By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 3 announced, coming 2022

wombat123 said:

Same. Now, if Nintendo is willing to release Splatoon 3 on the Switch and effectively kill Splatoon 2 sales, it's starting to make me reconsider the whole "Mario Kart 9 isn't coming to the Switch" deal.

Except that Mario Kart is still selling a ton every week. Splatoon 2 sells but slowly and has been for a couple years. Splatoon 2 is not a major evergreen globally so Splatoon 3 coming out on Switch makes much more sense than Mario Kart 9. Most likely scenario is still MK9 as a Switch 2 launch title.



Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I didn't get Splatoon 2 for the sole reason that I was disappointed in the campaign on the original . Did 2 have a decent story mode? 3 looks like it may focus on story mode more. I like multiplayer games, but I prefer it if they also have a good single player campaign.

It was a pretty good campaign, but I wouldn't say that much better than the original. Octo Expansion is absolutely phenomenal (the ending especially is just fantastic) and is definitely the best Splatoon single player campaign and one of the best DLCs Nintendo has released. That said, the multiplayer is still definitely the meat and potatoes of Splatoon regardless. 3 does seem like it's gonna have a pretty big single player focus though, and it does continue what we already know has been going on in the Splatoon universe since 2.



Some new info:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/377205-nintendo-shares-details-on-splatoon-3-s-locations-new-movement-m

https://gonintendo.com/stories/377192-splatoon-3-moves-away-from-gender-specific-customization-options

- Battles will now take place in nature instead of just artificial arenas

- New moves: “squid roll” allows them to leap and twirl out of their ink, (possibly a melee attack of sorts) and a “squid surge” allows them to quickly swim up ink-covered walls and jump out at the top. (You can actually briefly see both in the trailer)

- Hairstyles are no longer locked to gender

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 February 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Dulfite said:

I didn't get Splatoon 2 for the sole reason that I was disappointed in the campaign on the original . Did 2 have a decent story mode? 3 looks like it may focus on story mode more. I like multiplayer games, but I prefer it if they also have a good single player campaign.

SP to me was really boring, Ikve played through 72 % of it just to learn the mechanics (never played Splatoon before Splatoon 2).

To me the game is Turf War and Ranked. As I said it’s my most played game and all of the time comes from online. It’s perfect to just throw in 1-2 quick matches here an there.



Spindel said:
Dulfite said:

I didn't get Splatoon 2 for the sole reason that I was disappointed in the campaign on the original . Did 2 have a decent story mode? 3 looks like it may focus on story mode more. I like multiplayer games, but I prefer it if they also have a good single player campaign.

SP to me was really boring, Ikve played through 72 % of it just to learn the mechanics (never played Splatoon before Splatoon 2).

To me the game is Turf War and Ranked. As I said it’s my most played game and all of the time comes from online. It’s perfect to just throw in 1-2 quick matches here an there.

Did you play the expansion?



Around the Network
wombat123 said:

Same. Now, if Nintendo is willing to release Splatoon 3 on the Switch and effectively kill Splatoon 2 sales, it's starting to make me reconsider the whole "Mario Kart 9 isn't coming to the Switch" deal.

I don’t think they are really comparable. Mario Kart will still be a top seller, but does Splatoon still get into the top end if the sales charts? Also someone said Splatoon 2 stopped getting updates in 2019.



Sometimes I wonder if I am the only guy on Earth who plays Splatoon purely for the campaigns haha.

I'm not into online multiplayer at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed the single player components of the first two Splatoon games, and I hope they continue to evolve and improve this aspect in the third game.

We don't have much to go on so far, but my guess is the "Little Buddy" Salmonid plays a key role.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Dulfite said:
Spindel said:

SP to me was really boring, Ikve played through 72 % of it just to learn the mechanics (never played Splatoon before Splatoon 2).

To me the game is Turf War and Ranked. As I said it’s my most played game and all of the time comes from online. It’s perfect to just throw in 1-2 quick matches here an there.

Did you play the expansion?

Nope, since I didn't really like base SP other than as a tutorial I had no interest in the expansion. 



Honestly dumb move.

Saturation of a simple concept franchise is not good. Spread it out over a longer period between versions. Would have been better to have it as a launch title for Switch 2.

Or are they hoping to stretch out the Switch till like 2025 now?



 

 

curl-6 said:

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only guy on Earth who plays Splatoon purely for the campaigns haha.

I'm not into online multiplayer at all, but I thoroughly enjoyed the single player components of the first two Splatoon games, and I hope they continue to evolve and improve this aspect in the third game.

We don't have much to go on so far, but my guess is the "Little Buddy" Salmonid plays a key role.

That's the main reason I play games lol.