By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

Cerebralbore101 said:
SKMBlake said:

Oh yeah, reminded me early 2019 posts where, after 1 year of almost no games (in 2018), people started to think that the Switch was doomed. And then bam! 8 exclusives in only one year.

So, no, Nintendo seems to not be able to keep a high momentum of software releases throught the year every year, so they do it every two years. We already have a great lineup of games coming this year, and we're still at january.

As far as I remember:
- Hitman III
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
- New Pokémon Snap
- Persona 5 Strikers
- Monster Hunter Stories
- Bravely Default II
- Ys 6
- Shin Megami Tensei 3 Remastered
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Disgea 6

The problem is that 2020 was even worse than 2018. Nintendo really needs 2021 to be their BAM! year.

Edit: Should probably add Ryza 2, and No More Heroes III to your list of 3rd party games.

I agree that as far as 3rd party content goes 2021 looks amazing. As for Nintendo's 1st party content, I think it will be really anemic in 2021. That's what this thread was about. I think they'll try to get by on 3DWorld port + Poke'mon Snap + Some sort of Poke'mon remake or new game.

Errr, what? Switch’s 2020 literally just beat every home console in history, as far as Nintendo goes, ACNH is the most successful game in the history, demolishing all sub-year records.

When is this strange Nintendo is Doomsday cult going to quit?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Probably not.

First thing to consider is the 3DS. 3DS launched in 2011, and obviously took away resources. Resources in general were split between two systems.

In 2011, we had...

DS-
Kirby Mass Attack

Wii-
Mario Sports Mix - 2011
Pandora's Tower - 2011
Wii Play: Motion - 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - 2011
Kirby's Return to Dream Land - 2011
Rhythm Heaven Fever - 2011
Fortune Street - 2011
PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond - 2011

3DS-
Steel Diver - 2011
Pilotwings Resort - 2011
Nintendogs + Cats
Tetris Axis - 2011
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - 2011
Star Fox 64 3D - 2011
Pokémon Rumble Blast - 2011
Super Mario 3D Land - 2011
Mario Kart 7 - 2011

Without having to support multiple systems, and preparing for the impending launch of a new one, I'm not sure why on earth you'd expect them to be developing like two games a year for the next 3 years.

Nintendo already had a shit year in 2020 (no, I don't care for sales, nor I do care for Animal Crossing). 2018 has been already a mixed bag, with SSB Ultimate the only major release I cared about.
If they don't bring anything worthwile in 2021 I may as well abandon them. They have only a single pantform now and it's selling like crazy, they literally have no excuses for not supporting it.

Why I think Switch will have a strong second half of its life:

1) Consolidated software teams. While their 3ds teams aren't used to making HD quality AAA games, having those teams work on their own HD games and/or joining already established HD teams will only enable them to produce faster output of games than Wii U.

2) Because they don't have two devices, they can't rely on one remaining relevant while they focus on the next generation. In the past, they could abandon one in order to have a good launch of the next big device, all the while relying on newer games to come out on their other device. They abandoned Wii U for Switch, but relied on 3DS sales in the meantime and kept making games for it. They abandoned Wii to make the Wii U, but relied on DS and eventually 3DS sales. They can't do that now since they have a unified platform, nor does it make business sense to do so. Because of this, I predict that the Switch will, in fact, have some of the best last 2-3 years a console life in Nintendo hardware history and I also predict Switch 2 will have a difficult first year in terms of quantity of quality games unless my below prediction happens.

3) I personally think Nintendo will try to stretch this generation out to at least 7 years before launching Switch 2 because of the unified team. They will need more time to develop year one games for Switch 2 to be successful at launch, so making years 4-6 very good in quantity and making year 7 slow down so they can focus on Switch 2 will help them with that.

4) I don't think Covid-19 is going away. The virus will continue to mutate and vaccines will be worthless in a year (my prediction). Everyone will continue to freak out and self-isolate, making the video game market continue to explode, particularly for Nintendo because their games are quite stress relieving. Because of this, Switch hardware sales will continue to be higher than Nintendo expects and they will decide to make even more software for it, particularly if they go to year 7 without another device.

Nintendo has already released most of its heavy hitters by now. Considering they still have to release a couple of WiiU ports, plus Botw2 and Pokemon Snap, and assuming we'll get a Mario Odyssey 2, a Pokemon remake and/or a new gen and a Fire Emblem title, they really don't have that many heavy hitters left to sell new hardware. By the end of this year, most people who wanted a Switch will have bought one.

I mean, it's fine by me, most of the games I'm interested in for the Switch are 3rd parties anyway, but I do wonder whether this will make Nintendo bother with a Super Switch or whatever the upgraded version might be called. I can absolutely see a cheap TV only version including a pair of joycons, though.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

One quick reason why it won’t happen:

There’s no other system other than the Switch on the market for Nintendo and there’s no signs of a need for a replacement for at least a couple of years. So there’s still no need for a transition in development.

True thats why 2021 will be an increase over 2020

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

The big difference between the Switches 2021 and the Wii's 2011 and the Gamecube's 2005, is that we have no information on new hardware coming from Nintendo or even a rumored codename at this point. With the Wii, we knew that Iwata was working on a new console in 2004 and there were rumors even before this because of how poorly the Gamecube was performing. With the Wii, Wii U rumors were public in 2010 according to Wikipedia. With the Wii U, we heard from Miyamoto in 2014 that Nintendo was working on new hardware and the NX was formally announced by Iwata in the first half of 2015. With the N64, we knew about project dolphin around E3 of 1999, 2.5 years before the Gamecube was released.

With the Switch we have no rumors of any new hardware from Nintendo and we are already into 2021. If anything, the lockdown from the last year has set back any R&D that Nintendo was doing on the Switch's successor and based on past trends it takes at least 2-3 years after we receive a codename from Nintendo before a console is released. I really think that the Switch has at least 3 years left in its life and Nintendo is much more likely to release pro models or faster variants of the Switch rather than going with totally new hardware, in which case the Switch could have an entire second life ahead of it in terms of sales and software. I do not see 2021 as being anything close to a twilight year for the Switch.

Illusion said:

The big difference between the Switches 2021 and the Wii's 2011 and the Gamecube's 2005, is that we have no information on new hardware coming from Nintendo or even a rumored codename at this point. 

Pretty much this.

And Switch is still in its 3rd year, 4th year won't start until 2 months from now

No matter what happens, we have to necrobump this thread in 2 years. It's gonna be good I think

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also