By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

And the habitual Nintendo is doomed weakly post.

The facts?

Japan 2021, until now is better than in 2020(two weeks, i know).

MH Rise and thousand of the third party

Nintendo always tends to make a secret about your own projects.

We  know

BotW2

Pokemon Snap

Bowser Fury

Metroid Prime 4

Bayonetta 3

Rumors

New SKU ( more powerful maybe with DLSS)

One Mario 2D

One Monolith project

One open world Retro Project. 

A new 3d Mario.

Missing

Tomodachi

Switch Sports

Pokemon Remake

Pokemon NEW Gen

New DK

NEW 3D DK

The Weakness?

Nintendo don't have two ( or three) pipeline production at the same time ( Wii 2011 i m looking for you)

Nintendo unified the portable and stationary teams

Monolith and Retro have grown on the staff( maybe multiple projects?)

Next Level Games now is Nintendo

Last edited by Agente42 - on 14 January 2021

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
xMetroid said:

I would rather have a Mario Galaxy 3 with some bigger planets. It would look so good on Switch and the Galaxy brand is strong as hell and would carry the game a lot more than a Odyssey 2 imo.

What about a game that mixes the best of Mario 64, Galaxy, and Odyssey? 

I mean, i could see a Mario Galaxy 3 being similar to Odyssey. Switch is more powerful and could allow bigger planet and more ambitious design which could just be similar to kingdoms in Odyssey but with the ambiance of the Galaxy series.

I thought I was supposed to be the forum's resident pessimist.

Personally I don't see any reason to panic or assume doom right now. Yes, it's annoying how close to their chest Nintendo hold their cards these days, but it's premature to be writing off 2021 already when it's only January.

If we end up with another year of 2020-tier first party support, then I'll worry. For the moment, I'm still expecting this year to be better than last in terms of games for Switch as things should be less disrupted than 2020, projects set for last year that were pushed back should release, and a lot of Nintendo's teams have now had 3-4 years since their first Switch games and should be ready to go again.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 January 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Mario kart 9 anyone?
Tomodachi can be half as big as Animal crossing was, what can be pretty significant.
Now they had more time for a better made Pokemon game.
Nintendogs?
Other mario party
something like wii sports
2d mario
And of course we will get either yoshi, kirby, warioware
and RPGs. some monolithsoft game or a new fire emblem
Potential remakes/re-releases of the 3d zelda games.
More things like hyrule wariors/mario rabbids, start fox starlink, tokyo mirage sessions from third parties.

Illusion said:

The big difference between the Switches 2021 and the Wii's 2011 and the Gamecube's 2005, is that we have no information on new hardware coming from Nintendo or even a rumored codename at this point. With the Wii, we knew that Iwata was working on a new console in 2004 and there were rumors even before this because of how poorly the Gamecube was performing. With the Wii, Wii U rumors were public in 2010 according to Wikipedia. With the Wii U, we heard from Miyamoto in 2014 that Nintendo was working on new hardware and the NX was formally announced by Iwata in the first half of 2015. With the N64, we knew about project dolphin around E3 of 1999, 2.5 years before the Gamecube was released.

With the Switch we have no rumors of any new hardware from Nintendo and we are already into 2021. If anything, the lockdown from the last year has set back any R&D that Nintendo was doing on the Switch's successor and based on past trends it takes at least 2-3 years after we receive a codename from Nintendo before a console is released. I really think that the Switch has at least 3 years left in its life and Nintendo is much more likely to release pro models or faster variants of the Switch rather than going with totally new hardware, in which case the Switch could have an entire second life ahead of it in terms of sales and software. I do not see 2021 as being anything close to a twilight year for the Switch.

Aula is the rumored Switch pro model.  Right now the heavy rumor is it's an enhanced Switch that further utilizes the Mariko chip. They found info in a Switch OS update file. However like you say that's not a successor to the Switch. Just a possible new model of an existing system.

Last edited by Leynos - on 14 January 2021

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

A Fire Emblem game sounds tempting, a lot of people mention that Intelligent should produce a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War, but who knows if they really are interested in making such a thing.

SKMBlake said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The problem is that 2020 was even worse than 2018. 

No it was not. Absolutely not.

Overall, it was fine, and 2019 made people forget about 2018, but besides Pokémon and Smash, we didn't get much of great new games. 2 Mario titles (Tennis Aces and Super Mario Party), a Wii U port (Bayonetta 2) and a Yoshi game, which makes it around 6 noticeable games (besides Labo).

In 2020, we got a Pokémon game (Rescue Mission), 2 Mario games (Paper Mario + 3D All Stars), Xenoblade remake, a Wii U port (Pikmin 3), a Zelda game (Hyrule Warriors) and a huuuuge game called Animal Crossing. 

+ clubhouse 51 and Mario Kart Live

So no.

Rescue Mission got bad reviews. Paper Mario only got 78/100 on Opencritic. All stars contains nothing new. If Nintendo was smart they'd already have a sizable chunk of their Gamecube/Wii library on the Switch eShop for purchase. Pikmin 3 is a 7 year old game. If you're going to talk about MKLive then talk about Labo from 2018.

The notable releases from 2020 in terms of new 1st party games were Xenoblade Remake, Animal Crossing, Age of Calamity, and Clubhouse games (if board games are your thing).

But 2020 vs 2018 has been discussed to death in the "Staring into the Abyss" thread already.

Jumpin said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The problem is that 2020 was even worse than 2018. Nintendo really needs 2021 to be their BAM! year.

Edit: Should probably add Ryza 2, and No More Heroes III to your list of 3rd party games.

I agree that as far as 3rd party content goes 2021 looks amazing. As for Nintendo's 1st party content, I think it will be really anemic in 2021. That's what this thread was about. I think they'll try to get by on 3DWorld port + Poke'mon Snap + Some sort of Poke'mon remake or new game.

Errr, what? Switch’s 2020 literally just beat every home console in history, as far as Nintendo goes, ACNH is the most successful game in the history, demolishing all sub-year records.

When is this strange Nintendo is Doomsday cult going to quit?

I'm not referring to sales. I'm referring to 1st party content.

RolStoppable said:

A thread like this should have a yearly hardware sales prediction to go along with it.

Again, I'm not referring to console sales being anemic, or dropping off a cliff. I'm referring to 1st party content.

It's been blatantly obvious for the last six months that Switch was going to sell 110+ million lifetime. Switch would get there on the strength of its evergreen titles + 3rd party content alone.

Eagle367 said:

No matter what happens, we have to necrobump this thread in 2 years. It's gonna be good I think

The thread is titled "I'm beginning to think", not "I know".

Dulfite said:
freebs2 said:

Nintendo already had a shit year in 2020 (no, I don't care for sales, nor I do care for Animal Crossing). 2018 has been already a mixed bag, with SSB Ultimate the only major release I cared about.
If they don't bring anything worthwile in 2021 I may as well abandon them. They have only a single pantform now and it's selling like crazy, they literally have no excuses for not supporting it.

Nintendo Exclusives:

Bayo 1&2 Ports

Kirby Star Allies

Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (3DS content + Wii U content)

Nintendo Labo

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Port

Sushi Striker

Mario Tennis Aces

Octopath Traveler

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker Port + new content

Go Vacation

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna DLC

Super Mario Party

Pokemon Let's Go

Smash Ultimate

So 14 total exclusives (Minus Bayo 1), 4 of which were ports from Wii U/3DS and 1 was a major DLC.

Fitness Boxing

New Super Mario Bros. U Delux

Yoshi's Crafted World

Super Mario Maker 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Tetris 99

Astral Chain

Daemon X Machina

Link's Awakening Remake

Luigi's Mansion 3

Ring Fit Adventure

Pokemon Sword/Shield

13 total exclusives, 1 of which was a port. Much better year for new content, but same overall output roughly.

Brain Training

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore port

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition port

Clubhouse Games: 51

Paper Mario The Oragami King

Super Mario 3D All Stars

Pikmin 3 Delux port

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Fitness Boxing 2

11 exclusives with 2 ports and 2 games that are older games remastered. 

That's a good look at Switch's years. One thing to remember is that not all games are created equal. 2019 was an absolute blowout of a year with 7 new exclusives getting 80/100 average or higher on Opencritic. 2020 and 2018 didn't fare as well in terms of review scores.

I think this is a very long winded post based on very little.

Agente42 said:

And the habitual Nintendo is doomed weakly post.

The facts?

Japan 2021, until now is better than in 2020(two weeks, i know).

MH Rise and thousand of the third party

Nintendo always tends to make a secret about your own projects.

We  know

BotW2

Pokemon Snap

Bowser Fury

Metroid Prime 4

Bayonetta 3

Rumors

New SKU ( more powerful maybe with DLSS)

One Mario 2D

One Monolith project

One open world Retro Project. 

A new 3d Mario.

Missing

Tomodachi

Switch Sports

Pokemon Remake

Pokemon NEW Gen

New DK

NEW 3D DK

The Weakness?

Nintendo don't have two ( or three) pipeline production at the same time ( Wii 2011 i m looking for you)

Nintendo unified the portable and stationary teams

Monolith and Retro have grown on the staff( maybe multiple projects?)

Next Level Games now is Nintendo

Yes, obviously 3rd party will be great this year. I wasn't referring to 3rd party being anemic, but rather the possibility of Nintendo's 1st party content being weak this year, and every year until Nintendo releases Switch 2.

3rd party for 2021 will very clearly be...

SMTV
Ryza 2
Bravely Default II
No More Heroes III
Monster Hunter Rise
Persona 5 Strikers
Disgaea 6
World Ends With You Sequel
Monster Hunter Stories 2
Ys IX Monstrum Nox

IMO that's an insane year for 3rd party games. Many of them will be exclusives or semi-exclusive.

As far as 1st party goes, I'm afraid. Very afraid. I'm starting to think that BotW2 will get delayed into 2022 along with Bayo 3 being massively delayed. Possibly even into 2023 for Bayo 3.

I remain hopeful for Poke'mon Snap, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Prime 4 obviously isn't coming in 2021, let alone 2022.

P.S. Nintendo is anything but doomed. Switch will very easily sell 110+ million units lifetime. I'm just over here afraid that there is a very real possibility of Nintendo borderline abandoning the system 1st party wise.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 14 January 2021