By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gina Carano - Disney fired her, what does that solve?

sales2099 said:
JWeinCom said:

And I'm asking you why that matters.

If 100 people think Harry Potter is a plot to convert children to Satanists and therefore JK Rowling should be cancelled, and 1,000,000 people think that JK Rowling has fucked up views on trans people and should therefore be cancelled, which group has the right to voice their opinion? If your answer is not "both" or "neither" then you have a very logically inconsistent position.

It matters because one side is a religious niche group that would never, ever have gotten their way. Where as left wing “cancel culture” is a very real threat to entertainment properties. The louder, zealous, and more numerous you are the bigger chance you get your way.

And IP like Harry Potter has touched so many lives in a positive way that cancelling it would be a great shame. I simply hate cancel culture. Great entertainment that has nothing to do with the leanings of the creator get canned and the fanbase is left in ruins. That isn’t right. 

So, do the 100 people have the right to try to cancel the franchise?

Do the 1,000,000 people have the right to try and cancel the franchise?

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
sales2099 said:

It matters because one side is a religious niche group that would never, ever have gotten their way. Where as left wing “cancel culture” is a very real threat to entertainment properties. The louder, zealous, and more numerous you are the bigger chance you get your way.

And IP like Harry Potter has touched so many lives in a positive way that cancelling it would be a great shame. I simply hate cancel culture. Great entertainment that has nothing to do with the leanings of the creator get canned and the fanbase is left in ruins. That isn’t right. 

They have a right to try. But nobody should try in the first place. Like I said the entertainment property at risk has a devoted fanbase that impacted people positively. One side is good for a laugh and not take seriously. The other side is dangerous. A more sensible proposition would be to boycot. If you don’t like someone then don’t support them. Don’t ruin what they create for everyone else. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sundin13 said:
foodfather said:

Shit just got real. 

No it didn't. Kevin Sorbo has been thoroughly shilling for conservatives for years now.

That's putting it mildly.

sales2099 said:
JWeinCom said:

They have a right to try. But nobody should try in the first place. Like I said the entertainment property at risk has a devoted fanbase that impacted people positively. One side is good for a laugh and not take seriously. The other side is dangerous. A more sensible proposition would be to boycot. If you don’t like someone then don’t support them. Don’t ruin what they create for everyone else. 

What exactly does "the entertainment property at risk" mean? Like, Harry Potter isn't going to just disappear if enough people say mean things on Twitter. 

JWeinCom said:
sales2099 said:

I’m saying it’s not 50/50. Not even close.

If 100 people think Harry Potter is a plot to convert children to Satanists and therefore JK Rowling should be cancelled, and 1,000,000 people think that JK Rowling has fucked up views on trans people and should therefore be cancelled, which group has the right to voice their opinion? If your answer is not "both" or "neither" then you have a very logically inconsistent position.

Just curious how bad are her sentiments? I am legitimately not aware of the specifics. If her point of view is that “biology trumps brain” then to be fair that was the commonly held belief on gender for most of recorded human history. Frankly it’s still the most commonly held belief in the world today outside western society. Is it “fucked up” in that she was openly bashing them? Calling for violence against them? Dehumanizing speech? 

I don’t agree with many sentiments on the other spectrum. But I don't advocate for anybody to be silenced. Because I’m an adult that shouldn’t be seriously triggered by other opinions. Unless it’s openly racist, fascist, calling for violence, etc. opinions should be respected on both sides.

On topic, it’s a shame the Mandalorian lost a great character. Gina is a beautiful, strong woman that exemplified on screen what modern women strive to be. Cancel culture is the worst. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
JWeinCom said:

Eh... as long as you agree that they have the right, then whatever. You don't have to like what they're doing any more then they have to like what Rowling does. 

I would however suggest you look into the religious right, and the damage their cancel culture has done. Not going to get into it here, but they've advocated some positions that have caused more harm than a media franchise being maybe somewhat harmed. 

sundin13 said:
sales2099 said:

What exactly does "the entertainment property at risk" mean? Like, Harry Potter isn't going to just disappear if enough people say mean things on Twitter. 

I would be inclined to believe you several years ago. Not now. Nothing is safe anymore imo. 

sales2099 said:
JWeinCom said:

Just curious how bad are her sentiments? I am legitimately not aware of the specifics. If her point of view is that “biology trumps brain” then to be fair that was the commonly held belief on gender for most of recorded human history. Frankly it’s still the most commonly held belief in the world today outside western society. Is it “fucked up” in that she was openly bashing them? Calling for violence against them? Dehumanizing speech? 

I don’t agree with many sentiments on the other spectrum. But I don't advocate for anybody to be silenced. Because I’m an adult that shouldn’t be seriously triggered by other opinions. Unless it’s openly racist, fascist, calling for violence, etc. opinions should be respected on both sides.

On topic, it’s a shame the Mandalorian lost a great character. Gina is a beautiful, strong woman that exemplified on screen what modern women strive to be. Cancel culture is the worst. 

The part of her point of view that I object to is her citing and promoting deeply flawed studies, the upshot of which is that being trans is somehow contagious, and that your kids may catch it from other kids. In essence that trans kids peer pressure others into becoming trans which I think is pretty ridiculous, and also contributes to isolating trans people. Similar to the gay panic that she ironically speaks against.

As for whether it was the common or is the common view is pretty irrelevant. It was the common view for quite a while that black people are inferior to white, at least in the western world, but that doesn't mean it's a view that should be promoted, and if someone is promoting it, we should speak out against it.

There are plenty of badass women who can do their job without spreading dangerous conspiracy theories and other nonsense. The point of hiring Gina Carano instead of one of the many beautiful strong no name actresses out there was that she had name value. When that name value no longer helps you, she serves no purpose. 

RolStoppable said:
sundin13 said:

There is nothing inherently wrong with advocating for conservatism. I think Sorbo is a piece of shit personally, but it isn't just because he is a conservative. My point was that "Oh shit, even Sorbo is throwing his hat into the ring now" type of takes kind of melt away when you look at Sorbo's history. Like, obviously this is his take and obviously he was going to say something. It would have been an "Oh shit" moment if Sorbo came out against her, because if even Sorbo is turning away from a conservative about "cancel culture" would be completely out of character, or if someone who had previously completely stayed out of politics stepped in to say something.

As for why that discrepancy in perception exists, I personally feel like the reason should be fairly self-explanatory.

Sorbo isn't a conservative from the little evidence I've seen.

He co produced a movie with Sean Hannity XD

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

He co produced a movie with Sean Hannity XD

Sean Hannity's biography doesn't point towards a conservative either.

Why do Americans not make a distinction between conservatives and far-right nutjobs?

It is up to conservatives to make sure there is a clear distinction there, not me.