatoon 2 I have no reason to drop Splatoon 2 to favor a less active game

Plus I'm from Brazil, I need American players not Japanese players who will (mostly) play when I'm sleeping 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mandalore76 said:

Splatoon sold about 5 million copies on the Wii U as a brand new IP, after it had already been conceded that the Wii U was a failed console.  Splatoon 2 more than doubled those sales on the Switch.  Is there really any worry that Splatoon 3 won't sell well?

It's not only "sell well", it needs a big blockbuster userbase to work. I'm talking about million of players. I don't want to struggle to find a ranked match. My biggest pleasure with Splatoon is exaclty the very active userbase. It's a joy not having to wait to fill a room. If Splatoon 3 sales don't match Splatoon 2 I have no reason to drop Splatoon 2 to favor a less active game

Plus I'm from Brazil, I need American players not Japanese players who will (mostly) play when I'm sleeping 

Yeah I live in Australia and I always get to play with and against japanese players. At least its not region lock like the PC games I play. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

They blew the chance of having a full single-player spinoff game. I'd love an open-world Splatoon TPS. I'm bored of the main series at this point. They had me in the first half of that trailer not going to lie. They lost me with the Splatoon 3 logo.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

If nothing else this is a strong sign that Switch's lifespan will be a long one; there's little reason to release this kind of ongoing game a year before the Switch is replaced.

Leynos said:

They blew the chance of having a full single-player spinoff game. I'd love an open-world Splatoon TPS. I'm bored of the main series at this point. They had me in the first half of that trailer not going to lie. They lost me with the Splatoon 3 logo.

Based on how much that trailer focused on setting and world building, I had interpreted it as an indication that not only is it Splatoon 3, but it will be a game that focuses just as much on single player as it does multiplayer. Compared to the Splatoon 2 reveal, this felt more story focused, which gives me hope.