By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 9 Rumor

Dulfite said:
Metallox said:

Well, allow me to tell you, it's been more than six years since it first released. Maybe it's indeed time for a new one? 

What could a new MK do more than 8D on the Switch? Switch games look basically no different than Wii U ones, so I'm assuming power wise they are close. I can't see another MK on Switch looking better, or having larger race tracks, or more detailed backgrounds for those tracks, or performing better. Really the only thing they could do would be make 16-20 new maps. But that's not a new game that's just dlc in my mind. They should save new maps and features for their next gen game, where they can really push the boundaries and have larger maps, better visuals, improved performance, and more detailed backgrounds alongside new features.

It's important to note something. Power/Graphics Jumps between generations:

NES -- SNES, small

SNES -- N64, Big

N64 -- GameCube, Big

GameCube -- Wii, small

Wii -- Wii U, big

Wii U -- Switch, small

Gameboy -- GBC, small

GBC -- GBA, big

GBA -- DS, small

DS -- 3DS, big

Other than the GameCube, they have a history of doing two generations of hardware at more or less the same level of power and visuals. Because of this history, I expect Switch 2 to be a massive leap forward and therefore, MK9 would be a much different experience there than it would be on Switch 1.

I think hardware is the camp I am in.  MK8 is really fricking fantastic, I don't want just a meh MK9, the bar is really high.  I think it will take some new hardware to really push MK to another level.  Mostly in scope, size and complexity of levels.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

I hope MK9 comes to Switch 2, personally. I don't need two MK games on the same system, and waiting for Switch 2 will allow it to be built around a more powerful system. Having two MK games on th same system feels redundant.

Agree with this

Dulfite said:
Metallox said:

Well, allow me to tell you, it's been more than six years since it first released. Maybe it's indeed time for a new one? 

What could a new MK do more than 8D on the Switch? Switch games look basically no different than Wii U ones, so I'm assuming power wise they are close. I can't see another MK on Switch looking better, or having larger race tracks, or more detailed backgrounds for those tracks, or performing better. Really the only thing they could do would be make 16-20 new maps. But that's not a new game that's just dlc in my mind. They should save new maps and features for their next gen game, where they can really push the boundaries and have larger maps, better visuals, improved performance, and more detailed backgrounds alongside new features.

NES -- SNES, small

SNES -- N64, Big

N64 -- GameCube, Big

GameCube -- Wii, small

Wii -- Wii U, big

Wii U -- Switch, small

Gameboy -- GBC, small

GBC -- GBA, big

GBA -- DS, small

DS -- 3DS, big

Other than the GameCube, they have a history of doing two generations of hardware at more or less the same level of power and visuals. Because of this history, I expect Switch 2 to be a massive leap forward and therefore, MK9 would be a much different experience there than it would be on Switch 1.

NES to SNES was actually quite a large jump dude. SNES sound chip was a massive jump. Having 32000 color pallet up from 50. Mode 7. Parallax scrolling. FX chip for limited 3D capabilities. SNES could have several background layers and huge sprites. SNES was a big leap over NES.

The animation quality of Wonder Project

Or the intro of Metal Warriors

To the rendering of Rendering Ranger R2

To Starfox

to the soundchip like Tales of Phantasia with lyrics and singing

Square could also flex it well to sound like real instruments

SNES was a large leap over NES in every single way.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Dulfite said:

NES -- SNES, small

SNES -- N64, Big

N64 -- GameCube, Big

GameCube -- Wii, small

Wii -- Wii U, big

Wii U -- Switch, small

Gameboy -- GBC, small

GBC -- GBA, big

GBA -- DS, small

DS -- 3DS, big

NES to SNES was actually quite a large jump dude. SNES sound chip was a massive jump. Having 32000 color pallet up from 50. Mode 7. Parallax scrolling. FX chip for limited 3D capabilities. SNES could have several background layers and huge sprites. SNES was a big leap over NES.

The animation quality of Wonder Project

Or the intro of Metal Warriors

To the rendering of Rendering Ranger R2

To Starfox

to the soundchip like Tales of Phantasia with lyrics and singing

Square could also flex it well to sound like real instruments

SNES was a large leap over NES in every single way.

But compared to the big leaps I mentioned, the differences aren't as visible. Let's compare the Zelda's since that will enable us to see differences in the same game world of the same type of game and the same scope over the gens:

Nes - Epic! Started us off here!

SNES - While nicer looking, not that huge of a difference visually.

N64 - Oh wow, now we aren't above the player and are now able to see more of the world in INSANE more detail! Awesome!

GameCube - It's like N64 with a CRAZY amount more detail.

Wii - Epic art style, but not really that much different otherwise.

Wii U - THOSE COLORS, and LIGHTING, the details are crazy!

Switch - Amazing looking game, but not THAT much better than Windwaker HD.

You are wrong. It was a big leap in visuals. Genesis was considered back then a massive leap and SNES is more powerful overall than Genesis. When you can run arcade games it was damn impressive. You just proved it lol. The hardware was a big leap as were the games from NES to SNES. Plus you did not click one link. Otherwise, you wouldn't have posted how you did.

Last edited by Leynos - on 19 January 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

*fires random shots into the air* GET BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!!!!! We were talking about a possible Mario Kart 9 on Switch, not how big of a leap in power one system was over another.

But it is on topic in essence.  MK9 on the Switch is likely to be effectively the same game.  Might as well wait till the Switch 2 to really get that jump, and I don't mean just in graphics.  But increased processing power for increased course complexity.

As an example, Smash on the Wii versus Smash on the Switch.  For me, it is effectively the same game.  I don't see the need.  

At this point I don't think MK9 will be coming to Switch. That's okay. MK8 DX is still selling very well. What really bothers me is the complete lack of any DLC for the game. I mean, there's so much potential here. They could do two DLC packs again. Add more 8-16 tracks. Add and bring back more characters from past games! I'll pay for it. There's so much that they could be doing with extra content for MK8 and yet they don't. That's the weird thing really.

In any case, this rumor is probably false. Comicbook is not a reliable source for rumors (or news) at all.

Why are so many people put off by the idea of another Nintendo developed kart racer? If they would release another Mario Kart in the same style, then sure, but there is no need to limit your minds like that. The Nintendo Switch has shown us time and time again that Nintendo is stepping up their game with some of their long running IP's. Besides that, Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64 were able to co exist. DKR even had record breaking initial sales at the time.

It differentiated itself by having different types of vehicles, a hub world, boss races, coin challenges, progressive power ups, secret items, a secret world. It was an adventure. Currently, Mario Kart has none of that. It also baffles me that they never followed up on those ideas. Just imagine what sort of game we could have by now if each generation they would've improved on the DKR mechanics. 

A Nintendo Racers game in this style could be amazing. In DKR there were 5 different coloured balloons that served as power-ups. Red/Offensive, Blue/Speed, Green/Crowd Control, Yellow/Defensive and Rainbow/Magnet(?). If you grabbed another balloon with the same colour, it would become stronger. Red went from 1 missile, to a homing missile, to 10 missiles. Blue's speed boost increased with each extra balloon, with the third one being ridiculous. Now imagine a Nintendo roster, where each character has their own version of each power-up.

Link/Red could cycle through different arrow types, his Blue could start with carrots and end with the best sail from Wind Waker, his Rainbow could involve the hookshot while Samus/Rainbow uses the grappling hook and Luigi/Rainbow the suction from plotergust. Fox/Red can start with a single laser that shoots for x amount of times, to a double laser that shoots longer, to a smart bomb.

They could bring in jet skis for that wave race itch, sand buggies for drifting levels, drag cars for f-zero type tracks, drones for flying levels.

Challenge runs - Drift for x amount of time, have x amount of air time, block x amount of attacks, win the race without using power-ups, etc.

A huge hub world with its own races and secrets, where each franchise could get their own themed area, culminating in a boss race. All connected in a similar fashion as World of Light. A super baddy has merged all the different universes, watching from his X-Station.

This might move away from the Mario Kart 9 branding, but as seen from the DLC in 8, they are not afraid to take Mario Kart to a new universe. They also only started using numbers for 7 and 8, I don't think they will continue with it. Mario Kart has been the same since its initial release on the snes, tuned to perfection, now it's time to evolve. I am confident we'll see another Kart Racer from Nintendo, I don't think it'll be the same formula.

shikamaru317 said:

I think it makes alot of sense to open up the roster and maps to all Nintendo IP's. 

I think I like it that they are staying mostly exclusive to the Mario roster, so that usually sidelined or obscure characters get a chance to be part of the game. Link or Splatoon characters being in MK8 felt a bit off at first for me. 

For future installments they could bring brack some classic forgotten characters like Mouser, Wart and 90% of the SM RPG roster. 

Even as a Wii U owner who played MK8 back in 2014, I would rather MK9 be saved for Switch 2 and the team make something else in the meantime.

A new IP or a revival of a dormant one would be cool. It will soon be 4 years since ARMS so we should see their next project this year.