By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Have PS5 shipments fallen off a cliff?

So, they are doomed? Again?

Around the Network

Seems that way (same for Series X it seems too). I haven't seen either of them in stock at all into this new year.

Scalpers went one step beyond and bought the factories.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

sales2099 said:

Does seem like their initial record is becoming a gen over gen decline. Supply issues on both sides is concerning but this is great news.

And to explain myself, the supply constraint allows the consoles to compete on their games instead of PS5 pulling ahead purely on brand loyalty and little else. This way we can have a good old fashioned console war based on games. 

Do we believe that MS is not having as much manufacturing trouble as Sony?

I was wondering how Sony and Microsoft were able to not be disturbed in their production while Switch ran into some production issues. I guess they just didn't want to confirm it at the time but it does seem COVID had the same kind of impact on the next gen consoles as what Nintendo experienced.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 17 January 2021

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
sales2099 said:

Does seem like their initial record is becoming a gen over gen decline. Supply issues on both sides is concerning but this is great news.

And to explain myself, the supply constraint allows the consoles to compete on their games instead of PS5 pulling ahead purely on brand loyalty and little else. This way we can have a good old fashioned console war based on games. 

Do we believe that MS is not having as much manufacturing trouble as Sony?

But above all, if Phil will use this argument in PR statements, MS will have to pay sales2099 huge royalties!!!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

RolStoppable said:

During the past several years, CES used to be the place where Sony announced sales figures for their PS4. This year's CES came and went without Sony announcing any PS figures, so one has to ask if there has been nothing to brag about this year.

In December Sony announced that the PS5's launch was bigger than the PS4's (measured in a timeframe of the initial couple of weeks), but ZhugeEX recently tweeted that PS5 shipments have fallen slightly behind the ones of the PS4 over the timeframe from launch until the end of the year (November + December 2020 vs. November + December 2013). Sony's lack of announcement of new PS5 figures can be seen as backing this up. Similarly, the sell-through numbers we've seen from Japan and Spain point towards low shipments, although the possibility remains that other countries have been prioritized by Sony.

Nevertheless, it looks like Sony's original goal of having more PS5s available by the end of March than PS4s in the comparable launch-aligned timeframe has run into at least small problems, because we've yet to hit the point where initial PS5 demand has been satisfied.

There's not much to discuss here in particular, because this is first and foremost just an observation of the latest information that we either got or didn't get. Some controversy is needed to get something more going, so I'll throw this out:

Is Sony using Nintendo's strategy of artificial scarcity?

Yes. If there's scarcity, it must be artificial! No other possible explanations could hope to suffice!

GoOnKid said:

The PS5 will drop like a rock.

At least it'll be a cute rock.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 18 January 2021

No way, I hear it's set to beat the PS2! Everyone knows this! It was tracking above!

Everyone, stop thinking about the ps5 and finish playing your ps4 games.

shipments were definitely front loaded which is why it later fell behind ps4 sales in some regions after initially breaking its record,.