By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

You are wrong. It was a big leap in visuals. Genesis was considered back then a massive leap and SNES is more powerful overall than Genesis. When you can run arcade games it was damn impressive. You just proved it lol. The hardware was a big leap as were the games from NES to SNES. Plus you did not click one link. Otherwise, you wouldn't have posted how you did.

Last edited by Leynos - on 19 January 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

*fires random shots into the air* GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!!!!! We were talking about a possible Mario Kart 9 on Switch, not how big of a leap in power one system was over another.



CaptainExplosion said:

*fires random shots into the air* GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!!!!! We were talking about a possible Mario Kart 9 on Switch, not how big of a leap in power one system was over another.

But it is on topic in essence.  MK9 on the Switch is likely to be effectively the same game.  Might as well wait till the Switch 2 to really get that jump, and I don't mean just in graphics.  But increased processing power for increased course complexity.

As an example, Smash on the Wii versus Smash on the Switch.  For me, it is effectively the same game.  I don't see the need.  



Chrkeller said:
CaptainExplosion said:

*fires random shots into the air* GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!!!!! We were talking about a possible Mario Kart 9 on Switch, not how big of a leap in power one system was over another.

But it is on topic in essence.  MK9 on the Switch is likely to be effectively the same game.  Might as well wait till the Switch 2 to really get that jump, and I don't mean just in graphics.  But increased processing power for increased course complexity.

As an example, Smash on the Wii versus Smash on the Switch.  For me, it is effectively the same game.  I don't see the need.  

Fair enough point. *patching holes in the ceiling*



At this point I don't think MK9 will be coming to Switch. That's okay. MK8 DX is still selling very well. What really bothers me is the complete lack of any DLC for the game. I mean, there's so much potential here. They could do two DLC packs again. Add more 8-16 tracks. Add and bring back more characters from past games! I'll pay for it. There's so much that they could be doing with extra content for MK8 and yet they don't. That's the weird thing really.

In any case, this rumor is probably false. Comicbook is not a reliable source for rumors (or news) at all.



Around the Network

Why are so many people put off by the idea of another Nintendo developed kart racer? If they would release another Mario Kart in the same style, then sure, but there is no need to limit your minds like that. The Nintendo Switch has shown us time and time again that Nintendo is stepping up their game with some of their long running IP's. Besides that, Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 were able to co exist. DKR even had record breaking initial sales at the time.

It differentiated itself by having different types of vehicles, a hub world, boss races, coin challenges, progressive power ups, secret items, a secret world. It was an adventure. Currently, Mario Kart has none of that. It also baffles me that they never followed up on those ideas. Just imagine what sort of game we could have by now if each generation they would've improved on the DKR mechanics. 

A Nintendo Racers game in this style could be amazing. In DKR there were 5 different coloured balloons that served as power-ups. Red/Offensive, Blue/Speed, Green/Crowd Control, Yellow/Defensive and Rainbow/Magnet(?). If you grabbed another balloon with the same colour, it would become stronger. Red went from 1 missile, to a homing missile, to 10 missiles. Blue's speed boost increased with each extra balloon, with the third one being ridiculous. Now imagine a Nintendo roster, where each character has their own version of each power-up.

Link/Red could cycle through different arrow types, his Blue could start with carrots and end with the best sail from Wind Waker, his Rainbow could involve the hookshot while Samus/Rainbow uses the grappling hook and Luigi/Rainbow the suction from plotergust. Fox/Red can start with a single laser that shoots for x amount of times, to a double laser that shoots longer, to a smart bomb.

They could bring in jet skis for that wave race itch, sand buggies for drifting levels, drag cars for f-zero type tracks, drones for flying levels.

Challenge runs - Drift for x amount of time, have x amount of air time, block x amount of attacks, win the race without using power-ups, etc.

A huge hub world with its own races and secrets, where each franchise could get their own themed area, culminating in a boss race. All connected in a similar fashion as World of Light. A super baddy has merged all the different universes, watching from his X-Station.

This might move away from the Mario Kart 9 branding, but as seen from the DLC in 8, they are not afraid to take Mario Kart to a new universe. They also only started using numbers for 7 and 8, I don't think they will continue with it. Mario Kart has been the same since its initial release on the snes, tuned to perfection, now it's time to evolve. I am confident we'll see another Kart Racer from Nintendo, I don't think it'll be the same formula.



I think it makes alot of sense to open up the roster and maps to all Nintendo IP's. Rather or not it will happen, I can't say, but it does make alot of sense and would make me more likely to buy it, since I'm not a big Mario fan but do like some other Nintendo IP's.



shikamaru317 said:

I think it makes alot of sense to open up the roster and maps to all Nintendo IP's. 

 I think I like it that they are staying mostly exclusive to the Mario roster, so that usually sidelined or obscure characters get a chance to be part of the game. Link or Splatoon characters being in MK8 felt a bit off at first for me. 

For future installments they could bring brack some classic forgotten characters like Mouser, Wart and 90% of the SM RPG roster. 



anonymunchy said:

Why are so many people put off by the idea of another Nintendo developed kart racer? If they would release another Mario Kart in the same style, then sure, but there is no need to limit your minds like that. The Nintendo Switch has shown us time and time again that Nintendo is stepping up their game with some of their long running IP's. Besides that, Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 were able to co exist. DKR even had record breaking initial sales at the time.

It differentiated itself by having different types of vehicles, a hub world, boss races, coin challenges, progressive power ups, secret items, a secret world. It was an adventure. Currently, Mario Kart has none of that. It also baffles me that they never followed up on those ideas. Just imagine what sort of game we could have by now if each generation they would've improved on the DKR mechanics. 

A Nintendo Racers game in this style could be amazing. In DKR there were 5 different coloured balloons that served as power-ups. Red/Offensive, Blue/Speed, Green/Crowd Control, Yellow/Defensive and Rainbow/Magnet(?). If you grabbed another balloon with the same colour, it would become stronger. Red went from 1 missile, to a homing missile, to 10 missiles. Blue's speed boost increased with each extra balloon, with the third one being ridiculous. Now imagine a Nintendo roster, where each character has their own version of each power-up.

Link/Red could cycle through different arrow types, his Blue could start with carrots and end with the best sail from Wind Waker, his Rainbow could involve the hookshot while Samus/Rainbow uses the grappling hook and Luigi/Rainbow the suction from plotergust. Fox/Red can start with a single laser that shoots for x amount of times, to a double laser that shoots longer, to a smart bomb.

They could bring in jet skis for that wave race itch, sand buggies for drifting levels, drag cars for f-zero type tracks, drones for flying levels.

Challenge runs - Drift for x amount of time, have x amount of air time, block x amount of attacks, win the race without using power-ups, etc.

A huge hub world with its own races and secrets, where each franchise could get their own themed area, culminating in a boss race. All connected in a similar fashion as World of Light. A super baddy has merged all the different universes, watching from his X-Station.

This might move away from the Mario Kart 9 branding, but as seen from the DLC in 8, they are not afraid to take Mario Kart to a new universe. They also only started using numbers for 7 and 8, I don't think they will continue with it. Mario Kart has been the same since its initial release on the snes, tuned to perfection, now it's time to evolve. I am confident we'll see another Kart Racer from Nintendo, I don't think it'll be the same formula.

We're not opposed to another Nintendo developed kart racer, we just don't want Mario Kart being turned into Smash Bros. the Racing Edition, and we'd much rather they bring back Diddy Kong Racing and F-Zero.



Even as a Wii U owner who played MK8 back in 2014, I would rather MK9 be saved for Switch 2 and the team make something else in the meantime.

A new IP or a revival of a dormant one would be cool. It will soon be 4 years since ARMS so we should see their next project this year.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.