By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google Stadia closes internal studios and change business focus

Stellar_Fungk said:

So what happens now?

The same thing that has been going on since Stadia launched: nothing at all.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

good... Google controls the internet and therefore half the world... search engine, business software, mobile phone software, satellite nagivation... there is no need to control the gaming industry too

Google's power is scary

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I'm a cloud and stream enthusiast, so it's bad news for me to see gaming will be one more generation trapped in this is archaic business model where we need to upgrade our hardware every 6 years when everybody else in the world already living in the cloud world  unchained, unconstrained 

Darwinianevolution said:
smroadkill15 said:

They were never really in it. The problem with Stadia is the lack of compelling 1st party software. Instead of investing in games early on, they released a service and then invested in 1st party studios which means it will be at least 3-4 years before one of their games releases, which leaves Stadia to survive solely on 3rd party titles. Amazon did a slightly better job at this, but still is missing any kind of compelling software to get gamers invested in the ecosystem.

Saying "the problem with Stadia" when talking about it makes it sound like it only had one problem, which is being mighty generous.

Maybe not. But there's always one main problem to every situation. I would agree that since you are trying to brake into a entertainment market where the product is games, then just logic dictates that games are needed for that and they did not have them. Any other issue after that is secondary. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Mandalore76 said:

I still think Stadia was always about Google finding a way to repackage old unsold Chromecasts that they couldn't figure any other way to get rid of.

I feel like this thought process needs its own thread with a glorious conspiracy theory OP that we can necro bump for years to come. I am amused!

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I'm a cloud and stream enthusiast, so it's bad news for me to see gaming will be one more generation trapped in this is archaic business model where we need to upgrade our hardware every 6 years when everybody else in the world already living in the cloud world  unchained, unconstrained 

And enter an age where the people who uses cloud upgrade their phones every 1 or 2 years =p revolutionary.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Not surprising. The cloud is part of the future of the industry, but Stadia just sucked.

DonFerrari said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Even google wanted to distance themselves from the thoughts of the Stadia creative director lol

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-10-23-google-distances-itself-from-stadia-creative-director-alex-hutchinson

You know that they only said it first because there was backlash and second because a major source of revenue for Google is showing content for which they have no legal rights including streaming.

Just kinda hilarious that the creative director of one of their new projects wasn't aware of the rake he was about to step on with that tweet though, always find it fun when a shit concept attempts to attack things around it in an attempt to make other things seem just as poor as itself... but yeah it just comes off like a outmatched idiot in a fight deciding to go down swinging and ends up punching out his own trainer before landing a punch directly into his own face.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:

You know that they only said it first because there was backlash and second because a major source of revenue for Google is showing content for which they have no legal rights including streaming.

Just kinda hilarious that the creative director of one of their new projects wasn't aware of the rake he was about to step on with that tweet though, always find it fun when a shit concept attempts to attack things around it in an attempt to make other things seem just as poor as itself... but yeah it just comes off like a outmatched idiot in a fight deciding to go down swinging and ends up punching out his own trainer before landing a punch directly into his own face.

No doubt about it. Someone so disconnected from the company he works at a very high position and openly talks in opposite direction of what that company plan is =p When Nintendo had that action at least it made sense (not that it would work out).

Next we should see this guy saying that Google should pay a big cash for the original content owners.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Ganoncrotch said:

No doubt about it. Someone so disconnected from the company he works at a very high position and openly talks in opposite direction of what that company plan is =p When Nintendo had that action at least it made sense (not that it would work out).

Next we should see this guy saying that Google should pay a big cash for the original content owners.

I think the other higher ups would be like.... "we need to sit down and explain your position in the company here."

*after the meeting*

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive