By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 9 Rumor

The "tires" rumor from last year turned out to be about Mario Kart Live, not MK9.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 January 2021

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
curl-6 said:

This rumor turned out to be about Mario Kart Live, not MK9.

Then why is this article from just three days ago? (Please don't let Mario Kart Live be a mainline Mario Kart game. -_-)

The "tires" rumor from last year referred to MKLive. This new rumor link just leads to 404 Page Not Found.

It's interesting, and the tackle/boost buttons are especially odd and not usually the kind of thing you'd see in a rumor like this. Not to say it gives it any more credibility, but it is that weird detail.

If it is true, I am totally fine with more Nintendo characters on the roster. That said, I really hope that if the tracks are based on Nintendo worlds, they still make them unique and distinct from each other. Tracks are by far the most important part of Mario Kart, so if they take a Smash Bros. approach and give us all kinds of different Nintendo series tracks, I really hope they don't follow that exactly and just go with the most basic "first area" stages they tend to go with in Smash. I can imagine them having a Mushroom Kingdom grassland, Hyrule Field, Gaur Plain, Green Greens, etc. and I just don't like the idea of all these samey track designs.

Another one.

MK9 is not happening anytime soon

Around the Network

turning mario kart into a sort of nintendo kart in everything but name (because mario kart is too big to change) seems like the logical progression the series would take imo after MK8/Deluxe introduced link, villager, inklings, and tracks from other franchises like f-zero, excite bike, etc so i'd love to see them go further into that, there's so much potential for characters & tracks like kirby, star fox, pikmin, etc.

but god I hope they don't waste Mario Kart 9 on the switch, it's not needed. I know it sucks for Wii U owners but the fact of the matter is most people see MK8D as a switch game, it is the switch's mario kart and with its sales they would basically just be competing with itself for no reason by releasing the next main installment on the same platform which they've never done before.

i'm praying that Nintendo was smart about this and has Mario Kart 9 as a switch successor launch title or something given how much more time they've had to develop it from not having to make a new one from scratch this gen

As long as they keep the previous set of characters then it should be fine. People will probably start getting mad when they see fire emblem characters in Mario Kart......

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I hope MK9 comes to Switch 2, personally. I don't need two MK games on the same system, and waiting for Switch 2 will allow it to be built around a more powerful system. Having two MK games on th same system feels redundant.

I think from The gamers perspective a new Mario Kart is overdue. But, from Nintendo's perspective, it's hard for me to see why they would release one right now. Mario Kart 8 deluxe is still selling very well. The only way I see it coming to Switch is if it's something like a launch title for a mid-gen upgrade.

That bank said, I certainly hope it's true. I'm disappointed that there isn't a new Mario Kart game on switch.

A new Diddy Kong Racing would make much more sense.