By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What other gaming forums would you recommend?

Neogaf has improved drastically since all the trash left it. Don't know if it's good, but it's certainly better.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

Neogaf has improved drastically since all the trash left it. Don't know if it's good, but it's certainly better.

Visiting NeoGAF's Politics forum, I can imagine why someone like yourself would feel that way, considering that this is almost exclusively a list of topics prioritized by conservatives in general across the internet. Clicking on any given topic and looking at the up-vote counts that various sorts of posts receive therein confirms the reality of a heavy, heavy right-leaning opinion skew. The prevailing view there, for example, is that Trump impeachment trial is a "nothing burger" 'cause I mean nothing happened on January 6th, that Marjorie Taylor Greene is a more reasonable person than Joe Biden, that white privilege is totally made up because one random black guy on YouTube says so and it makes me feel better about myself, etc.

That's not to say that I couldn't necessarily get along as a moderate leftist in such an environment, as, matter-of-factly, I actually agree with the prevailing views I'm seeing on many topics there (such as...and...and...). My concern here would be how this heavy political skew might impact what games I'm allowed and not permitted to enjoy or discuss with anything other than disdain. I would be concerned about the potential consequences of, for example, saying anything good about The Last of Us Part II in such an environment. I would also be very seriously concerned about possibility of sexual harassment given that the forum owner/administrator seems to have an...interesting personal history in that regard and acts like it too by banning users for discussing sexual harassment in general.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 11 February 2021

Jaicee said:
Nautilus said:

Visiting NeoGAF's Politics forum, I can imagine why someone like yourself would feel that way, considering that this is almost exclusively a list of topics prioritized by conservatives in general across the internet. Clicking on any given topic and looking at the up-vote counts that various sorts of posts receive therein confirms the reality of a heavy, heavy right-leaning opinion skew. The prevailing view there, for example, is that Trump impeachment trial is a "nothing burger" 'cause I mean nothing happened on January 6th, that Marjorie Taylor Greene is a more reasonable person than Joe Biden, that white privilege is totally made up because one random black guy on YouTube says so and it makes me feel better about myself, etc.

That's not to say that I couldn't necessarily get along as a moderate leftist in such an environment, as, matter-of-factly, I actually agree with the prevailing views I'm seeing on many topics there (such as...and...and...). My concern here would be how this heavy political skew might impact what games I'm allowed and not permitted to enjoy or discuss with anything other than disdain. I would be concerned about the potential consequences of, for example, saying anything good about The Last of Us Part II in such an environment. I would also be very seriously concerned about possibility of sexual harassment given that the forum owner/administrator seems to have an...interesting personal history in that regard and acts like it too by banning users for discussing sexual harassment in general.

I was refering more to the fact that you aren't going to get banned over there for having a different view compared to the majority of users there. I mean, I do agree that their political view does favor them in my opinion, but compared to places like Resetera, in which you would get banned for just coghing the wrong way, it *seems*(and I emphasize on the seems) that you are free to post whatever you want, as long as you don"t break any rules.

Of course that, by being more pro left and everything that entails with it, you might have a harder time there, but at least you wont be silenced and kicked out because of that.

But like most people have said here already, there doesn't really seem that there is somehwre else quite like VGC, in which you have a plentora of different people from different places, and things are mostly respectful, outside of a user or other( or during elections. While not as ugly as other places, it was still a shitshow over here in my opinion).

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

So when neogaf split it polarized along political lines and where resetera drifted far to the left, neogaf itself went right?
That thread on Gina Carano is pretty yikes.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 February 2021

zero129 said:
Jaicee said:

Cats are cute in part because you don't always fully understand what's going through their minds and have fun guessing what it might be. It is the same with Rol.

Guess that explains why im more of a dog person xD .

Well Rol's Universe is the Nintendo Universe and who really understands that, now about cats they are cynical pricks who only put up with having us in their homes because they like maid service.

Post 4000 only took nearly 13 years.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 12 February 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

So when neogaf split it polarized along political lines and where resetera drifted far to the left, neogaf itself went right?

Nearest I can gather is this, which is based strictly on a collection of contemporaneous reports on the subject:

-NeoGAF traditionally had an image of being a politically left wing, social justice-y gaming forum that developers sometimes went to to get ideas about like how they could create better and more diverse representation in their games (apparently this happened as part of the creation of Overwatch, for example).

-Back in late 2017, which was during the roughly six-month height of the Me Too movement, NeoGAF had their own Me Too type of episode when an actress (Ima Leupp) came forward with a claim that the site owner (Tyler Malka, who goes by Evilore on the site) had tried to sexually assault her in the shower while she was drunk. There reportedly had already been rumors circulating about the site owner's exploitative relationships with other women for years before then, and members had been reportedly banned for unrelated attempts to discuss sexual harassment and violence, such as for writing that Playboy founder Hugh Hefner wasn't the feminist hero he was being portrayed as in the media following his death and for promoting the #BelieveWomen hashtag, for instance. Resultantly, there was already an aura of suspicion about Malka in the air, and so when Leupp came forward, it was seen as essentially confirmation of long-held suspicions by many of the site's users and the last straw.

-NeoGAF users -- the women with particular unanimity -- rebelled with waves of suicide threads (threads where the user goes out of their way to get themselves banned on purpose) and most of the NeoGAF staff resigned. The site went down for lack of adequate staffing. Some time later, NeoGAF was brought back online, but with a new stipulation: all political and "off-topic" discussions -- discussions of anything but video games -- were banned and the corresponding forums closed. Waves of suicide threads resumed immediately, this time cynically video game themed to mock Malka's transparently bad faith response to the situation (the screen captures from which are pretty great, incidentally).

-Many departing users got together on social medias and opted to create a new, replacement forum called ResetEra and that's how that board got started. ResetEra is basically old NeoGAF spiritually. To prevent a similar situation from happening again, ResetEra was founded as an LLC with no one site owner.

-The situation created a vacuum on NeoGAF that conservatives and anti-feminists around the gamerverse predictably seized upon with coordinated mass sign-ups aimed at full-scale population replacement. Political and other "off-topic" discussions were then resumed, now that the women (or, as Nautilus calls them, "the trash") were gone and a membership sufficiently sympathetic to sexual predators had been established in their wake. The NeoGAF you see today is the result.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 12 February 2021

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

Nearest I can gather is this, which is based strictly on a collection of contemporaneous reports on the subject:

-NeoGAF traditionally had an image of being a politically left wing, social justice-y gaming forum that developers sometimes went to to get ideas about like how they could create better and more diverse representation in their games (apparently this happened as part of the creation of Overwatch, for example).

-Back in late 2017, which was during the roughly six-month height of the Me Too movement, NeoGAF had their own Me Too type of episode when an actress (Ima Leupp) came forward with a claim that the site owner (Tyler Malka, who goes by Evilore on the site) had tried to sexually assault her in the shower while she was drunk. There reportedly had already been rumors circulating about the site owner's exploitative relationships with other women for years before then, and members had been reportedly banned for unrelated attempts to discuss sexual harassment and violence, such as for writing that Playboy founder Hugh Hefner wasn't the feminist hero he was being portrayed as in the media following his death and for promoting the #BelieveWomen hashtag, for instance. Resultantly, there was already an aura of suspicion about Malka in the air, and so when Leupp came forward, it was seen as essentially confirmation of long-held suspicions by many of the site's users and the last straw.

-NeoGAF users -- the women with particular unanimity -- rebelled with waves of suicide threads (threads where the user goes out of their way to get themselves banned on purpose) and most of the NeoGAF staff resigned. The site went down for lack of adequate staffing. Some time later, NeoGAF was brought back online, but with a new stipulation: all political and "off-topic" discussions -- discussions of anything but video games -- were banned and the corresponding forums closed. Waves of suicide threads resumed immediately, this time cynically video game themed to mock Malka's transparently bad faith response to the situation (the screen captures from which are pretty great, incidentally).

-Many departing users got together on social medias and opted to create a new, replacement forum called ResetEra and that's how that board got started. ResetEra is basically old NeoGAF spiritually. To prevent a similar situation from happening again, ResetEra was founded as an LLC with no one site owner.

-The situation created a vacuum on NeoGAF that conservatives and anti-feminists around the gamerverse predictably seized upon with coordinated mass sign-ups aimed at full-scale population replacement. Political and other "off-topic" discussions were then resumed, now that the women (or, as Nautilus calls them, "the trash") were gone and a membership sufficiently sympathetic to sexual predators had been established in their wake. The NeoGAF you see today is the result.

.... What? Where did this come from?

Why all political discussion has to end like this? *sigh*

That's why I usually don't like people who are more extreme-left oriented. Everything is perceived as an attack.

Just so that we are clear: The trash that I refer to is those same users that are now on Resetera that attack and try to silence everything that doesn't agree with them, the ones that call you names and think you should die if you support anything other than their tunnel-vision opinion. The stupidity and toxicity that is now know to be inside Resetera. It doesn't matter if that user is man or woman.

You people really need to take some vacations. Just because we have different perceptions on how politics should work, doesn't mean the other side is a monster. God. Who in their right mind would hate woman for just being woman?Or man, for just being man?

Ugh, another tainted thread. Really need to take a break from politics.

coolbeans said:
Jaicee said:

There are ban receipts viewable by non-members? Where can I find those? I'd be interested in knowing.

Just what I see filter through my twitter feed from Resetera Takes.  I don't follow him, nor care when it's more opinionated stabs at admins/mods/users there, but the ones that reach my feed are more goofy bans that give me relief in knowing I'm not uptight like these people.

My favorite ban over at resetera was someone getting permaban for saying this:

"I'm not defending CDPR, but JK Rowling is a person, CDPR is a group of people, can we really bunch them all together like that? just finding logic on why people can be more outraged."

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cdpr-is-a-transphobic-company-its-time-we-stop-making-excuses-for-them.307474/post-48641899

(post #42 if link don't work)

There was another fun ban, where a leftie got banned several months for making a comment that wasn't leftie enough :) but I can't find easy link to that one.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Nautilus said:

That's why I usually don't like people who are more extreme-left oriented. Everything is perceived as an attack.

Just so that we are clear: The trash that I refer to is those same users that are now on Resetera that attack and try to silence everything that doesn't agree with them, the ones that call you names and think you should die if you support anything other than their tunnel-vision opinion. The stupidity and toxicity that is now know to be inside Resetera. It doesn't matter if that user is man or woman.

You people really need to take some vacations. Just because we have different perceptions on how politics should work, doesn't mean the other side is a monster. God. Who in their right mind would hate woman for just being woman?Or man, for just being man?

The statement I was referencing was:

"Neogaf has improved drastically since all the trash left it. Don't know if it's good, but it's certainly better."

I pointed out who "the trash" was: people, most especially the women, protesting predatory behavior by the site owner. You then claim to be the victim of an unfair character attack.

Anyway, I've already said my peace about ResetEra. I mean I don't feel like I would realistically be welcomed there either. The difference is that ResetEra's viewpoint discriminations and often expansive definitions of hate (which yes, are fairly obvious when you simply look at their ban history, I agree) don't preclude me from agreeing with the founders' disapproval of Tyler "Evilore" Malka. I haven't suddenly become cool with predatory sexual behaviors and lifestyles and the silencing of critics thereof as a result of ResetEra being a less-than-open-minded place to be.

Issues like sexual assault are personal to me and tend to provoke strong visceral reactions. When you labeled those who spoke up and left in protest as "trash", it made me angry, honestly. It came off as an endorsement of sexual violence against women. You seem to believe that that's an unnatural and  hypersensitive way to feel about it. I don't know how to even respond to that.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 13 February 2021

Jaicee said:
Nautilus said:

The statement I was referencing was:

"Neogaf has improved drastically since all the trash left it. Don't know if it's good, but it's certainly better."

I pointed out who "the trash" was: people, most especially the women, protesting predatory behavior by the site owner. You then claim to be the victim of an unfair character attack.

Anyway, I've already said my peace about ResetEra. I mean I don't feel like I would realistically be welcomed there either. The difference is that ResetEra's viewpoint discriminations and often expansive definitions of hate (which yes, are fairly obvious when you simply look at their ban history, I agree) don't preclude me from agreeing with the founders' disapproval of Tyler "Evilore" Malka. I haven't suddenly become cool with predatory sexual behaviors and lifestyles and the silencing of critics thereof as a result of ResetEra being a less-than-open-minded place to be.

Issues like sexual assault are personal to me and tend to provoke strong visceral reactions. When you labeled those who spoke up and left in protest as "trash", it made me angry, honestly. It came off as an endorsement of sexual violence against women. You seem to believe that that's an unnatural and  hypersensitive way to feel about it. I don't know how to even respond to that. Perhaps I've just misunderstood your previous statement, but I don't see how.

And you were the one to assume that those trash are about the woman who were sexually harrashed, which I never mentioned anywhere in my post. Which was pretty clear if I have to say, that the trash refered to the toxic users that went on to Resetera, which is known to.... everyone. And you assumed that the users who left Neogaf for Resetera are mostly woman, which is also... wrong.

And the world isn't black and white Jaimee. And that's the problem with politics nowadays. The users who up and left Neogaf to form Resetera are trash and toxic, as you can well see how Resetera ended up becomming. However, it doesn't mean that I am cool with sexual harrashment, or that these same users that, while they are toxic and unhealthy to a community, can't be right about a certain topic or another.

Being against sexual harrashment of woman and men, and condoning the actions of the same users that once Neogaf a toxic place can be done at the same time, since you or anyone can be against both things. Both are different topics that can be approached and discussed on it's own.