By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

2021 will be nothing short of amazing for the Switch. Hell, even as it is, at least the first months are amazing.

Around the Network

I think 2021 will be a great year for the Switch (as indicated by the first few months lineup), especially if Switch+ coming out.

In the second half of the year, we can count on:
- SMT V
- BotW 2
- Bayo 3
- new Pokemon RPG or remake
- Splatoon 3
- Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD colection
- new Mario Party

And even if some of these games are postponed to 2022, lineup will still be strong.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Rescue Mission got bad reviews. Paper Mario only got 78/100 on Opencritic. All stars contains nothing new. If Nintendo was smart they'd already have a sizable chunk of their Gamecube/Wii library on the Switch eShop for purchase. Pikmin 3 is a 7 year old game. If you're going to talk about MKLive then talk about Labo from 2018.

Your statements has nothing to do with what I said. I can go the same way.

Rescue Mission is a Pokémon Game, Paper Mario released in summer, All stars in on cartridge, Pikmin is the 3rd episode. If you wanna talk about Labo, then talk about Resident Evil 4 remake.

See ?

Cerebralbore101 said:

If you're going to talk about MKLive then talk about Labo from 2018.

Well, I did

Dulfite said:
freebs2 said:

Nintendo already had a shit year in 2020 (no, I don't care for sales, nor I do care for Animal Crossing). 2018 has been already a mixed bag, with SSB Ultimate the only major release I cared about.
If they don't bring anything worthwile in 2021 I may as well abandon them. They have only a single pantform now and it's selling like crazy, they literally have no excuses for not supporting it.

Nintendo Exclusives:

Bayo 1&2 Ports

Kirby Star Allies

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (3DS content + Wii U content)

Nintendo Labo

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Port

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Octopath Traveler

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Port + new content

Go Vacation

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna DLC

Super Mario Party

Pokemon Let's Go

Smash Ultimate

So 14 total exclusives (Minus Bayo 1), 4 of which were ports from Wii U/3DS and 1 was a major DLC.

Fitness Boxing

New Super Mario Bros. U Delux

Yoshi's Crafted World

Super Mario Maker 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Tetris 99

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Link's Awakening Remake

Luigi's Mansion 3

Ring Fit Adventure

Pokemon Sword/Shield

13 total exclusives, 1 of which was a port. Much better year for new content, but same overall output roughly.

Brain Training

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore port

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition port

Clubhouse Games: 51

Paper Mario The Oragami King

Super Mario 3D All Stars

Pikmin 3 Delux port

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Fitness Boxing 2

11 exclusives with 2 ports and 2 games that are older games remastered. 

Was this supposed to make me change my mind? Beacuse it didn't. Also I don't comment 2019, because that year was good. Now, I always considered Nintendo the best publisher and best 1st party out there. But now if years like 2020 (and partially 2018) mostly made of ports, remakes with little changes, spin offs and low effort releases are considered good by its fanbase, I'm starting to question this.

freebs2 said:
Dulfite said:

Nintendo Exclusives:

Bayo 1&2 Ports

Kirby Star Allies

Nintendo Labo

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Octopath Traveler

Go Vacation

Super Mario Party

Pokemon Let's Go

Smash Ultimate

So 14 total exclusives (Minus Bayo 1), 4 of which were ports from Wii U/3DS and 1 was a major DLC.

Fitness Boxing

Yoshi's Crafted World

Super Mario Maker 2

Tetris 99

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Link's Awakening Remake

Luigi's Mansion 3

Ring Fit Adventure

Pokemon Sword/Shield

13 total exclusives, 1 of which was a port. Much better year for new content, but same overall output roughly.

Brain Training

Super Mario 3D All Stars

Pikmin 3 Delux port

Fitness Boxing 2

Was this supposed to make me change my mind? Beacuse it didn't. Also I don't comment 2019, because that year was good. Now, I always considered Nintendo the best publisher and best 1st party out there. But now if years like 2020 (and partially 2018) mostly made of ports, remakes with little changes, spin offs and low effort releases are considered good by its fanbase, I'm starting to question this.

Isn't this a little contradictory? part of 2018 was not good.... 2019 That was good.... 2020 not good.... so if 2019 was good, that should have already eradicated the part of 2018 from not being good. They are the best 1st Party company out there but they need to make the most of things and if an IP suffered because of a poor console performance it is good to re-release it for the mass to enjoy it. Wait till the end of 2021 to make the decision if they are no longer the best 1st party publisher that exist. you will be surprised.

Switch!!!

Around the Network
fedfed said:
freebs2 said:

Isn't this a little contradictory? part of 2018 was not good.... 2019 That was good.... 2020 not good.... so if 2019 was good, that should have already eradicated the part of 2018 from not being good. They are the best 1st Party company out there but they need to make the most of things and if an IP suffered because of a poor console performance it is good to re-release it for the mass to enjoy it. Wait till the end of 2021 to make the decision if they are no longer the best 1st party publisher that exist. you will be surprised.

Considering the first e foremost reason to buy a Nintendo consoles are Nintendo games, pardon me if having one good year out of two is not good enough...considering, as I said periously, they are supporting just a single console now. Also, I perfectly understand their reason for publishing basically all WiiU library on the Switch as well as I understand they didn't care very much for WiiU owners (a minority but a devoted one). Mario 3D World is a very good game but I've played it in 2013, we are in 2021.

That said, as I stated in my original post, yes it's all about 2021. If they can convince with games that were worthwile the wait, fine. If not, I'll find hard to justify buying their next system...it's not like there aren't alternatives out there.

Monolith Soft new game is coming this year according to a leaker on resetera.

Nope, I don't think so. At least 2021 should be a very good year for Nintendo again. The first numbers from Japan indicate that and I'm pretty sure that BOTW 2 will also be released this year, since it's Zeldas 35th anniversary and also the new Horizon for PS5 is confirmed for this year (Zero Dawn launchend simultaneously with BOTW).

Nintendo has only one platform they have to make games for. So it isn't comparable with Wii/DS/3DS/WiiU/ or GameCube/GBA. I don't expect big first party releases in Switch's last year before the successor launches, but this is not the case anytime soon.

Doug Bowser also said that Switch has entered its midlife cycle, so I don't think Nintendo will abandon the Switch soon. I hope they learned their lessons from Wii/WiiU and support their console a bit longer than usual, because they don't know if a successor will be successful. I see a successor coming in 2024, which is still a long time ahead. Until 2023 we should see good first and third party support. 2020 was a bit special, because they couldn't produce enough hardware, so they didn't have to release many games.

freebs2 said:
Dulfite said:

Nintendo Exclusives:

Bayo 1&2 Ports

Kirby Star Allies

Nintendo Labo

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Octopath Traveler

Go Vacation

Super Mario Party

Pokemon Let's Go

Smash Ultimate

Fitness Boxing

Yoshi's Crafted World

Super Mario Maker 2

Tetris 99

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Link's Awakening Remake

Luigi's Mansion 3

Ring Fit Adventure

Pokemon Sword/Shield

Brain Training

Super Mario 3D All Stars

Pikmin 3 Delux port

Fitness Boxing 2

I thought it would be helpful, one way or the other, for people to see exclusives from those years.

I can see 3rd party AAA home console games dropping due to low RAM and low CPU and GPU power for latest gen, followed later by 3rd part AA ones just due to low RAM, but less power and RAM hungry home games will support NS till the end, and every portable console games will do, NS has become monopolist of that market. As for 1st party, both home and portable oriented, a cycle alternating one rich year and one less rich makes sense, Ninty is the console maker with the widest 1st party, but its resources aren't infinite, and having to allocate enough dev teams for the periods when maximum growth or maximun momentum are needed, naturally creates a periodic trend of large and little release numbers, as typical major games development takes not less than two years.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!