By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

Doctor_MG said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Well I'm starting to think that. I'm afraid that, that is the shitty times we live in. I want to hope that Nintendo has amazing output for 2021. But I just have this deep seated fear that Nintendo is just going to blow it this year. I want to be wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

Quality is subjective, but that doesn't make it irrelevant to the conversation. Without taking quality into account almost every system ever made was amazing with a high amount of games released for it. I mean, if somebody were to toss quality out the window, then 3DO can be said to be a good system since it got 200 games released to it.

I didn't say you can't take into account quality, but you are suggesting games aren't a topic of discussion because you may not be personally interested in them. I mean, I could say that PS5's catalog will look like:

2021:

-Ratchet and Clank 
-God of War

Then I could state "well, those are the only games I'm interested in", but that isn't a good defense for not listing Destruction All Stars, Horizon: Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, or anything else they may have. There is more to it than individual interest. Wii's 2011 and 2012 were objectively awful with regards to first party output, and youre attempting to suggest the Switch will be equally as bad despite their worst year so far being better than both those years combined with regard to output. 

Again, listing the games and then accounting for quality and preference is one thing. Pretending they don't exist entirely is another. 

If Destruction All Stars, Gran Turismo 7, and Returnal get 80/100 review scores on average or better, then you can bet your ass I'll list them. I definitely see the possibility of those games being great, but I'm not a fan of counting my chickens before they hatch. As far as Horizon 2 goes, that should be listed solely on the fact that the first game got 89/100 review scores on average.

I'm interested in almost all games so long as they're great games. It's just that, once review scores come out, and I read reviews, I often decide that a certain game isn't worth buying. For example: I'm cautiously optimistic about New Poke'mon Snap. Just like how, I was cautiously optimistic about Mario Tennis Aces. But for both games I'm going to wait for reviews. Why? Because both of these games are/were things that I'm interested in, but I don't see them as a  guaranteed great game. 

Edit: What I'm trying to say here is that there are very few games that I'm personally not interested in. So long as a game doesn't have egregious MTX in it, gets great reviews (around 80% on Opencritic), and isn't a bland sports or sim title, I'm going to be interested in it. Hell, there's even sim titles that I'm still interested in. And I'm not trying to pretend that games don't exist if they get below a certain threshold review wise. I'm just trying to say that every year has games like that. IMO it's not those games that the year is remembered for. Hell, I'm pretty sure that 2017 saw the fewest 1st party releases for Switch so far, yet IMO 2017 was an insanely awesome year, because of the sheer quality of the 1st party games that we did get.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 January 2021

Around the Network

I dont know why it takes some of us so long to realize it, but it may have come time for u to realize 10do just isnt that cool a developer/publisher anymore. Switch had a strong start, but I think the gamecube days of 2 metroids, 2 zeldas, a sandbox mario, 2 3d mario spinoffs with their own unique charm, fresh gamercentric ip and an adventure style star fox are long gone. I found myself enamored w switch in year 1 because of mario, zelda and, to a much lesser extent, xenoblade and rabbids. but after that it just became a party console. Id recommend looking at 10do as a supplemental system if ur still really into gaming. Switch is a great handheld w all the indie games available. As far as a home conaole tho, its strictly better than its last 2 predacessors. Abandon 10do hope. In my experience, its more peaceful without it.

CarcharodonKraz said:

I dont know why it takes some of us so long to realize it, but it may have come time for u to realize 10do just isnt that cool a developer/publisher anymore. Switch had a strong start, but I think the gamecube days of 2 metroids, 2 zeldas, a sandbox mario, 2 3d mario spinoffs with their own unique charm, fresh gamercentric ip and an adventure style star fox are long gone. I found myself enamored w switch in year 1 because of mario, zelda and, to a much lesser extent, xenoblade and rabbids. but after that it just became a party console. Id recommend looking at 10do as a supplemental system if ur still really into gaming. Switch is a great handheld w all the indie games available. As far as a home conaole tho, its strictly better than its last 2 predacessors. Abandon 10do hope. In my experience, its more peaceful without it.

10do?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Are you counting ad 1st party only games Nintendo itself produced or any game developed by any studios using Nintendo IPs

Pokemon will always have some spin offs, Detectice Pikachu is confirmed, so is Snap and maybe we are getting Pokemon Ranger too (the first sold almost 3 million on DS). The IP is as hot as ever, and Nintendo likes to exploit their fandom. 4th gen remakes are coming and next gen also coming before Game Freak drops the Switch

Animal Crossing and Splatoon spin offs also kinda looks almost inevitable at this point

And Mario... well it's Mario. Can you really recall the last year of Nintendo existence where no Mario-related game ever come out? I guess it's kinda of a nature force now, as certain as the existence of day and night there will be a Mario-related game to come out sooner than later

A new Zelda, a new Metroid... IDK, I can't see your scenario happening. Maybe in 2023, but 2021 and 2022? Considering how week was 2020 baseline for Nintendo not released those games in the next 2 years means they kinda stopped making new games by 2019

CarcharodonKraz said:

They may not have had a great first party game since 2017, but the Switch has still earned its keep as my primary console since then with the likes of Witcher 3, Hellblade, Doom Eternal, Ori, Wolfenstein II, Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair, Age of Calamity, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
CarcharodonKraz said:

They may not have had a great first party game since 2017, but the Switch has still earned its keep as my primary console since then with the likes of Witcher 3, Hellblade, Doom Eternal, Ori, Wolfenstein II, Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair, Age of Calamity, Luigi's Mansion 3, etc.

Same. Switch has basically shared equal time with my PS4 thanks to all the Indies it gets. If I only had a Switch to game on, I'd be able to find more than enough to play.

Cerebralbore101 said:
curl-6 said:

Same. Switch has basically shared equal time with my PS4 thanks to all the Indies it gets. If I only had a Switch to game on, I'd be able to find more than enough to play.

Typically,  I keep my consoles disconnected from the internet, dont really dig indies, and if im grabbing an older game, its typically better looking and cheaper on the ps4. All that being said, genuinely happy its working out so well for u guys. Curl, calamity was pretty sweet. Wish the 1st botw had a story that big. Hope the next ones good.

At least, if the OP tries to make a point that seems to retain a semblance of objectivity, it might be a good idea to not simply opt out games arbitrarely based on a Metacritic score.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

This year it will have been 3-4 years since the last new game from Monolith Soft, the 3D Mario team, the core Zelda team, and the Mario Kart team. 

Since it's highly unlikely they started working on Switch 2 games back in 2018, it stands to reason there are still major first party games from the big EAD teams still coming this year.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

This year it will have been 3-4 years since the last new game from Monolith Soft, the 3D Mario team, the core Zelda team, and the Mario Kart team. 

Since it's highly unlikely they started working on Switch 2 games back in 2018, it stands to reason there are still major first party games from the big EAD teams still coming this year.

I want to bet Monolith definitely has something for this year. The idea makes me fly so high...

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.