By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gina Carano - Disney fired her, what does that solve?

sundin13 said:
TonsofPuppies said:

Recently, the Smithsonian Institution claimed that rationality and hard work were racist, because (apparently) they are strictly white ideals. This is pure insanity. Pretty sure many other cultures were busting their asses off before much of the western world was even formed.

I don't plan on talking too much about that chart again, but I do want to say, on the topic of sources, this is exactly what I was criticizing. Instead of linking to the "Smithsonian Institution", you linked to an Op-Ed from the conservative "American Enterprise Institute". If you click on their link to the chart at question, you are brought to an Op-Ed from the conservative "The American Conservative" and within that second Op-Ed is a picture of the chart at question.

Just link the chart, dude.

Did you just assume my gender? ;)

I understand your critique, but I actually agree with what AEI said about the chart, which is why I chose it for my source. As noble as your goal of finding unbiased sources is, they simply don't exist, because all people are biased on some level. I will post from left-leaning sources as well, if I agree with their arguments. I know you probably think that I'm a conservative, but I assure you that I'm not. Growing up in Canada (which you did as well, I'm assuming, based on your screen name), conservatism isn't really a thing here, not like it is in the US anyway. Canada has always been a progressive country. Even the conservative party of Canada were called the "progressive conservatives" for a long time. My entire life, I would have identified as left-leaning. Over the last decade though, there has been a radical shift in left wing politics in a direction that I do not understand or support, so I guess I'm a centrist now?

Thoughts on the chart, regardless? lol

Last edited by TonsofPuppies - on 21 February 2021

Around the Network
TonsofPuppies said:

I'm with you (and the rest of the left) for like... 90% of your argument. I might not agree with every minute detail, but I generally agree with the overall premise. I think where I disagree is with the solution to the problem. I don't see how something like affirmative action (a discriminatory practice by definition) is helpful. I don't see how demonizing white people and blaming them for every stumble of the black community is helpful. I don't see how defunding the police in areas with higher than average crime rates is helpful. By the way, I'm not claiming that these are YOUR suggested solutions or anything like that. But they are suggestions being pushed by many prominent left wing politicians and pretty much the entire Democratic party.

-Affirmative Action - Access to higher education helps to break the cycle of poverty, and it helps provide the benefit of perspectives from different communities in the area which the affirmative action is employed. It also helps counter racism that still exists in selection processes, like the tendency of employers to value individuals with a white sounding name over individuals with a non-white sounding name. This is a sort of stop-gap measure in my opinion. We should dump a metric ton of funding into our schools to ensure that every school is providing a top level education, however, until that occurs, this is a fairly obvious solution with fairly obvious benefits. 

-Demonizing White People - As far as mainstream democratic policy, I don't believe this is really something that needs to be worried about.

-Defund the police - Defunding the police is and has always been about expanding the crime prevention ecosystem to create a system of proactive instead of reactive crime fighting. It is about asking "Why is there crime" and not just "Where is there crime". If we were to know that improving schooling reduces crime, then "Defund the Police" would be asking "Instead of spending money arresting people, spend money on schools so those people don't need to be arrested at all". Policing serves an important purpose, but even police acknowledge that it is overburdened with the task of addressing every societal ill. That burden should be distributed to those who are best able to handle the job. Not every problem is a nail, so we need to stop acting like a hammer is the solution to everything.

Torillian said:
TonsofPuppies said:

This is definitely true as well, but how can one make the claim that Western culture is designed only for white people to have success? That's where all of these calls for "dismantling whiteness" come from. The idea is that Western society's ideals are inherently white ideals and thus, other cultures / races cannot succeed in that system. Yet, somehow, Indians and East Asians come here and wipe the floor with the native population in these various measurements of success. I just can't understand how these two things can be squared. If western society is an oppressive structure (to anyone who isn't a straight white man), how do so many immigrants come here and become incredibly successful?

Recently, the Smithsonian Institution claimed that rationality and hard work were racist, because (apparently) they are strictly white ideals. This is pure insanity. Pretty sure many other cultures were busting their asses off before much of the western world was even formed.

I don't really have any goal of "dismantiling whiteness" so I can't speak to that. I read slightly into the Smithsonian thing but not enough to have an opinion. 

I am solely arguing that certain groups have been historically fucked and that doing that for centuries, getting rid of those policies, but doing nothing to counteract their effects is not a true equality of opportunity. It's like when I talk to a libertarian (you should look into that btw, seems like you'd like it) about access to healthcare and they say that everyone in America currently has access to healthcare because they can buy it if they have the money. I'm talking about access to actually getting healthcare while they are talking about access to the billing department that can turn you away if you don't have the money or insurance. 

I do self-identify as a classical liberal or a centrist or a libertarian. On the healthcare issue... I'm from Canada and so, I've grown up with a social healthcare system. I'm not opposed to it, though I do acknowledge that it has many flaws that many people on the left tend to ignore (lower quality, longer wait times, etc.). But I'm also not opposed to the idea of people optionally choosing to pay for expedited healthcare if they have the means to do so? So I'm not sure what side I fall on. lol

TonsofPuppies said:

Thoughts on the chart, regardless? lol

To sum it up: Terribly worded but not particularly controversial. 

I'd like to note real quick, that the chart does not say anything about how these are strictly white ideals as you stated earlier. Merely that they are white ideals. What is controversial about that when you yourself reacted with essentially "No shit"?

sundin13 said:
TonsofPuppies said:

I'm with you (and the rest of the left) for like... 90% of your argument. I might not agree with every minute detail, but I generally agree with the overall premise. I think where I disagree is with the solution to the problem. I don't see how something like affirmative action (a discriminatory practice by definition) is helpful. I don't see how demonizing white people and blaming them for every stumble of the black community is helpful. I don't see how defunding the police in areas with higher than average crime rates is helpful. By the way, I'm not claiming that these are YOUR suggested solutions or anything like that. But they are suggestions being pushed by many prominent left wing politicians and pretty much the entire Democratic party.

-Affirmative Action - Access to higher education helps to break the cycle of poverty, and it helps provide the benefit of perspectives from different communities in the area which the affirmative action is employed. It also helps counter racism that still exists in selection processes, like the tendency of employers to value individuals with a white sounding name over individuals with a non-white sounding name. This is a sort of stop-gap measure in my opinion. We should dump a metric ton of funding into our schools to ensure that every school is providing a top level education, however, until that occurs, this is a fairly obvious solution with fairly obvious benefits. 

-Demonizing White People - As far as mainstream democratic policy, I don't believe this is really something that needs to be worried about.

-Defund the police - Defunding the police is and has always been about expanding the crime prevention ecosystem to create a system of proactive instead of reactive crime fighting. It is about asking "Why is there crime" and not just "Where is there crime". If we were to know that improving schooling reduces crime, then "Defund the Police" would be asking "Instead of spending money arresting people, spend money on schools so those people don't need to be arrested at all". Policing serves an important purpose, but even police acknowledge that it is overburdened with the task of addressing every societal ill. That burden should be distributed to those who are best able to handle the job. Not every problem is a nail, so we need to stop acting like a hammer is the solution to everything.

Unfortunately, my time is running short and I've got things to do, so I can't keep the conversation going more at the moment. But I will close by saying that there is plenty of evidence to show that affirmative action isn't having the intended effect, but rather the opposite.

I'm glad we were able to find SOME common ground though. It was refreshing after many heated moments in this thread. So cheers. I'll check back here later today or tomorrow.

Around the Network
TonsofPuppies said:

Unfortunately, my time is running short and I've got things to do, so I can't keep the conversation going more at the moment. But I will close by saying that there is plenty of evidence to show that affirmative action isn't having the intended effect, but rather the opposite.

I'm glad we were able to find SOME common ground though. It was refreshing after many heated moments in this thread. So cheers. I'll check back here later today or tomorrow.

If it doesn't have the intended effect, I am all for changing the way it is done or removing it, however to state that the intent is ill-founded is an entirely different question (which is the question I believed we were discussing).

And yeah, I appreciate the conversation. It's been surprisingly productive even if we disagree on most things.

sundin13 said:

Cobretti2 said:

Pretty harsh tbh. Too many people care about every second of a Celebrity's life instead of focusing on what really should matter to them.

This is television enjoy the fantasy worlds that actors create. Forget about their personal lives and social media as how does it add value to your life? You have one life to live and it goes quick. All that shit in the grand scheme of things is irrelevant.

The conservative response to the coronavirus including the pushback against masks which Gina participated in very much affects my life and the lives of everybody else in this country. It is kind of hard to say that they're just words when you see that the impact of these words is literally killing people. Personally, I'd love to be out living my life, but unfortunately we are in the middle of a pandemic which is exacerbated by conservative rhetoric.

Do you honestly think that Gina is responsible for people not wearing masks lol?

There are conspiracy theorists doing a far bigger push on social media and through protests and even some medical experts who think herd immunity is the best course of action fuelling that agenda. The same people have an issue with everything as they think the Government is trying to control them. These people have existed long before social media. You just see it more because it is now in your face.

Live your life doesn't just mean going outside. We have been in multiple lockdowns for over 10 months now.  Instead of moping about it, I decided to learn shit and better my life through knowledge, find other ways to bring in a income, catch up with people I normally don't have time as we all be working to via skype etc. 

TonsofPuppies said:

Yes, identity politics does lead to death and destruction. Glad we agree on that. As for your second premise, there's a difference between being proud of your country and/or culture and thinking that all other countries/cultures are inferior to your own, though there is obviously some overlap between the two. Unchecked nationalism to the point of vilifying and identifying the "others" as your enemies does indeed lead to genocide, yes. It's just another form of identity politics. Identity politics are not exclusively used by the left - the right has and does use them as well, though the left uses them far more at the moment.

As soon as I see identity politics become a major component of the modern right in the Western world, I will happily take a stand against that too. And it will happen. If you think the dominant populace (the benefactors of so called "white-privilege") are going to stand for being vilified and demonized forever simply for being white and/or conservative, you're very mistaken. The shit show you saw at the capitol on January 6th was just an appetizer of what's to come. And it's a real shame, because it's totally unnecessary. Everyone should be moving toward the centre and finding some common ground, yet every day both sides drift further apart. As I said earlier in this thread - I wish it didn't have to be this way, as any non-sociopathic person would. Sadly, no one is taking the warnings seriously.

Even as misinformed Canadian I'm pretty sure you know about the might and size of the US military there aren't enough irate right wingers in the US that have enough firepower to mess with the US military.  So nope what happened on January 6th isn't an appetizers of what is to come unless a bunch of right wingers have a serious death wish.  The US military isn't going to be reduced in size enough in my or your lifetime that it isn't big enough to squash any uprising in no time.  The only think radical that could happen in the US is a military coup and the country could turn into a military dictatorship.

Chris Hu said:
TonsofPuppies said:

Yes, identity politics does lead to death and destruction. Glad we agree on that. As for your second premise, there's a difference between being proud of your country and/or culture and thinking that all other countries/cultures are inferior to your own, though there is obviously some overlap between the two. Unchecked nationalism to the point of vilifying and identifying the "others" as your enemies does indeed lead to genocide, yes. It's just another form of identity politics. Identity politics are not exclusively used by the left - the right has and does use them as well, though the left uses them far more at the moment.

As soon as I see identity politics become a major component of the modern right in the Western world, I will happily take a stand against that too. And it will happen. If you think the dominant populace (the benefactors of so called "white-privilege") are going to stand for being vilified and demonized forever simply for being white and/or conservative, you're very mistaken. The shit show you saw at the capitol on January 6th was just an appetizer of what's to come. And it's a real shame, because it's totally unnecessary. Everyone should be moving toward the centre and finding some common ground, yet every day both sides drift further apart. As I said earlier in this thread - I wish it didn't have to be this way, as any non-sociopathic person would. Sadly, no one is taking the warnings seriously.

Even as misinformed Canadian I'm pretty sure you know about the might and size of the US military there aren't enough irate right wingers in the US that have enough firepower to mess with the US military.  So nope what happened on January 6th isn't an appetizers of what is to come unless a bunch of right wingers have a serious death wish.  The US military isn't going to be reduced in size enough in my or your lifetime that it isn't big enough to squash any uprising in no time.  The only think radical that could happen in the US is a military coup and the country could turn into a military dictatorship.

Revoke 2A and see what happens. It will get ugly. I never said that the right wingers were going to overthrow the US government or take over the country, but my point is that there is inevitably going to be a civil war of some sort in the not too distant future if things keep going on their current trajectory. And regardless of what side of the current culture war you find yourself on, I think we can all agree that that would be horrible.