By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

Cerebralbore101 said:

And here's my not so pessimistic timetable. I think this one is less likely, but this is the sort of timetable I would prefer Nintendo to have for 2021-2023 first party game development.

1st Half of 2021

3D World + Bowser's Fury (With Bowser's Fury being a 20 hour long adventure).
Poke'mon Snap 2 (Winds up getting 80 to 90 on average on opencritic. Winds up being three times the length of the original Poke'mon Snap.)

2nd Half of 2021

BotW2
Bayo 3
Diamond/Pearl Remakes (With a large portion of the OU Smogon Bracket brought back. All Diamond/Pearl Poke's are now usable in Sword/Shield.)

1st Half of 2022

A new game from Monolithsoft
A remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons

2nd Half of 2022

Odyssey 2
A New Fire Emblem Game
A new game from Next Level Games

1st Half of 2023

Metroid Prime 4

2nd Half of 2023

Mario Kart 9
Splatoon 3 or something else from  the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team.
An entirely new Poke'mon game.

Launch Switch 2

Edit: Oh and in between all these big releases, give us ports of Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

So basically you expect Nintendo's output to slow to such a crawl that they only release four to five games a year, when they released 10 games even in a crap year like 2020 (with development being severely impacted by COVID no less). And this is your NON pessimistic timetable?

Nah, I can't get behind that. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

And here's my not so pessimistic timetable. I think this one is less likely, but this is the sort of timetable I would prefer Nintendo to have for 2021-2023 first party game development.

1st Half of 2021

3D World + Bowser's Fury (With Bowser's Fury being a 20 hour long adventure).
Poke'mon Snap 2 (Winds up getting 80 to 90 on average on opencritic. Winds up being three times the length of the original Poke'mon Snap.)

2nd Half of 2021

BotW2
Bayo 3
Diamond/Pearl Remakes (With a large portion of the OU Smogon Bracket brought back. All Diamond/Pearl Poke's are now usable in Sword/Shield.)

1st Half of 2022

A new game from Monolithsoft
A remake of Oracle of Ages/Seasons

2nd Half of 2022

Odyssey 2
A New Fire Emblem Game
A new game from Next Level Games

1st Half of 2023

Metroid Prime 4

2nd Half of 2023

Mario Kart 9
Splatoon 3 or something else from  the Animal Crossing/Splatoon team.
An entirely new Poke'mon game.

Launch Switch 2

Edit: Oh and in between all these big releases, give us ports of Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

So basically you expect Nintendo's output to slow to such a crawl that they only release four to five games a year, when they released 10 games even in a crap year like 2020 (with development being severely impacted by COVID no less). And this is your NON pessimistic timetable?

I suspect that post was meant to show just the big hitters and not A to AA budget exclusives.

Dulfite said:
Doctor_MG said:

I suspect that post was meant to show just the big hitters and not A to AA budget exclusives.

If that's true then I suppose I could see this list being somewhat accurate, but that's if we discount just about all the 3M sellers and under (aside from I guess Monlith Soft games). 

RolStoppable said:
Doctor_MG said:

Well, last year's Abyss thread got locked and the original poster of that thread requested that his posting history gets wiped. Somebody had to pick up the slack and who would be a better fit than his apprentice.

Some people in here suggested that this thread should get bumped in two years, but it's much more likely that it will remain active throughout the entire time.

Yeah, I think that by the end of the year this thread should get bumped, because I have a feeling 2021 will be more like 2019 than 2018. Quality of content wise. 

Doctor_MG said:

Four to five high quality hitters beats lazy ports, non-games like Mario Kart AR, and C tier releases like Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario.

Also, obviously Nintendo would have more than that in those years. I kept it to the good stuff that is worth buying.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 15 January 2021

Cerebralbore101 said:
Doctor_MG said:

Four to five high quality hitters beats lazy ports, non-games like Mario Kart AR, and C tier releases like Mystery Dungeon and Paper Mario.

Also, obviously Nintendo would have more than that in those years. I kept it to the good stuff that is worth buying.

Don't you dare call Paper Mario C tier! I am triggered!!!

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

Thank you for clarifying. Still, I'd say that the thread should be about all first party game output, then judge the output based on that. Quality is so subjective, one person might buy everything and another might buy nothing. Even going by what is GOING to sell isn't a good indicator, as you mention Monolith Soft in your list, but consider Paper Mario and Mystery Dungeon to be C tier when they've both sold more than games in the Xenoblade franchise. 

The Wii's 2011-2012 was awful because there were next to no first party games in general. 2011 was Skyward Sword, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Poke Park 2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street. For 2012 it was just Mario Party 9 and Kirby Collection. Even 2020 beats that abysmal lineup I would say, based on both quality and quantity. Do you really think that the next few years for Switch will be even worse than 2020?

No

In 2005-2006 Nintendo was simultaneously developing games for GameCube, Wii, GBA and DS.

In 2011-2012 Nintendo was simultaneously developing games for Wii, Wii U, DS & 3DS.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

SKMBlake said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Rescue Mission got bad reviews. Paper Mario only got 78/100 on Opencritic. All stars contains nothing new. If Nintendo was smart they'd already have a sizable chunk of their Gamecube/Wii library on the Switch eShop for purchase. Pikmin 3 is a 7 year old game. If you're going to talk about MKLive then talk about Labo from 2018.

Your statements has nothing to do with what I said. I can go the same way.

Rescue Mission is a Pokémon Game, Paper Mario released in summer, All stars in on cartridge, Pikmin is the 3rd episode. If you wanna talk about Labo, then talk about Resident Evil 4 remake.

See ?

Cerebralbore101 said:

If you're going to talk about MKLive then talk about Labo from 2018.

Well, I did

Why are you acting as if what I said has no bearing on whether or not these games are worth getting excited about? Rescue Mission being a Poke'mon game is irrelevant. Rescue Mission getting poor reviews is completely relevant. Origami King releasing in summer is irrelevant. Origami King being another Paper Mario game that moves further away from the greatness that was the OG Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door is completely relevant. All Stars being on cartridge is irrelevant. All Stars being a lazy port and a bunch of old games is completely relevant. People buy new game systems to play new games, not old games. Same goes for Pikmin 3.

I swear Nintendo could have a 1st party year consisting only of the following and certain Nintendo fans would defend it to their last breath as a good year...

Super Mario Party 2
Another Animal Crossing Spin off as bad as Happy Home Designer
Another Star Fox game as terrible as Zero.
Poke'mon Mystery Dungeon 2
Xenoblade X Port
Windwaker HD Port
Twilight Princess HD Port
1-2 Switch 2
Nintendo Fitness Plus Ultra Deluxe boring edition.
Metroid Prime Federation Force 2

Cerebralbore101 said:
Doctor_MG said:

See the issue here is, you're modelling this thread after your personal play pattern. Which is fine, but then it just makes it odd that you exclude third party games, third party exclusives, and indie games because we know you will probably be playing those (hell, some of those bigger indie games are even console-launch exclusives to the Switch). Again: The title of the thread is not what the topic is actually about. You're just talking about EPD, which is fine, but not the entire picture of a console's year. 

Doctor_MG said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Thank you for clarifying. Still, I'd say that the thread should be about all first party game output, then judge the output based on that. Quality is so subjective, one person might buy everything and another might buy nothing. Even going by what is GOING to sell isn't a good indicator, as you mention Monolith Soft in your list, but consider Paper Mario and Mystery Dungeon to be C tier when they've both sold more than games in the Xenoblade franchise. 

The Wii's 2011-2012 was awful because there were next to no first party games in general. 2011 was Skyward Sword, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Poke Park 2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Mario Sports Mix and Fortune Street. For 2012 it was just Mario Party 9 and Kirby Collection. Even 2020 beats that abysmal lineup I would say, based on both quality and quantity. Do you really think that the next few years for Switch will be even worse than 2020?

Well I'm starting to think that. I'm afraid that, that is the shitty times we live in. I want to hope that Nintendo has amazing output for 2021. But I just have this deep seated fear that Nintendo is just going to blow it this year. I want to be wrong. Nothing would make me happier.

Quality is subjective, but that doesn't make it irrelevant to the conversation. Without taking quality into account almost every system ever made was amazing with a high amount of games released for it. I mean, if somebody were to toss quality out the window, then 3DO can be said to be a good system since it got 200 games released to it.