By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 3 announced, coming 2022

I'm super hyped for this. Splatoon is an awesome franchise

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

It's strange to release a sequel for this game. But as Splatton 2 is my most played switch game you bet I'm going to get this.

I hope they add some new mechanics (like the grinding mechanic that is present in the SP in splatoon 2 but not in the MP)

Poliwrathlord said:

Incredibly hyped for this.
Surprised everyone thought this was going to be for the next console. Not only is Switch going to be around for a while, the devs behind Splatoon 2 stopped updating the game in 2019. What did you think they were working on this whole time?

Isn't the same team who worked on Ring Fit Adventure ?

I was expecting a single player spnoff, but this works too, I guess.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

SKMBlake said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Incredibly hyped for this.
Surprised everyone thought this was going to be for the next console. Not only is Switch going to be around for a while, the devs behind Splatoon 2 stopped updating the game in 2019. What did you think they were working on this whole time?

Isn't the same team who worked on Ring Fit Adventure ?

They're different teams. Some of the devs do work on Animal Crossing though, but not the whole team. Ring Fit was developed by the team who made Nintendo LABO.

Around the Network

I didn't get Splatoon 2 for the sole reason that I was disappointed in the campaign on the original . Did 2 have a decent story mode? 3 looks like it may focus on story mode more. I like multiplayer games, but I prefer it if they also have a good single player campaign.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Immeasurably hyped. I’m ready for 2022.

Will you be spending thousands of hours in this one too? ;)

Being 5 years since the last game released , hopefully ‘3’ will be more of a full blown sequel that does something different and has more of its own identity than ‘2’ - which felt more like ‘1’ with a few more bells and whistles. ‘1.5’ if you will. Which isn’t surprising because it was rushed out in just 2 years so that the Switch would have another big title for Year 1.

wombat123 said:

Same. Now, if Nintendo is willing to release Splatoon 3 on the Switch and effectively kill Splatoon 2 sales, it's starting to make me reconsider the whole "Mario Kart 9 isn't coming to the Switch" deal.

Except that Mario Kart is still selling a ton every week. Splatoon 2 sells but slowly and has been for a couple years. Splatoon 2 is not a major evergreen globally so Splatoon 3 coming out on Switch makes much more sense than Mario Kart 9. Most likely scenario is still MK9 as a Switch 2 launch title.

Dulfite said:

I didn't get Splatoon 2 for the sole reason that I was disappointed in the campaign on the original . Did 2 have a decent story mode? 3 looks like it may focus on story mode more. I like multiplayer games, but I prefer it if they also have a good single player campaign.

It was a pretty good campaign, but I wouldn't say that much better than the original. Octo Expansion is absolutely phenomenal (the ending especially is just fantastic) and is definitely the best Splatoon single player campaign and one of the best DLCs Nintendo has released. That said, the multiplayer is still definitely the meat and potatoes of Splatoon regardless. 3 does seem like it's gonna have a pretty big single player focus though, and it does continue what we already know has been going on in the Splatoon universe since 2.