By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia closes internal studios and change business focus

Color me, well, any color really, just not surprised. A poorly conceived and even worse executed concept which aimed at no demographic known to the industry and still somehow sported some unappealing pricing and zero exclusive incentive for purchase and ownership. Stadia was a disaster when announced, was still a disaster when it launched, and has continued to be a disaster post-launch. Let talented developers spend their time and effort on real projects. This smells almost like Nokia N-Gage all over again.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

Stadia's not fully dead yet, but this is a blow to it.

Stadia was dead on arrival lol, but this news really isn't going to be news for anyone I wager, stadia was yet another thing aimed at the casual player but required a ton of up front investment as well as having a very non casual data connection and desire to play AAA games.

Casuals wouldn't buy into it because they don't pay money for games when stuff like Wild Rift / Genshin are totally free and the more core gamers wouldn't buy into it because they'll already have installed dedicated hardware and the know how that Google are a bad investment when it comes to wacky new ideas.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

noname2200 said:

Did these studios actually produce anything?

Nope, they haven't gotten even the time to produce their first games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

coolbeans said:
noname2200 said:

Did these studios actually produce anything?

They cultivated some solid talent, but... somehow didn't realize it takes 3-4 years to turn around the average AAA game.  Hopefully that means those Stadia 'console exclusives' they still have can sneak over elsewhere.

Gylt is a fine game, which needs to see a bigger audience.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

The videogame market is not easy. Apple, Amazon, and Google are not entertainment companies, and because this has a hard transition to gaming space. A Netflix, A Hbo, or an entertainment company maybe will more dangerous than tech-rich companies for Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Games is not tech branch, they use a tech branch, but games are all about entertainment.

Around the Network

What really surprises me is what this indicates about Google.
MS had tons of money they were willing to lose when they fully committed to their long term Xbox plan and they didn't run away from it because they obviously had a plan.
Google is similarly a mega corporation that has tons of money. You would think they wouldn't mind losing money on these studios knowing what they could achieve in the future. To me, this is an indication that they had no long term plan. Either that or the overlords Alphabet got involved and told them to stop?

Who could guess... but there are still people (don`t remember who was listing it recently) who list Google as a major competitor to make PS5 life hard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Who could guess... but there are still people (don`t remember who was listing it recently) who list Google as a major competitor to make PS5 life hard.

Even google wanted to distance themselves from the thoughts of the Stadia creative director lol

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-23-google-distances-itself-from-stadia-creative-director-alex-hutchinson

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:

Even google wanted to distance themselves from the thoughts of the Stadia creative director lol

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-23-google-distances-itself-from-stadia-creative-director-alex-hutchinson

You know that they only said it first because there was backlash and second because a major source of revenue for Google is showing content for which they have no legal rights including streaming.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

coolbeans said:
Mnementh said:

Gylt is a fine game, which needs to see a bigger audience.

True, but that's a 3rd party exclusive they signed.  Same with Submerged: Hidden Depths. 

Would be nice for both to go elsewhere.

Yeah, they are 3rd-party, Google did not release any 1st-party so far, which makes this decision even more mind-boggling.