By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 3 announced, coming 2022

FloatingWaffles said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Incredibly hyped for this.
Surprised everyone thought this was going to be for the next console. Not only is Switch going to be around for a while, the devs behind Splatoon 2 stopped updating the game in 2019. What did you think they were working on this whole time?

I figured that since Splatoon has become one of Nintendo's biggest IP's at this point that it went into Mario Kart territory where one mainline game would release per gen (aside from spin-offs) as it's going to continue to be an evergreen for the system's lifespan so a sequel wouldn't necessarily be needed yet and would be better for helping push the next console 

gotta be honest I would have preferred it on the Switch 2 for a better graphical leap at least 

That's an interesting take. It really looks that switch I'll be staying longer than many expect. A Mario Kart 9 announcement and we can settle that switch will be relevant for many years to come

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

YES!! Splatoon 3!! Can't wait!!

160rmf said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I figured that since Splatoon has become one of Nintendo's biggest IP's at this point that it went into Mario Kart territory where one mainline game would release per gen (aside from spin-offs) as it's going to continue to be an evergreen for the system's lifespan so a sequel wouldn't necessarily be needed yet and would be better for helping push the next console 

gotta be honest I would have preferred it on the Switch 2 for a better graphical leap at least 

That's an interesting take. It really looks that switch I'll be staying longer than many expect. A Mario Kart 9 announcement and we can settle that switch will be relevant for many years to come

the thing is Nintendo has been a bit back & forth with how long they want the Switch to last, they originally said they wanted it to be a longer than usual lifespan but then last year said it was barely halfway through it's lifecycle which would imply it has at least 2023-2024? 

so if Mario Kart 9 gets announced next then either they're releasing these right at the end of the Switch or they really are gonna try to expand it even longer, it'll be interesting to see 

This makes the "Mario Kart 9 for Switch" actually a possibility.

Seriously, though, I was expecting Splatoon 3 for the Switch Successor.

Yeah making a second main entry for the same platform and announcing it so far out at a time when Nintendo tends to reveal things only when they're close are both weird moves. Not bad necessarily, but weird.

Looks like that Utopia vs Dystopia Splatfest was used to decide the direction of the sequel, just like the Callie vs Marie Splatfest decided which would play which role in Splatoon 2. The baby Salmonid Buddy also makes me think the campaign while focus more on them this time around.

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:
160rmf said:

the thing is Nintendo has been a bit back & forth with how long they want the Switch to last, they originally said they wanted it to be a longer than usual lifespan but then last year said it was barely halfway through it's lifecycle which would imply it has at least 2023-2024? 

so if Mario Kart 9 gets announced next then either they're releasing these right at the end of the Switch or they really are gonna try to expand it even longer, it'll be interesting to see 

Implying that is "barely halfway" is not same as "already halfway"

We reap what we sow

I'm hooked, I'll buy it. Hope they have really built upon the last one. After buying tons of content on the WiiU I really haven't bought anything on the switch for myself (for the kids is a different story). 5 physical games and maybe as many digital. I just don't have the time to game that I used to. I will make time for another Splatoon and the next BotW though.

wombat123 said:

I notice you can Switch™ weapons in-game.  Also, based on the trailer, it's looking like Nintendo is going to put a heavier emphasis on the single player campaign compared to the throwaway ones for the first two entries (not counting Octo Expansion). If they do that, in addition to making significant additions to multiplayer then I can see it selling 15m.  I hope the reason they announced it this early is because they plan on it being an early 2022 release.

They announced early so they dont drop the big games all at the same time. They have Splatoon their own moment. Like how Nintendo Twitter account is the Splatoon logo. 

And we might be getting testfire demos soon. Maybe before or after their e3 direct (if they do one) 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Easily the most exciting announcement of the Direct for me. I'm a massive Splatoon fan, and really delved in depth into all that 2 had to offer. It's an incredibly deep game with some of the best movement in literally any video game, Nintendo and otherwise. I don't think it gets nearly enough credit despite its popularity. What we've seen of this looks really cool although I do question why they would announce this so far ahead of time, especially when we are assumedly getting some sort of big holiday title still that hasn't been shown yet. (Or at least I hope so)

Immeasurably hyped. I’m ready for 2022.