By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What other gaming forums would you recommend?

Trumpstyle said:
coolbeans said:

Just what I see filter through my twitter feed from Resetera Takes.  I don't follow him, nor care when it's more opinionated stabs at admins/mods/users there, but the ones that reach my feed are more goofy bans that give me relief in knowing I'm not uptight like these people.

My favorite ban over at resetera was someone getting permaban for saying this:

"I'm not defending CDPR, but JK Rowling is a person, CDPR is a group of people, can we really bunch them all together like that? just finding logic on why people can be more outraged."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cdpr-is-a-transphobic-company-its-time-we-stop-making-excuses-for-them.307474/post-48641899

(post #42 if link don't work)

There was another fun ban, where a leftie got banned several months for making a comment that wasn't leftie enough :) but I can't find easy link to that one.

That is pretty funny.

Bans of conservatives on a leftish forum are mundane and boring to read. Like of course progressives disapprove of Trump supporters and such. Bans resulting from minor disagreements among progressives I find distinctly more pitiful and amusing.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

And you were the one to assume that those trash are about the woman who were sexually harrashed, which I never mentioned anywhere in my post. Which was pretty clear if I have to say, that the trash refered to the toxic users that went on to Resetera, which is known to.... everyone. And you assumed that the users who left Neogaf for Resetera are mostly woman, which is also... wrong.

And the world isn't black and white Jaimee. And that's the problem with politics nowadays. The users who up and left Neogaf to form Resetera are trash and toxic, as you can well see how Resetera ended up becomming. However, it doesn't mean that I am cool with sexual harrashment, or that these same users that, while they are toxic and unhealthy to a community, can't be right about a certain topic or another.

Being against sexual harrashment of woman and men, and condoning the actions of the same users that once Neogaf a toxic place can be done at the same time, since you or anyone can be against both things. Both are different topics that can be approached and discussed on it's own.

Alright, so lowering the temperature a little, this clarification does help because no, it was not just "obvious" to me.

I don't feel that ResetEra's style of moderation is an issue of comparable magnitude to real-world sexual harassment and violence. I just don't and attempts to equate the two things I will always disagree with. Groping is not a free speech issue in my mind. That said, I DO get what you're saying about ResetEra being kind of a snowflakey place at the same time. I think we're at least mostly in agreement here.

RolStoppable said:

Now that's just unfair towards Nautilus.

For one, it's not women as a whole who are trash, but rather the female equivalent of incels. And two, it's not exclusively women who hold those intolerant views. I suspect that among the many males who are agreeing with these women, there's a part who really means what they say while others pursue a beta male strategy of trying to impress women with how understanding they are.

I think me and Nautilus have achieved some clarification at this point and I'm working on patching things up a bit with him if I can.

Anyway, I don't consider objecting to sexual harassment or wishing to be permitted to discuss the subject as something analogous to "inceldom", which is practically a form of misogynistic terrorism often in practice. No one is proposing the murder of Tyler Malka that I'm aware of. They've simply objected to his actions.

As to the motivations of "feminist men", yeah I agree. I mean I don't know just every detail of this situation from 2017 because I wasn't actually there for it myself, but I mean just experientially, being involved in the women's movement, I find that there are definitely male allies, so-called, who's motivations aren't that different from those of most men's rights activists; an obsessive craving of (particularly sexual) female attention that might very well be just as controlling and rapacious in practice. They just have different strategy for achieving the same result, like sucking up and proclaiming one's self a feminist in order to then assert the right to define what women's interests are for them in convenient and self-serving ways. This phenom is known in the movement as a guy being a "white knight", which is a way of saying that he's a sexual opportunist. Tyler Malka is actually a perfect example of this. Up to that point in 2017, he would publicly champion women's rights and interest, like speaking out against Gamergate and in defense of their victims (example). In reality though, this posture as a "male feminist" turned out to be a cover for his private life. And the attitudes that informed his private life in turn he would use to define the concept of feminism for the women on NeoGAF, like by banning users for claiming that Hugh Hefner of Playboy wasn't a a feminist icon. It was a great racket.

These are the sorts of reasons why I tend to object when men proclaim themselves feminists. It's not that there aren't any, but that women alone should be allowed to define our own interests for ourselves. Men who want to be allies of the women's movement should focus on earning the label 'feminst' rather than just asserting it by proclamation. And so-called "sex-positive" feminism is a brand I'm always especially suspicious of for reasons like this.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 13 February 2021

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

Glad we can all agree that resetera is a fucking cancer forum and lets not mention the pedophilia shit they got exposed some time ago but no one in the gaming press talked about cause they all need that shit forum.

What's this a reference to now?

I know they get a lot of shit but outside of VGC I've honestly had the best experience on IGN as far as forums go. It's not perfect; moderation could be more vigilant and there are some trolls from time to time, but it's less toxic than just about any other gaming forum I've tried. It's the only other one I still bother to visit and use.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

There's only your first paragraph I have something to say on, because the rest I agree with.

ResetEra has a thread where intolerant users are allowed to have an echo chamber and are able to call for bans of users in other threads for commonly nothing more than having a less extreme view on any given topic that has something to do with the portrayal of female characters in video games. These women and men aren't fighting for the rights of real people, but to uphold their entitlement that every game developer should cater to their interests as well as everyone else being supposed to endorse these same views. That's why I am comparing it to incels, because they too have extreme views where anything less than theirs is considered an offense and must be slammed down and clamped down.

The point is that the spectrum is so broad that condemning these ResetEra folks isn't mutually exclusive with condemning sexual harassment and cover ups/prohibiting to discuss said topic. The majority of people, be it online or offline, are not on either one of the extreme sides of the spectrum, so for the majority it's highly problematic when any place has extremists dictate what can or cannot be discussed, and how it has to be discussed in case it's not entirely taboo. Both ResetEra and NeoGAF are infested with trash people, but said trash is composed of the opposite sides of the spectrum.

Or in other words, if anyone says that ResetEra has trash people in reference to political views, that's not an immediate reason to conclude that said person supports the views of the other side of the spectrum. Being against the more extreme forms of feminism doesn't mean that one condones sexual harassment of women, just like being against far-right nutjobs doesn't mean that one is in favor of large scale or even limitless immigration, to name a couple of examples.

Glad we're largely in agreement! As to the other stuff...

First of all, the comparison of forum bans to a movement that commonly advocates things like "state girlfriend programs" and has on a number of occasions conducted mass shootings and car attacks is still an absolutely terrible one, but I'll forgive it. That in the first place.

As to my feelings about addressing female representation in this medium, I'm of two minds on the subject:

On the one hand, I think it does matter. Before Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs. Women in Video Games series came out, I'd largely lost interest in gaming and wasn't even really keeping up anymore hardly. I probably...no actually I'll say certainly....wouldn't still be a gamer at all today if something didn't give because I'm telling you gaming culture as a whole was absolutely toxic and misogynistic by definition a decade ago and it had been getting noticeably worse over the preceding decade. The climate that yielded such outcomes was one where female-fronted games practically didn't exist and virtually all of them that did were like Bayonetta and Heavenly Sword and Lollipop Chainsaw and Barbie horseback riding games and well you get the picture, and wherein traditional damsel-in-distress were being "spiced up" with scenarios where you had to attack the damsel instead of rescuing her to keep things fresh and edgy and apparently no one could think of any other ways and it was all getting to be a little too impossible to ignore for me. Something had to give, at least for the sake of my psyche. And then along came this miraculous web video series that just said everything (well almost everything anyway) and well let's just say that I was there for Anita Sarkeesian. (Back then anyway, for that series. Not nearly as much nowadays, but that's another story.) Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I couldn't help but notice overlap between the time span of that series (2013-17) and a period wherein female game characters started becoming more numerous, more diverse in every way, more often playable, and generally less sexualized and also wherein frankly the gaming community matured a little (albeit with some growing pains...like Gamergate). And so today we find ourselves having moved from a situation where, over the 7th console generation, male-fronted games outnumbered female-fronted ones by a margin of 14 to 1 (https://web.archive.org/web/20130321064024/http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/games-with-female-heroes-dont-sell-because-publishers-dont-support-them) to a situation wherein the ratio in games announced in 2020 was almost equal and women today sometimes even actually make games and everything. The difference between a decade ago and today in female representation in gaming is night and day, seriously. Well, it's made a difference for me anyway, just in terms of like, ya know, feeling valued. All this on the one hand.

On the other hand, do I feel that people should be banned from forums simply for like disputing a claim of sexist elements in a game? No. I just said a bunch of good stuff about Anita Sarkeesian, but that doesn't mean I just reflexively agree with all her takes, even on this subject. She's argued for example that Mad Max: Fury Road and Wonder Woman are not feminist films because violence and mini-skirts and such. No. No, I'm gonna disagree with those sorts of frivolous, contrarian arguments, as do most feminists and most women in general who are familiar with these movies frankly, because I feel like they fail to see the forest for the trees, and I think that that actually exemplifies why people should be allowed to dispute these matters.

Anyway, your main point about the range of opinion though is well-taken and fair enough. I'm just elaborating on the other stuff because I can't fall asleep right now. Thankfully tomorrow's not a work day anyway, so it shouldn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 14 February 2021

Sega-16 and Atari Age are pretty awesome if you're into the retro scene. Nintendo Age used to be amazing, but... not so much, anymore.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Jaicee said:

Glad we're largely in agreement! As to the other stuff...

First of all, the comparison of forum bans to a movement that commonly advocates things like "state girlfriend programs" and has on a number of occasions conducted mass shootings and car attacks is still an absolutely terrible one, but I'll forgive it. That in the first place.

As to my feelings about addressing female representation in this medium, I'm of two minds on the subject:

On the one hand, I think it does matter. Before Anita Sarkeesian's Tropes vs. Women in Video Games series came out, I'd largely lost interest in gaming and wasn't even really keeping up anymore hardly. I probably...no actually I'll say certainly....wouldn't still be a gamer at all today if something didn't give because I'm telling you gaming culture as a whole was absolutely toxic and misogynistic by definition a decade ago and it had been getting noticeably worse over the preceding decade. The climate that yielded such outcomes was one where female-fronted games practically didn't exist and virtually all of them that did were like Bayonetta and Heavenly Sword and Lollipop Chainsaw and Barbie horseback riding games and well you get the picture, and wherein traditional damsel-in-distress were being "spiced up" with scenarios where you had to attack the damsel instead of rescuing her to keep things fresh and edgy and apparently no one could think of any other ways and it was all getting to be a little too impossible to ignore for me. Something had to give, at least for the sake of my psyche. And then along came this miraculous web video series that just said everything (well almost everything anyway) and well let's just say that I was there for Anita Sarkeesian. (Back then anyway, for that series. Not nearly as much nowadays, but that's another story.) Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I couldn't help but notice overlap between the time span of that series (2013-17) and a period wherein female game characters started becoming more numerous, more diverse in every way, more often playable, and generally less sexualized and also wherein frankly the gaming community matured a little (albeit with some growing pains...like Gamergate). And so today we find ourselves having moved from a situation where, over the 7th console generation, male-fronted games outnumbered female-fronted ones by a margin of 14 to 1 (https://web.archive.org/web/20130321064024/http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/games-with-female-heroes-dont-sell-because-publishers-dont-support-them) to a situation wherein the ratio in games announced in 2020 was almost equal and women today sometimes even actually make games and everything. The difference between a decade ago and today in female representation in gaming is night and day, seriously. Well, it's made a difference for me anyway, just in terms of like, ya know, feeling valued. All this on the one hand.

On the other hand, do I feel that people should be banned from forums simply for like disputing a claim of sexist elements in a game? No. I just said a bunch of good stuff about Anita Sarkeesian, but that doesn't mean I just reflexively agree with all her takes, even on this subject. She's argued for example that Mad Max: Fury Road and Wonder Woman are not feminist films because violence and mini-skirts and such. No. No, I'm gonna disagree with those sorts of frivolous, contrarian arguments, as do most feminists and most women in general who are familiar with these movies frankly, because I feel like they fail to see the forest for the trees, and I think that that actually exemplifies why people should be allowed to dispute these matters.

Anyway, your main point about the range of opinion though is well-taken and fair enough. I'm just elaborating on the other stuff because I can't fall asleep right now. Thankfully tomorrow's not a work day anyway, so it shouldn't come back to bite me in the ass.

I think I'll make my little contribution to this topic.

One problem about women representation in games is that this medium was born at the hands of men who didn't have any kind of feminine vision. So, as you said, all that there was for a long time were games made by men for men. But the thing is, that hasn't changed much in the past several decades, and I mean not even now, in spite of all these non-sexualized, female main characters that we're starting to see around more frequently. It's true that we've moved forward, but all this is still nothing more than a work in progress.

For instance (this is just anecdotal experience, but it's what I've got at hand), when I studied to be a game developer 3-4 years ago, there were only around 15-20% girls among all classes. If that proportion was carried over to employment, that means 80-85% of new crunched slaveshappy talents in this industry were boys, so in the end, even if there are more women making games nowadays, it's still far from being something common. Thus, the gaming industry still has a noticeable lack of feminine vision.

And that leads me to my next point: all this female (or black or homosexual, for that matter) representation in any cultural or artistic product, specifically video games in this case, has a double face, because the only or main reason why we see so much exposure in this industry (not only as characters in games, but also as spokespeople of companies, hosts or invitees to events, etc.) is that it means good PR.

So, on one hand, this gives room to a situation that is easily described using a comparison with a guy I met not too long ago: this guy mocked or criticized feminism in private conversations with other men; however, he used inclusive language on all his social media in order to look like a feminist/ally, just because doing that made it easier for him to have talks with girls and eventually get laid. Well, that's exactly what all these companies and organizations do: they make this effort to build a pro-women image only because they want more people to go to bed with them by buying their games, watching their events, etc.

On the other hand, however, this kind of exposure is good even if the reasons behind are not. It's like when the stigma of games being for children or immature men was still strong: at some point, all the big companies started to focus their marketing efforts on reaching a more mature audience first and a more widespread one later. But the only reason why companies did that was because they considered it good for their business, allowing them to cater to a lot more people and subsequently sell a lot more games.

The result of that, however, is that this stigma has almost entirely disappeared by now (there may be still a little in relation to Nintendo, but not to the industry in general), and that's also what could happen in the current situation of women exposure and feminism-friendly games: purely selfish actions that ultimately lead to positive changes (Machiavelli would be happy with this).

And that's also why I wouldn't care much if a black Joel was casted for the upcoming The Last of Us series, or if Zelda was the main character of The Legend of ¿Link?: Breath of the Wild 2, or if Master Chief was confirmed as gay in Halo Infinite. All these decisions would be pure self-interested PR material (and probably bad commercial ones in these particular cases), but all that exposure that they'd give might have a beneficial impact in like ten-twenty years. Until then, however, all this alleged equality in video games is highly artificial.

In any case, what actually matters isn't achieving a certain percentage of representation (50% women playing or making games is not necessarily better than 40 or 60, for instance); having a wide variety of visions and talent when creating games is what really matters. And more female players and therefore female developers coming naturally to this industry can effectively help a lot in that regard.

As an example of that, is there any game which directly addresses the question of feminism and has it as its main topic and focus? Because that would be an interesting game to play if done right, and I don't think there's nothing like that - basically because there's still no one to do it.

Anyway, this is just my take on this. As usual, all this can be wrong and argued. What cannot be argued by any means whatsoever is that I'm way too sleepy, so I'll stop writing here and go to bed.

Last edited by Verter - on 15 February 2021

I'm mostly a lurker now.

StuOhQ said:

Sega-16 and Atari Age are pretty awesome if you're into the retro scene. Nintendo Age used to be amazing, but... not so much, anymore.

Really interesting forums. It's a pity that this topic is not so popular now.

The only gaming communities I know that aren’t toxic are those where politics are strictly prohibited. And I am not aware of any major gaming site that explicitly bans politics. Just gaming sub forums of other sites.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.