By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

Monolith Soft new game is coming this year according to a leaker on resetera.

Around the Network

Nope, I don't think so. At least 2021 should be a very good year for Nintendo again. The first numbers from Japan indicate that and I'm pretty sure that BOTW 2 will also be released this year, since it's Zeldas 35th anniversary and also the new Horizon for PS5 is confirmed for this year (Zero Dawn launchend simultaneously with BOTW).

Nintendo has only one platform they have to make games for. So it isn't comparable with Wii/DS/3DS/WiiU/ or GameCube/GBA. I don't expect big first party releases in Switch's last year before the successor launches, but this is not the case anytime soon.

Doug Bowser also said that Switch has entered its midlife cycle, so I don't think Nintendo will abandon the Switch soon. I hope they learned their lessons from Wii/WiiU and support their console a bit longer than usual, because they don't know if a successor will be successful. I see a successor coming in 2024, which is still a long time ahead. Until 2023 we should see good first and third party support. 2020 was a bit special, because they couldn't produce enough hardware, so they didn't have to release many games.

freebs2 said:
Dulfite said:

Nintendo Exclusives:

Bayo 1&2 Ports

Kirby Star Allies

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (3DS content + Wii U content)

Nintendo Labo

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Port

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Octopath Traveler

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Port + new content

Go Vacation

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna DLC

Super Mario Party

Pokemon Let's Go

Smash Ultimate

So 14 total exclusives (Minus Bayo 1), 4 of which were ports from Wii U/3DS and 1 was a major DLC.

Fitness Boxing

New Super Mario Bros. U Delux

Yoshi's Crafted World

Super Mario Maker 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Tetris 99

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Link's Awakening Remake

Luigi's Mansion 3

Ring Fit Adventure

Pokemon Sword/Shield

13 total exclusives, 1 of which was a port. Much better year for new content, but same overall output roughly.

Brain Training

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore port

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition port

Clubhouse Games: 51

Paper Mario The Oragami King

Super Mario 3D All Stars

Pikmin 3 Delux port

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Fitness Boxing 2

11 exclusives with 2 ports and 2 games that are older games remastered. 

Was this supposed to make me change my mind? Beacuse it didn't. Also I don't comment 2019, because that year was good. Now, I always considered Nintendo the best publisher and best 1st party out there. But now if years like 2020 (and partially 2018) mostly made of ports, remakes with little changes, spin offs and low effort releases are considered good by its fanbase, I'm starting to question this.

I thought it would be helpful, one way or the other, for people to see exclusives from those years.

I can see 3rd party AAA home console games dropping due to low RAM and low CPU and GPU power for latest gen, followed later by 3rd part AA ones just due to low RAM, but less power and RAM hungry home games will support NS till the end, and every portable console games will do, NS has become monopolist of that market. As for 1st party, both home and portable oriented, a cycle alternating one rich year and one less rich makes sense, Ninty is the console maker with the widest 1st party, but its resources aren't infinite, and having to allocate enough dev teams for the periods when maximum growth or maximun momentum are needed, naturally creates a periodic trend of large and little release numbers, as typical major games development takes not less than two years.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Cerebralbore101 said:

And here's my not so pessimistic timetable. I think this one is less likely, but this is the sort of timetable I would prefer Nintendo to have for 2021-2023 first party game development.

1st Half of 2021

3D World + Bowser's Fury (With Bowser's Fury being a 20 hour long adventure).
Poke'mon Snap 2 (Winds up getting 80 to 90 on average on opencritic. Winds up being three times the length of the original Poke'mon Snap.)

2nd Half of 2021

BotW2
Bayo 3
Diamond/Pearl Remakes (With a large portion of the OU Smogon Bracket brought back. All Diamond/Pearl Poke's are now usable in Sword/Shield.)

1st Half of 2022

A new game from Monolithsoft
A remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons

2nd Half of 2022

Odyssey 2
A New Fire Emblem Game
A new game from Next Level Games

1st Half of 2023

Metroid Prime 4

2nd Half of 2023

Mario Kart 9
Splatoon 3 or something else from  the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team.
An entirely new Poke'mon game.

Launch Switch 2

Edit: Oh and in between all these big releases, give us ports of Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

So basically you expect Nintendo's output to slow to such a crawl that they only release four to five games a year, when they released 10 games even in a crap year like 2020 (with development being severely impacted by COVID no less). And this is your NON pessimistic timetable?

Nah, I can't get behind that. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And here's my not so pessimistic timetable. I think this one is less likely, but this is the sort of timetable I would prefer Nintendo to have for 2021-2023 first party game development.

1st Half of 2021

3D World + Bowser's Fury (With Bowser's Fury being a 20 hour long adventure).
Poke'mon Snap 2 (Winds up getting 80 to 90 on average on opencritic. Winds up being three times the length of the original Poke'mon Snap.)

2nd Half of 2021

BotW2
Bayo 3
Diamond/Pearl Remakes (With a large portion of the OU Smogon Bracket brought back. All Diamond/Pearl Poke's are now usable in Sword/Shield.)

1st Half of 2022

A new game from Monolithsoft
A remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons

2nd Half of 2022

Odyssey 2
A New Fire Emblem Game
A new game from Next Level Games

1st Half of 2023

Metroid Prime 4

2nd Half of 2023

Mario Kart 9
Splatoon 3 or something else from  the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team.
An entirely new Poke'mon game.

Launch Switch 2

Edit: Oh and in between all these big releases, give us ports of Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

So basically you expect Nintendo's output to slow to such a crawl that they only release four to five games a year, when they released 10 games even in a crap year like 2020 (with development being severely impacted by COVID no less). And this is your NON pessimistic timetable?

I suspect that post was meant to show just the big hitters and not A to AA budget exclusives.

Doctor_MG said:

Well, last year's Abyss thread got locked and the original poster of that thread requested that his posting history gets wiped. Somebody had to pick up the slack and who would be a better fit than his apprentice.

Some people in here suggested that this thread should get bumped in two years, but it's much more likely that it will remain active throughout the entire time.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Dulfite said:
Doctor_MG said:

I suspect that post was meant to show just the big hitters and not A to AA budget exclusives.

If that's true then I suppose I could see this list being somewhat accurate, but that's if we discount just about all the 3M sellers and under (aside from I guess Monlith Soft games). 

RolStoppable said:
Doctor_MG said:

Well, last year's Abyss thread got locked and the original poster of that thread requested that his posting history gets wiped. Somebody had to pick up the slack and who would be a better fit than his apprentice.

Some people in here suggested that this thread should get bumped in two years, but it's much more likely that it will remain active throughout the entire time.

Yeah, I think that by the end of the year this thread should get bumped, because I have a feeling 2021 will be more like 2019 than 2018. Quality of content wise. 

Doctor_MG said:

Four to five high quality hitters beats lazy ports, non-games like Mario Kart AR, and C tier releases like Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario.

Also, obviously Nintendo would have more than that in those years. I kept it to the good stuff that is worth buying.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 January 2021

Cerebralbore101 said:
Doctor_MG said:

Four to five high quality hitters beats lazy ports, non-games like Mario Kart AR, and C tier releases like Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario.

Also, obviously Nintendo would have more than that in those years. I kept it to the good stuff that is worth buying.

Don't you dare call Paper Mario C tier! I am triggered!!!