By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic is doubling down on it's exclusivity initiative

RolStoppable said:
LurkerJ said:

Waiting for the idiots to fall inline and explain to me how EPIC is pro-gamer.

Epic is attempting to break up the Steam monopoly on the PC. Steam is bad for gamers because games are sold for cheap prices there.

full digital, you cant copy the files or resale, the prices go down fast. 

i take the free games, but my money yet goes for GOG and STEAM.

Around the Network

Thanks papa Tim, EGS exclusives improve my life significantly.

Yet these shitbags want people to get behind them over Apple.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Well, the best and surest way to make your platform enticing to gamers is by having games that nobody has. That's the most basic principle of any gaming console or platform.

So yeah, kind of obvious that they would double down on it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Unless the games are published/funded by Epic then I'll be OK with it.

Around the Network

Normally I'm against exclusivity, but its not like Epic "exclusive" games can only be played on some PC's. It is just a free, universally available storefront so there really isn't a strong consumer drawback to "exclusivity". "I can't buy it from my preferred store" doesn't really seem like a strong enough drawback for me to get worked up about.

I'd be interested to hear from those who are angry about this what the actual cost of exclusivity is to the consumer.

sundin13 said:

Normally I'm against exclusivity, but its not like Epic "exclusive" games can only be played on some PC's. It is just a free, universally available storefront so there really isn't a strong consumer drawback to "exclusivity". "I can't buy it from my preferred store" doesn't really seem like a strong enough drawback for me to get worked up about.

I'd be interested to hear from those who are angry about this what the actual cost of exclusivity is to the consumer.

But what if this sets the dominos off to almost all games going to them over Steve, leading to Valve going out of business and Gabe Newell becoming homeless living in Nick Offerman's creek begging him to teach him how to fish?

LurkerJ said:

Waiting for the idiots to fall inline and explain to me how EPIC is pro-gamer.

Epic is definitely not pro-gamer. And neither is any other company in the gaming industry. This is capitalism, the best thing we can hope for is an enemy of an enemy.

Last edited by vivster - on 09 February 2021

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sundin13 said:

It's mostly on principle and personal slight inconvenience. No one had an issue when almost all PC games were Steam exclusive. Having Epic means having the inconvenience of being on multiple platforms and you can't just inconvenience people who enjoyed the benefits of a monopoly for so long.

The truth is that Epic has the exact same business model as consoles, except it's not nearly as bad. That's why I can hate what consoles are doing and still tolerate what Epic is doing without being a hypocrite.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Does EGS support Linux by now? Nope. So Epic still pays to keep games from me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]