By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 3, 2021 (Jan 11- Jan 17)

Tagged games:

Last edited by HereWeGo - on 21 January 2021

Around the Network

Thank you for posting these numbers every week, Marth!

Switch sales are amazing, that's DS level of sales. As for the PS5, no matter if the low sales are due to shortages or lack of demand, the numbers are not good enough to be a viable platform for Japan-focused developers right now. Let's say sales pick up a bit and the PS5 sells 1.0 to 1.5 million units this year in Japan: That would make it very hard for Japanese devs to turn a profit. I expect many companies to try to support Playstation consoles for as long as possible, but the most likely outcome for the next few years is that many releases will be multiplatform (PS4/PS5/Switch at first and then just Switch and PS5) or even Switch exclusive, as the PS4 user base won't be viable beyond 2021.

And that might result in a noticeable shift in powers: Right now, Sony is under pressure from Microsoft with GamePass and their acquisitions in the West and from Nintendo's market dominance in Japan. In two years time, a decent number of popular western games could be exclusive to Microsoft, while a decent number of Japanese games could either be Switch exclusive or multiplatform instead of being exclusive to Playstation. 

Mnementh said:

Question: I calculate that MonHun Rise will hit week 13, is that right? I wonder how it will stack up in Switch hardware sales against last years release of AC in week 12.

EDIT: And BTW, when is golden week this year?

Apr 29~May 5 (or May 9 for some people)

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.

PS5 continues to trend well below the comparable week for the PS4 (https://www.gematsu.com/2014/04/media-create-sales-41414-42014)

PS4: 14,396 (Week ending April 20th 2014, PS5: 7,328 (Week ending January 17th)

Signature goes here!

y-koron said:
Mnementh said:

Question: I calculate that MonHun Rise will hit week 13, is that right? I wonder how it will stack up in Switch hardware sales against last years release of AC in week 12.

EDIT: And BTW, when is golden week this year?

Apr 29~May 5 (or May 9 for some people)

Thanks.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

That would be a hughe sign if Switch sales won't fall under 100k until 3D World arrives.

You can only assume how big the demand for Monster Hunter will be, if the Nintendo eshop already crashed after the release of the demo.

Wow! PS5 is dead... and i don't see this getting better unless there's more software announced which caters to Japanese players

Looks like Nintendo missed the memo that sales are supposed to go down after the holidays.

TruckOSaurus said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

He was correct - it's just a long climb, not a long fall...

At this rate, Switch will be at almost 1M for the year at the end of January already, which is absolutely bonkers.

Also Momotaro doesn't want to stop anytime soon. Still laughing about the predictions that the game will not get past 1M total due to first week sales.

PS5, on the other hand... I really hope it's just supply issues and not low demand, because with those sales numbers it's getting seriously trashed by the Wii U and the Vita in Japan of all things.

Yeah poor Rick was holding the chart upside down.

He read it too quick, Rick

It worked better in my head

If Momotaro Dentetsu keeps Rank#1 in next week ranking, it breaks the record of continuous 1st place in the chart.

If you need something about Japanese market from the perspective of Japanese, please contact me.