By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

This year it will have been 3-4 years since the last new game from Monolith Soft, the 3D Mario team, the core Zelda team, and the Mario Kart team. 

Since it's highly unlikely they started working on Switch 2 games back in 2018, it stands to reason there are still major first party games from the big EAD teams still coming this year.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

This year it will have been 3-4 years since the last new game from Monolith Soft, the 3D Mario team, the core Zelda team, and the Mario Kart team. 

Since it's highly unlikely they started working on Switch 2 games back in 2018, it stands to reason there are still major first party games from the big EAD teams still coming this year.

I want to bet Monolith definitely has something for this year. The idea makes me fly so high...

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Yeah, I don't know. The first 4 months of 2021 are looking pretty legit to me. SM3DW is getting some decent looking new content for it's Switch port, then we have Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter Rise, and New Pokemon Snap. Later this year we are looking at SMT V and Disgaea 6 (third party exclusives), plus Ys IX this summer. 

Beyond that, I think it's very unlikely that the 3D World port is all Nintendo has for us. Pretty much anything that was planned for Fall 2020 this time last year will certainly be out this year, we've probably got Q1 and 2 2021 games that will end up launching in the Fall, and I'm not convinced yet that we won't get BotW2 (cautiously optimistic).

The way I see it, our potential range is decent to exceptional for 2021. Only time will tell.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Based on Nintendo’s track record your worries are totally warranted. But this time I believe it will be different. I expect this year to be really good. We’ll see.

Oh yeah to give u a more positive comment, although I still criticize the library as a whole, in past generations 10do had to shift dev resources to their next console games. Im thinking the switch 2 will have dual releases/backwards compatibility w the switch and a similar architecture. So, I dont think ur particular issue will be too bad this time. Just speculation tho.

Around the Network

They did not release a lot of games in 2020. Just animal crossing... (Not counting second party stuff) So where are the other games ? I think we will see some new stuff this year.
Nintendo make mistakes but they usually don't make them twice. I see a lot of support for the switch even at the end. Ditching the Wii like they did was a big mistake. Now they have a financial guy as a president so I guess their game releases are more planned.
And if Switch is really a plateform, Switch games will be compatible with the next switch, so I will not worry about game release and game schedule.

Please support planet earth with ecosia and support me by visiting my website

In recent times we've seen:

- Age of Calamity revealed 2 and a half months from release

- New Pokemon Snap dated 3 and half months out

- Mario Kart Live revealed a month and a half from release

- Paper Mario Origami King revealed 2 months out

Yeah, it's annoying the way they do this, but it does mean ruling out the next two years in advance is kinda pointless. 

2023 might indeed be a bit sparse as they gear up for Switch 2, but at this point I see no sign that this year and next will be weak.

I get the sentiment OP, but I don't think this year will be as dry as you think. Here is an example. The Mario Kart team has been very consistent will releasing a game every 3 years. Mario Kart DS in 2005, Mario Kart Wii in 2008, Mario Kart 7 in 2011, Mario Kart 8 in 2014, and ARMS in 2017. 2020 probably would have seen a new game from them, be it Mario kart 9 or an ARMS 2. But COVID delays and whatnot, the game was likely pushed back to 2021. We haven't see anything from the guys that make 3D Mario (the Tokyo branch) and there was also a tease of something for Splatoon in 2020. There may be more. The point I'm making is there will clearly be more games on the Switch. The recent news drought is likely due to A)Nintendo holding stuff for a Swtich Pro reveal and B)Nintendo being so retarded when it comes to announcing games that they somehow have the exact opposite problem Sony has. 

Agente42 said:

Rumors

New SKU ( more powerful maybe with DLSS)

One Mario 2D

One Monolith project

One open world Retro Project. 

A new 3d Mario.

Gonna need a source on that one since as far as I've seen, they are pretty much just working on Metroid Prime. 

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Cerebralbore101 said:
Agente42 said:

And the habitual Nintendo is doomed weakly post.

The facts?

Japan 2021, until now is better than in 2020(two weeks, i know).

MH Rise and thousand of the third party

Nintendo always tends to make a secret about your own projects.

We  know

BotW2

Pokemon Snap

Bowser Fury

Metroid Prime 4

Bayonetta 3

Rumors

New SKU ( more powerful maybe with DLSS)

One Mario 2D

One Monolith project

One open world Retro Project. 

A new 3d Mario.

Missing

Tomodachi

Switch Sports

Pokemon Remake

Pokemon NEW Gen

New DK

NEW 3D DK

The Weakness?

Nintendo don't have two ( or three) pipeline production at the same time ( Wii 2011 i m looking for you)

Nintendo unified the portable and stationary teams

Monolith and Retro have grown on the staff( maybe multiple projects?)

Next Level Games now is Nintendo

Yes, obviously 3rd party will be great this year. I wasn't referring to 3rd party being anemic, but rather the possibility of Nintendo's 1st party content being weak this year, and every year until Nintendo releases Switch 2.

3rd party for 2021 will very clearly be...

SMTV
Ryza 2
Bravely Default II
No More Heroes III
Monster Hunter Rise
Persona 5 Strikers
Disgaea 6
World Ends With You Sequel
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Ys IX Monstrum Nox

IMO that's an insane year for 3rd party games. Many of them will be exclusives or semi-exclusive.

As far as 1st party goes, I'm afraid. Very afraid. I'm starting to think that BotW2 will get delayed into 2022 along with Bayo 3 being massively delayed. Possibly even into 2023 for Bayo 3.

I remain hopeful for Poke'mon Snap, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Prime 4 obviously isn't coming in 2021, let alone 2022.

P.S. Nintendo is anything but doomed. Switch will very easily sell 110+ million units lifetime. I'm just over here afraid that there is a very real possibility of Nintendo borderline abandoning the system 1st party wise.

According to reviews Snap is great! Now Nintendo just needs to release BotW2, and something else they've had in the oven for a while. 

SKMBlake said:
Illusion said:

The big difference between the Switches 2021 and the Wii's 2011 and the Gamecube's 2005, is that we have no information on new hardware coming from Nintendo or even a rumored codename at this point. 

Pretty much this.

And Switch is still in its 3rd year, 4th year won't start until 2 months from now

In March 2021 the 5th year of the Switch started, not the 4th.