By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What other gaming forums would you recommend?

Whatever you do, don't go to 8chan!

Around the Network

This is the only place I visit.

I still live on IRC. All by myself though lol. All people I know grown up and moved on.

zero129 said:

This site is the best your going to get out there trust me .

That's laughable 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

Dulfite said:

Whatever you do, don't go to 8chan!

Hadn't thought of hate-chan as a video game board.

Whelp, I'm liking VGR so far! It's an interesting place. I'd describe the gamer demography there as more, if you will, jockish than nerdy. Ya know, the main page is all about sports sims, Call of Duty, and various MMOs, that sorta thing, there's a dedicated eSports forum that's not really my bag personally, and conversely I haven't seen any discussion of Japanese child sexploitation games and I seem to be the only member who knows that Okami is available on the Switch and PlayStation 4. I'm probably among the very most obsessive and knowledgeable gamers there, whereas I think I might be in the bottom 50% here. There are lots of retro gamers there too and lots of fun "what's the best X in games?" type of threads like are common here. There are also lots of forum games and a whole, dedicated Member Interviews sub-forum where you can post an "Ask [Your Screen Name Here]" thread that functions like your own personal Q&A so people can get to know each other quickly and mess with each other and such.

Something else I've noticed about it is that I just don't see any real fights breaking out. There are disagreements, but things invariably stay civil. The mood is lighter. There's zero console warring I've seen as yet, for example, and political discussions don't seem to generate name-calling or bans ever. People joke around a lot. There's a somewhat more casual ambience I guess is what I'm getting at that seems to render the atmosphere more relaxed. *shrugs* Maybe that's just what I need and didn't realize it until now actually.

Demographically speaking, one-third of VGR members are female according to their member survey, and I've seen more than one besides myself around already. Their age survey suggests the age skew to be slightly younger than here, with the average contributor being between 25 and 30 (as compared with 32 here according to our member survey on the subject from last summer). But whereas I think I might be the oldest still-active contributor to VGC right now, there is one active user on VGR who's a year older than me (it's the awesome Satanist lady I mentioned in earlier post), so that helps me psychologically.

The mods have also quickly proven to be very helpful to me. For example, when I first joined, I accidentally included a typo in my screen name and the moderator who I talked to about it immediately contacted the administrator and the typo was removed just for me even though you're not supposed to be able to change screen names. So I had a positive impression right from the outset.

Long story short, I think this was the right choice and would recommend VGR to anyone who's looking for fun and relaxed gaming (and other, but mainly gaming) discussions. Seriously.

Around the Network

Well, VGR is trash.

I posted a harmless topic asking where the Switch ranked among Nintendo's systems for people, and got a very rude and unnecessarily hostile response from a mod who locked the topic and took issue with things such as me using "hastags" in the context of saying that it was my "#3 system to date".

Just another forum where psychotic mods are on a totalitarian power trip.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 January 2021

curl-6 said:

Well, VGR is trash.

I posted a harmless topic asking where the Switch ranked among Nintendo's systems for people, and got a very rude and unnecessarily hostile response from a mod who locked the topic and took issue with things such as me using "hastags" in the context of saying that it was my "#3 system to date".

I didn't see your post until you told me what to look for just now, but jeez, yeah, I see what you're saying: that was a pretty hyper-sensitive reply on the mod's part! I haven't run into any problems at all yet though for my part and I've been there five days. I think maybe it's just that you broke forum protocol by making a post like that first instead of first introducing yourself to the community. Still though.

Jaicee said:
curl-6 said:

Well, VGR is trash.

I didn't see your post until you told me what to look for just now, but jeez, yeah, I see what you're saying: that was a pretty hyper-sensitive reply on the mod's part! I haven't run into any problems at all yet though for my part and I've been there five days. I think maybe it's just that you broke forum protocol by making a post like that first instead of first introducing yourself to the community. Still though.

I didn't realize that was mandatory, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like it was a bit of an over-reaction on their part, thanks.

curl-6 said:

I didn't realize that was mandatory, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like it was a bit of an over-reaction on their part, thanks.

Yeah, it was way too judgmental a reply!

I shouldn't think it would be mandatory to formally introduce one's self. I haven't seen any rule to that effect. But just thinking of things I did differently to try and be of some help if I can. First thing I did was introduce myself. Then I responded to a bunch of existing topics, a few of which received a stray up-vote. Come to think of it, I haven't actually started a thread of my own yet aside from the all-purpose "Ask Jaicee" in the Member Interviews sub-forum. Maybe I should try it at this point. Will avoid making it a console-ranking thread for sure though! (Although honestly, I didn't think I've ever actually started such a thread here either, come to think of it.) Well anyway, only stuff I can think of.

RolStoppable said:

ResetEra is politically relaxed. I mean, where else can you find an official Nintendo General Discussion thread that headlines trans rights? Trans rights that concern games that aren't even announced for release on Switch.

I also like how Era members have pronouns displayed under their usernames. Jaicee, take this as advice from one man to another, don't sign up there.

...?