By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What other gaming forums would you recommend?

Jaicee said:

I've decided to try VGR.

I'd actually not heard of that one, but I'm been looking for another gaming forum to try to get into now that IGN is almost dead. I might give it a go too, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

I used to hang out in Sega forum before they closed , My other option is dl discord, join a server Like a Sony or ubisoft server? talk about anything that server put rules. like this I'll show my discord

Except you are always making topics about how horrible all the chat rooms you visit are.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:
Jaicee said:

I've decided to try VGR.

I'd actually not heard of that one, but I'm been looking for another gaming forum to try to get into now that IGN is almost dead. I might give it a go too, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

No problem! I just Googled "video game forums" and there it was right between NeoGAF and ResetEra. That's how I discovered it. Considering how small the active membership appears to be, I honestly have no idea how it got there. It's a miracle though, from what I've seen! I've registered now, but of course they have a manual confirmation process, so I can't formally post there yet.

Why just not choose a non-gaming forum if you want to talk about politics?

Not a forum but you should try Twitter.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
kirby007 said:

does rule 2 rule out resetera?

I don't really know, that's why I'm asking. Like the impression of ResetEra I've been given is that it's a super uptight, super politically correct type of place where you could plausibly get banned for not capitalizing the B in "black", for not embracing the term "cisgender", for referring to prostituted women as prostituted women and not the PC term "sex workers", for describing the Islamic State as and Islamic organization, that sort of thing. If that's the case then no, I don't wish to join only to inevitably be banned within hours or days.

That said, I have perused ResetEra's forums a bit and while I definitely sense a one-sidedly left-leaning political skew (something, incidentally, I also sense a bit on VGR, the politics section of which seems to be overwhelmingly pro-Biden), I've not yet seen any concrete evidence that like I couldn't survive comfortably there necessarily. It seems very pro-feminist and I've noticed that there's more than one female member there confirmed, which to me is a good thing. But I also see a lot of lingo that stems specifically from intersectionality theory and that does worry me about the possibility of it actually being very restrictive in terms of what exactly you can and cannot say or believe. So some good indicators (to me) and some possible bad ones as well. I don't really know what to make of it all as yet. Is anyone here a member of ResetEra or have you been?

Well, it's not the top contender on my list right now because of these concerns, but also just because the board layout is a bit confusing to me as well, honestly. I've gotten used to it to an extent now after a couple days of casual lurking, but I still have some difficulty just navigating it. I'm also just not sure how much I even want to join a super high-traffic community where things move much faster than my work schedule.

Bottom line: I haven't ruled ResetEra out yet, but I think I might like the more relaxed atmosphere I'm seeing on VGR better.

I frequent ResetEra just for the insiders. If you post there something that isn't liked by one of the members, be prepared, because he or she won't doubt to let you know. But the problem for me is that they sometimes aren't that polite, they don't have problems saying things like "are you an idiot?", "what a dumb reply". To me, it's a heavy space that is far from being as welcoming as it should be.  

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I would actually love to see you start a gender identity or feminism related topic in resetera. I just know the community has the maturity to have a proper conversation about it.

zero129 said:
Metallox said:

I frequent ResetEra just for the insiders. If you post there something that isn't liked by one of the members, be prepared, because he or she won't doubt to let you know. But the problem for me is that they sometimes aren't that polite, they don't have problems saying things like "are you an idiot?", "what a dumb reply". To me, it's a heavy space that is far from being as welcoming as it should be.  

I think that should be let even here. But thats "if" the person "IS" being an idiot i dont see a problem with calling them it.

IcaroRibeiro said:

So much this. Its the main reason why i backed out of the thread here, cause I'm not coming here for politics. The is plenty of other places for things like that.

It also makes some users here, who would maybe otherwise get on well? not get on so well.

Having politics in a gaming forum is just trowing one more wall between the users on said forum.

Console Wars <--This already has users arguing with each other.

Politics <--  More users fighting.

However i understand the reason for having it. And plenty of users might only be here for that section, i dont know.

So that's why after popping in for a bit i popped straight back out. Its just not what i come here for.

Sure, sure. But it's unfair for the posts that aren't provocative or aren't looking for problems. I say this because it's happened to me three or four times, which is quite a lot for the few posts I have made in the platform. The problem isn't the name calling itself, it's how aggressive the posters can turn very quickly. In general, that's for a very unpleasant experience in the forum. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

The board I'm substituting for VGR was a politics-themed one, actually. When I was there I would mainly discuss public policy and casually discuss video games in a specialized section for them. What I'm doing here is essentially reversing that logic and picking a games-focused board where I can casually discuss policy on the side. As much reflects my dwindling fascination with public policy over the years more than anything else really.

(To those who contend that politics are a source of division...well I actually get most of my up-votes here, for example, in the Politics forum. It's seems to be my game-related opinions that seem to be more contentious. Also, I find that people's political values often impact what sorts of games interest them, so it's not as though the two things are necessarily unrelated.)

Jpcc86 said:

I would actually love to see you start a gender identity or feminism related topic in resetera. I just know the community has the maturity to have a proper conversation about it.

That's one thing I wouldn't do if I were ever to join. I find it increasingly difficult to do that here, let alone on a board where people's "genders" are listed in pronoun form. I'd try to avoid topics like gender identity if I were on ResetEra...although no doubt they'd be brought up from time to time and what are the chances I'd always resist the temptation to comment? That's an example of the issue for me.

If it's any sort of consolation, I've had plenty of "conversations" with liberals, progressives, trans activists, these sorts of people, on the topic of gender identity before, so I can give you some general idea of how they go. Whether it begins with a discussion of of locker rooms, sports, prisons, heterosexual "lesbianism", or, ya know, J.K. Rowling omg, I find that openness to feminist perspectives on any of these subjects is nihil. One is typically first compared to Mike Pence before being lectured about the Trump border wall that you surely support and likened to Jim Crow-era racial segregationists because one holds that men should use the men's room. Pejoratives ranging from "terf" to "fascist" invariably ensue, perhaps followed by hyperbolic accusations of murder (not kidding), as disagreeing with trans activists is deadly in and of itself apparently. In other words, it's generally pointless to try because there is no interest in even attempting a dialogue in good faith; certainly none in hearing a perspective that differs from the semi-official narrative. It's not as though feminists themselves are always angels by any means either, as reactions to this sort of treatment can get ugly fast too.

Matter-of-factly, I would say that that describes politics in general right now: no one is even trying to listen to anyone else. We just talk past each other for up-votes from "our team". Hence my waning interest in that arena.

That said, I think that to characterize ResetEra as a restrictive place is relative, based on what I'm seeing thereon, as there are lots of conversations I'm seeing going on there that one would get lynched for attempting here. For example, I've noticed one on the question of whether pedophilia is more common in anime than it is Western animation over on ResetEra. I believe that's a thought many people have had before, but there's such a strong fetishism about Japan here that I seriously doubt one could have such a convo here without it descending into bitter accusations of racism and such.

Jaicee said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The board I'm substituting for VGR was a politics-themed one, actually. When I was there I would mainly discuss public policy and casually discuss video games in a specialized section for them. What I'm doing here is essentially reversing that logic and picking a games-focused board where I can casually discuss policy on the side. As much reflects my dwindling fascination with public policy over the years more than anything else really.

(To those who contend that politics are a source of division...well I actually get most of my up-votes here, for example, in the Politics forum. It's seems to be my game-related opinions that seem to be more contentious. Also, I find that people's political values often impact what sorts of games interest them, so it's not as though the two things are necessarily unrelated.)

Jpcc86 said:

That's one thing I wouldn't do if I were ever to join. I find it increasingly difficult to do that here, let alone on a board where people's "genders" are listed in pronoun form. I'd try to avoid topics like gender identity if I were on ResetEra...although no doubt they'd be brought up from time to time and what are the chances I'd always resist the temptation to comment? That's an example of the issue for me.

If it's any sort of consolation, I've had plenty of "conversations" with liberals, progressives, trans activists, these sorts of people, on the topic of gender identity before, so I can give you some general idea of how they go. Whether it begins with a discussion of of locker rooms, sports, prisons, heterosexual "lesbianism", or, ya know, J.K. Rowling omg, I find that openness to feminist perspectives on any of these subjects is nihil. One is typically first compared to Mike Pence before being lectured about the Trump border wall that you surely support and likened to Jim Crow-era racial segregationists because one holds that men should use the men's room. Pejoratives ranging from "terf" to "fascist" invariably ensue, perhaps followed by hyperbolic accusations of murder (not kidding), as disagreeing with trans activists is deadly in and of itself apparently. In other words, it's generally pointless to try because there is no interest in even attempting a dialogue in good faith; certainly none in hearing a perspective that differs from the semi-official narrative. It's not as though feminists themselves are always angels by any means either, as reactions to this sort of treatment can get ugly fast too.

Matter-of-factly, I would say that that describes politics in general right now: no one is even trying to listen to anyone else. We just talk past each other for up-votes from "our team". Hence my waning interest in that arena.

That said, I think that to characterize ResetEra as a restrictive place is relative, based on what I'm seeing thereon, as there are lots of conversations I'm seeing going on there that one would get lynched for attempting here. For example, I've noticed one on the question of whether pedophilia is more common in anime than it is Western animation over on ResetEra. I believe that's a thought many people have had before, but there's such a strong fetishism about Japan here that I seriously doubt one could have such a convo here without it descending into bitter accusations of racism and such.

If you choose a more political-focused forum then you will probably have an easier time finding a nice place. Internet gaming boards aren't really the best place to discuss politics