By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Gina Carano - Disney fired her, what does that solve?

RolStoppable said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'd be curious to hear what the pro-Identity Politics camp in this thread think about this:

To me that is a perfect example of just how harmful identity politics has become. An entire race of some 750-850m people worldwide being demonized for the color of their skin. Like one of the top replies to that tweet says, if that same statement "Dismantling whiteness, and not allowing whiteness to reassert itself" was applied to any other race expect whites it would be seen as calling for mass extermination and cultural annihilation. 

I am not really sure what the image intends to say, so an American would have to explain it to me.

For the time being, I look at this image as something directed at people who consider whiteness a defining trait of themself as an individual, so it's not directed at me. Also, the description says that white people have done this exercise about people of other colors in the past, so why not return the favor; to me, this looks like an attempt at identifying racists by way of their reactions to this image.

Yikes. And you were the one who accused me of making a great leap earlier.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
TonsofPuppies said:

Yikes. And you were the one who accused me of making a great leap earlier.

You got me interested enough to do a Google search and this is what I got:

https://medium.com/@LeciaMichelle/white-people-where-do-you-rank-8ec41f08cb92

I guess this means that I am better than the lot of you.

TonsofPuppies said:
Torillian said:

you've mentioned the broken clock thing a couple times but this doesn't seem to apply. I know a broken clock is right twice a day because I have working clocks to compare them to. If all you provide is a PJW video you are giving me a broken clock and saying we should just trust it because it could be right, but if you have a trustworthy working clock that you are using to know that PJW isn't wrong again here it would be more useful to tell us the trustworthy source you are using to decide that PJW isn't full of shit like usual. 

You won't know if he's full of shit (on this particular topic) or not until you watch it, now will you? If you're not interested, that's fine. Be as close-minded as you see fit. All I'm saying is that it's a terrible way to view the world and it's the primary reason why we're in such a divided state where one side refuses to even speak to the other. It's just two opposing extremes seeing who can yell the loudest over one another. Sad to see, to be honest. I remember when people used to be able to discuss their differences in opinion in a civilized manner, which actually led to problems being identified and addressed. It wasn't that long ago.

I remember when people used to not be lazy and actually make their arguments instead of linking a youtube video. You don't want to discuss differences in opinion in a civilized manner, you want to give me homework to watch a youtube video of someone I have no respect for to try to glean the pearls from the shit oyster. Don't whine about how noone wants to discuss things until you put in the work on your end. 

Last edited by Torillian - on 21 February 2021

TonsofPuppies said:

No, of course not. We should stand against injustices and always work to improve our society. However, just because a society isn't perfect, doesn't mean it should be torn to the ground and rebuilt from ashes. If your society functions 80% of the time, I don't think a total restructure is required or wise. You have to draw the line somewhere. Essentially, I'm in favour of gradual, progressive improvement. I am strongly against radical, revolutionary transformation.

The civil rights movement was a fundamental and necessary step towards betterment of society. Trying to enforce measures of equity (equality of outcome) just because not all groups of people are represented exactly equally at all levels of employment, etc. is not going to benefit society in anyway. The west was built on the idea of meritocracy, though I am perfectly fine with admitting that we have not always adhered to these standards (which is why the civil rights movement was necessary). Using the model of meritocracy is something we should not throw away, because it's why the Western world has managed to achieve all of the good things that it has. If you work harder than other people, you DESERVE an unequal outcome. Your race / gender / religion / sexual orientation should never even enter the equation. Can we at least agree on that?

I am not aware of any Democrats in government who are advocating for out society to be torn to the ground. Some small bits need some pretty significant redos, but not the entire society. As such, I feel as if you are largely creating a strawman here. That said, one of the best examples of "radical, revolutionary transformation" I'd say was the civil rights movement. It sought to change a lot of things that are foundational to our society and do it real quickly, yet we both support that.

As per your latter claim, "Trying to enforce measures of equity (equality of outcome) just because not all groups of people are represented exactly equally at all levels of employment, etc. is not going to benefit society", again, it seems like a strawman. I don't believe there is much concern that not all groups aren't represented equally at all levels of employment until the question of "why" is answered, which is a question you seem to be ignoring. If the reason for this is sexism, that should be stamped out. If the reason for this is racism, it should be stamped out. If the reason for this is decades of underfunding of schools in black and brown communities have led to these communities producing fewer individuals who are able to participate in higher education, causing a lack of representation of individuals from these communities at certain levels of employment, that should be stamped out. A meritocracy only works if we truly create a meritocracy. That also means that if you spend 100 years holding back a community, removing those restrictions won't create equitable outcomes, as they are competing with communities who have been running full speed for 100 years. Equality of opportunity can only exist if we not only remove the barriers of the past, but also alleviate the consequences of those barriers. 

Torillian said:
TonsofPuppies said:

You won't know if he's full of shit (on this particular topic) or not until you watch it, now will you? If you're not interested, that's fine. Be as close-minded as you see fit. All I'm saying is that it's a terrible way to view the world and it's the primary reason why we're in such a divided state where one side refuses to even speak to the other. It's just two opposing extremes seeing who can yell the loudest over one another. Sad to see, to be honest. I remember when people used to be able to discuss their differences in opinion in a civilized manner, which actually led to problems being identified and addressed. It wasn't that long ago.

I remember when people used to not be lazy and actually make their arguments instead of linking a youtube video. You don't want to discuss differences in opinion in a civilized manner, you want to give me homework to watch a youtube video of someone I have no respect for to try to lean the pearls from the shit oyster. Don't whine about how noone wants to discuss things until you put in the work on your end. 

Stay in your safe space then. I honestly don't care. If you want to live in a safe space, that's totally fine with me. It's not what I would recommend, but only you can control who is granted clearance to your echo chamber.

Around the Network
TonsofPuppies said:
Torillian said:

I remember when people used to not be lazy and actually make their arguments instead of linking a youtube video. You don't want to discuss differences in opinion in a civilized manner, you want to give me homework to watch a youtube video of someone I have no respect for to try to lean the pearls from the shit oyster. Don't whine about how noone wants to discuss things until you put in the work on your end. 

Stay in your safe space then. I honestly don't care. If you want to live in a safe space, that's totally fine with me. It's not what I would recommend, but only you can control who is granted clearance to your echo chamber.

*rolls eyes*

I'd write out more but you don't seem to want to discuss things. Sad to see, to be honest. I remember when people used to be able to discuss their differences in opinion in a civilized manner, which actually led to problems being identified and addressed. It wasn't that long ago.

sundin13 said:
TonsofPuppies said:

No, of course not. We should stand against injustices and always work to improve our society. However, just because a society isn't perfect, doesn't mean it should be torn to the ground and rebuilt from ashes. If your society functions 80% of the time, I don't think a total restructure is required or wise. You have to draw the line somewhere. Essentially, I'm in favour of gradual, progressive improvement. I am strongly against radical, revolutionary transformation.

The civil rights movement was a fundamental and necessary step towards betterment of society. Trying to enforce measures of equity (equality of outcome) just because not all groups of people are represented exactly equally at all levels of employment, etc. is not going to benefit society in anyway. The west was built on the idea of meritocracy, though I am perfectly fine with admitting that we have not always adhered to these standards (which is why the civil rights movement was necessary). Using the model of meritocracy is something we should not throw away, because it's why the Western world has managed to achieve all of the good things that it has. If you work harder than other people, you DESERVE an unequal outcome. Your race / gender / religion / sexual orientation should never even enter the equation. Can we at least agree on that?

I am not aware of any Democrats in government who are advocating for out society to be torn to the ground. Some small bits need some pretty significant redos, but not the entire society. As such, I feel as if you are largely creating a strawman here. That said, one of the best examples of "radical, revolutionary transformation" I'd say was the civil rights movement. It sought to change a lot of things that are foundational to our society and do it real quickly, yet we both support that.

As per your latter claim, "Trying to enforce measures of equity (equality of outcome) just because not all groups of people are represented exactly equally at all levels of employment, etc. is not going to benefit society", again, it seems like a strawman. I don't believe there is much concern that not all groups aren't represented equally at all levels of employment until the question of "why" is answered, which is a question you seem to be ignoring. If the reason for this is sexism, that should be stamped out. If the reason for this is racism, it should be stamped out. If the reason for this is decades of underfunding of schools in black and brown communities have led to these communities producing fewer individuals who are able to participate in higher education, causing a lack of representation of individuals from these communities at certain levels of employment, that should be stamped out. A meritocracy only works if we truly create a meritocracy. That also means that if you spend 100 years holding back a community, removing those restrictions won't create equitable outcomes, as they are competing with communities who have been running full speed for 100 years. Equality of opportunity can only exist if we not only remove the barriers of the past, but also alleviate the consequences of those barriers. 

I agree that the civil rights movement was a radical transformation, but it certainly didn't happen quickly. It took nearly two decades. And I actually agree with you that equality of opportunity can only exist if systemic barriers are removed, etc. However, modern left-wing politicians have stopped fighting for equality (because by and large, at least in the West, that's already been achieved) and have shifted their focus towards equity, which is in fact equality of outcome. And this is where the radical transformation / tear down of society comes in. Because you cannot have meritocracy and equality of outcome at the same time.

Torillian said:
TonsofPuppies said:

*rolls eyes*

I'd write out more but you don't seem to want to discuss things. Sad to see, to be honest. I remember when people used to be able to discuss their differences in opinion in a civilized manner, which actually led to problems being identified and addressed. It wasn't that long ago.

Yep. I'm going to play it your way. You think that PJW is too far to the extreme to be worth listening to and that's your prerogative. Based on the things you've said here, I think you're too far to the opposite extreme to be worth listening to and that's my prerogative.

TonsofPuppies said:
sundin13 said:

I agree that the civil rights movement was a radical transformation, but it certainly didn't happen quickly. It took nearly two decades. And I actually agree with you that equality of opportunity can only exist if systemic barriers are removed, etc. However, modern left-wing politicians have stopped fighting for equality (because by and large, at least in the West, that's already been achieved) and have shifted their focus towards equity, which is in fact equality of outcome. And this is where the radical transformation / tear down of society comes in. Because you cannot have meritocracy and equality of outcome at the same time.

If we don't have equality of outcome amongst racial groups do we have equality of opportunity to start with? I'd argue no, and the current left is working to make opportunities equal amongst such groups. If you do think all racial groups have the same level of opportunity why are certain racial groups consistently ending up with worse outcomes on average? In my mind there are two ways to explain it: it's either due to environment or genetics. I'm putting my bet on environment and so I want to improve that environment so everyone actually has equality of opportunity. 

TonsofPuppies said:
sundin13 said:

I didn't say it happened quickly, I said "it sought to change a lot of things [...] and do it quickly". It failed in that regard, however it would be wrong to say that the Civil Rights Movement was a movement for slow, gradual change.

As for the rest of what you said, you seemed to have stopped reading part of the way through my post, or at least failed to comprehend what I said. Modern left wing politicians are fighting for equity because they acknowledge exactly what I said. You can't simply remove systemic barriers (aka, create equality of opportunity) and assume that everything is fine. That is largely what the right wants. They want to look at the world today and say "we no longer have inherently racist systems, so our job is done". First of all, the former assertion isn't true, but even if it was, the job would be far from done because minorities are still suffering from the consequences of policies that were lifted decades ago.