By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Four to five high quality hitters beats lazy ports, non-games like Mario Kart AR, and C tier releases like Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario.

Also, obviously Nintendo would have more than that in those years. I kept it to the good stuff that is worth buying.

See the issue here is, you're modelling this thread after your personal play pattern. Which is fine, but then it just makes it odd that you exclude third party games, third party exclusives, and indie games because we know you will probably be playing those (hell, some of those bigger indie games are even console-launch exclusives to the Switch). Again: The title of the thread is not what the topic is actually about. You're just talking about EPD, which is fine, but not the entire picture of a console's year. 

Yeah, I've been meaning to respond to that. The title of the thread and the OP are not contradictory. The title does fail to summarize my position though. I guess I should have called it "Hey you guys, I'm really worried that the quality of Nintendo's first party output will drop drastically for the final 3 years of the Switch's life cycle. I'm starting to think that they will only have 2 quality 1st party titles a year for the rest of Switch life cycle." But that would have been too damned long. There's lots of books out there where the title doesn't properly summarize the book as well. It just happens. I hoped that people would read the OP, and understand my position but some people in this thread clearly skimmed over it. Others on the other hand have offered up good rebuttals (most of which I haven't responded to because they make good cases, and I desperately want to be proved wrong by Nintendo).

P.S. I know full well that Switch is going to have an insane year with 3rd party content. Both in terms of quality and in terms of sales. I guess I should have made that clearer in my OP. But I always have this trouble predicting how my posts will be interpreted. I feel like I'm saying Pizza is good, and then people come out with "So you think all Italian food is superior to Chinese food huh?".

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 January 2021

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

See the issue here is, you're modelling this thread after your personal play pattern. Which is fine, but then it just makes it odd that you exclude third party games, third party exclusives, and indie games because we know you will probably be playing those (hell, some of those bigger indie games are even console-launch exclusives to the Switch). Again: The title of the thread is not what the topic is actually about. You're just talking about EPD, which is fine, but not the entire picture of a console's year. 

Yeah, I've been meaning to respond to that. The title of the thread and the OP are not contradictory. The title does fail to summarize my position though. I guess I should have called it "Hey you guys, I'm really worried that the quality of Nintendo's first party output will drop drastically for the final 3 years of the Switch's life cycle. I'm starting to think that they will only have 2 quality 1st party titles a year for the rest of Switch life cycle." But that would have been too damned long. There's lots of books out there where the title doesn't properly summarize the book as well. It just happens. I hoped that people would read the OP, and understand my position but some people in this thread clearly skimmed over it. Others on the other hand have offered up good rebuttals (most of which I haven't responded to because they make good cases, and I desperately want to be proved wrong by Nintendo).

P.S. I know full well that Switch is going to have an insane year with 3rd party content. Both in terms of quality and in terms of sales. I guess I should have made that clearer in my OP. But I always have this trouble predicting how my posts will be interpreted. I feel like I'm saying Pizza is good, and then people come out with "So you think all Italian food is superior to Chinese food huh?".

It's really not that hard. All you had to title it was "I think EPD won't release many notable games in the next few years". 

I mean honestly, even then you'd get criticism because there's not that much to support the theory, but it at least would make more sense as a thread. It doesn't help that you included stuff like Bayonetta 3 or New Pokemon Snap, either, because those aren't games made by Nintendo, they're just games Nintendo funds. So there's already a bit of contradiction between parts of the OP. I know you kind of address it, but you didn't actually excuse it, you just mentioned it was the case. I think if we include games like that, stuff like Feel-Good games (I have a feeling they might release another one) or mainline Pokemons have no reason to not be listed. In fact, a lot of Nintendo's late support of their systems is third party developed games that fall under Nintendo IP, like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, and Kirby. So not including stuff like that but including Bayonetta 3 or New Pokemon Snap is just ... weird ... unless you actually think those won't release. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

And here's my not so pessimistic timetable. I think this one is less likely, but this is the sort of timetable I would prefer Nintendo to have for 2021-2023 first party game development.

1st Half of 2021

3D World + Bowser's Fury (With Bowser's Fury being a 20 hour long adventure).
Poke'mon Snap 2 (Winds up getting 80 to 90 on average on opencritic. Winds up being three times the length of the original Poke'mon Snap.)

2nd Half of 2021

BotW2
Bayo 3
Diamond/Pearl Remakes (With a large portion of the OU Smogon Bracket brought back. All Diamond/Pearl Poke's are now usable in Sword/Shield.)

1st Half of 2022

A new game from Monolithsoft
A remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons

2nd Half of 2022

Odyssey 2
A New Fire Emblem Game
A new game from Next Level Games

1st Half of 2023

Metroid Prime 4

2nd Half of 2023

Mario Kart 9
Splatoon 3 or something else from  the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team.
An entirely new Poke'mon game.

Launch Switch 2

Edit: Oh and in between all these big releases, give us ports of Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I think you are confusing 'Nintendo isn't releasing anything first party' with 'Nintendo isn't releasing anything first party that I want to buy '. Assumptions that Nintendo is only going to release 2-3 games per year make no sense otherwise, because Nintendo has always released more than that even in their slowest years. Yeah, that might be the number of big name projects, but they always do mid and small-tier games also. 

LOL was wondering when one of these threads would pop up again...

Cerebralbore101 said:

Well I'm starting to think that. I'm afraid that, that is the shitty times we live in. I want to hope that Nintendo has amazing output for 2021. But I just have this deep seated fear that Nintendo is just going to blow it this year. I want to be wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

Quality is subjective, but that doesn't make it irrelevant to the conversation. Without taking quality into account almost every system ever made was amazing with a high amount of games released for it. I mean, if somebody were to toss quality out the window, then 3DO can be said to be a good system since it got 200 games released to it.

I didn't say you can't take into account quality, but you are suggesting games aren't a topic of discussion because you may not be personally interested in them. I mean, I could say that PS5's catalog will look like:

2021:

-Ratchet and Clank 
-God of War

Then I could state "well, those are the only games I'm interested in", but that isn't a good defense for not listing Destruction All Stars, Horizon: Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, or anything else they may have. There is more to it than individual interest. Wii's 2011 and 2012 were objectively awful with regards to first party output, and youre attempting to suggest the Switch will be equally as bad despite their worst year so far being better than both those years combined with regard to output. 

Again, listing the games and then accounting for quality and preference is one thing. Pretending they don't exist entirely is another. 

Around the Network

Record sales and Nintendo is still Doomed....

only thing missing now is the legendary Cliff. :)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I also think 2020 was the peak year but there's no way 2021, 2022 are gonna be like the final years of the Wii, it's gonna be a very slow decline from here unless they decide to announce the Switch 2 early.

I know... my English sucks.

Naum said:

But the Cliff do exist !

It’s just that nobody specified it would upward instead of downward.

Well, the Wii's final years were weak in terms of 1st party content mainly because Nintendo had to focus on saving supporting the 3DS, while the Switch is the only platform Nintendo has to support now, so it isn't in a similar situation. On the other hand, the Wii U and the Gamecube were basically undesirable platforms for the general public, so it wasn't worth it for Nintendo to keep spending money on them during their final years. The Switch evidently isn't in that situation neither.

Naum said:

The cliff never gets old :D

It will happen though! Source:

Spoiler!
Dude, trust me.