By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gina Carano - Disney fired her, what does that solve?

sales2099 said:
sundin13 said:

I always find it funny when people complain that the left tried to "cancel" JK Rowling when the Religious Right has been trying to "cancel" her and her books for decades.

Seriously doubt the religious right had the same zeal and was as loud/persistent as the left Twitter mobs crying out against her in recent times. 

Because not as many people believed that Harry Potter would lead to Satan worshipping, and they didn't have access to the same technology.

But I'm not sure why that should matter. If people are free to complain that they think Harry Potter is satanic (I actually got to argue this point in a class in a college class and won) then they should be free to complain about Rowlings views on trans people (which go far beyond what people have described here). The fact that there are more of them with better technological know-how should not change their rights. 

Around the Network

A writer for the Guardian was fired for criticizing US aid to Israel. He didn't attack Jews nor undermine their oppression. He simply stated the hypocrisy of Israel getting aid no matter what they do and their special treatment by the US. I mean if Saudi can have their aid stopped for oppressing Yemen, that's neither anti-Semitism nor Islamophobic but somehow criticizing aid to Israel which oppresses Palestinians is anti-Semitic. The journalist was actually doing his job standing up to power and for the rights of human beings. Not crying on twitter about some baseless oppression like Gina. That's actual censorship. People were fired for not signing pro Israel's statements in the US and I'm talking teachers working for the government. That's actually violating free speech because it's the damn government, not a private institution. Jeremy Corbyn is called anti-Semitic and has to deal with baseless attacks and investigations. That's using power to hold down people who stand up to tyranny and for the oppressed. It's much more serious than a multimillionaire actor with a victim complex. I don't see any free speech warriors talking about these things because it doesn't benefit them.

The conservatives will not talk about actual free speech violations like requiring government employees to sign pro Israel statements because for all their talk of free speech, all they want is for their speech to be without consequence, not actual free speech. And liberals certainly won't defend Palestine or [to Palestine views in discourse. Only the left speaks out for Palestinians in the western world and both liberals and conservatives hate the left so they both are quite happy silencing pro Palestinian voices.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Shit just got real. 

Eagle367 said:

A writer for the Guardian was fired for criticizing US aid to Israel. He didn't attack Jews nor undermine their oppression. He simply stated the hypocrisy of Israel getting aid no matter what they do and their special treatment by the US. I mean if Saudi can have their aid stopped for oppressing Yemen, that's neither anti-Semitism nor Islamophobic but somehow criticizing aid to Israel which oppresses Palestinians is anti-Semitic. The journalist was actually doing his job standing up to power and for the rights of human beings. Not crying on twitter about some baseless oppression like Gina. That's actual censorship. People were fired for not signing pro Israel's statements in the US and I'm talking teachers working for the government. That's actually violating free speech because it's the damn government, not a private institution. Jeremy Corbyn is called anti-Semitic and has to deal with baseless attacks and investigations. That's using power to hold down people who stand up to tyranny and for the oppressed. It's much more serious than a multimillionaire actor with a victim complex. I don't see any free speech warriors talking about these things because it doesn't benefit them.

The conservatives will not talk about actual free speech violations like requiring government employees to sign pro Israel statements because for all their talk of free speech, all they want is for their speech to be without consequence, not actual free speech. And liberals certainly won't defend Palestine or [to Palestine views in discourse. Only the left speaks out for Palestinians in the western world and both liberals and conservatives hate the left so they both are quite happy silencing pro Palestinian voices.

You just won the internet. And made the great points of why this whole fuss over Gina is weird to me.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

foodfather said:

Shit just got real. 

No it didn't. Kevin Sorbo has been thoroughly shilling for conservatives for years now.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
sales2099 said:

Seriously doubt the religious right had the same zeal and was as loud/persistent as the left Twitter mobs crying out against her in recent times. 

Because not as many people believed that Harry Potter would lead to Satan worshipping, and they didn't have access to the same technology.

But I'm not sure why that should matter. If people are free to complain that they think Harry Potter is satanic (I actually got to argue this point in a class in a college class and won) then they should be free to complain about Rowlings views on trans people (which go far beyond what people have described here). The fact that there are more of them with better technological know-how should not change their rights. 

I’m saying it’s not 50/50. Not even close.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sundin13 said:
foodfather said:

Shit just got real. 

No it didn't. Kevin Sorbo has been thoroughly shilling for conservatives for years now.

And what’s the issue with that? Advocating for liberals is brave and heroic but advocating for conservatives is shilling? I feel there is a massive double standard and many are oblivious to it. Not you in particular just saying. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
JWeinCom said:

And I'm asking you why that matters.

If 100 people think Harry Potter is a plot to convert children to Satanists and therefore JK Rowling should be cancelled, and 1,000,000 people think that JK Rowling has fucked up views on trans people and should therefore be cancelled, which group has the right to voice their opinion? If your answer is not "both" or "neither" then you have a very logically inconsistent position.

sales2099 said:
sundin13 said:

And what’s the issue with that? Advocating for liberals is brave and heroic but advocating for conservatives is shilling? I feel there is a massive double standard and many are oblivious to it. Not you in particular just saying. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with advocating for conservatism. I think Sorbo is a piece of shit personally, but it isn't just because he is a conservative. My point was that "Oh shit, even Sorbo is throwing his hat into the ring now" type of takes kind of melt away when you look at Sorbo's history. Like, obviously this is his take and obviously he was going to say something. It would have been an "Oh shit" moment if Sorbo came out against her, because if even Sorbo is turning away from a conservative about "cancel culture" would be completely out of character, or if someone who had previously completely stayed out of politics stepped in to say something.

As for why that discrepancy in perception exists, I personally feel like the reason should be fairly self-explanatory.

JWeinCom said:
sales2099 said:

And I'm asking you why that matters.

If 100 people think Harry Potter is a plot to convert children to Satanists and therefore JK Rowling should be cancelled, and 1,000,000 people think that JK Rowling has fucked up views on trans people and should therefore be cancelled, which group has the right to voice their opinion? If your answer is not "both" or "neither" then you have a very logically inconsistent position.

It matters because one side is a religious niche group that would never, ever have gotten their way. Where as left wing “cancel culture” is a very real threat to entertainment properties. The louder, zealous, and more numerous you are the bigger chance you get your way.

And IP like Harry Potter has touched so many lives in a positive way that cancelling it would be a great shame. I simply hate cancel culture. Great entertainment that has nothing to do with the leanings of the creator get canned and the fanbase is left in ruins. That isn’t right.