By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm beginning to think Switch's 2021-2023 will mirror Wii's 2011-2012.

curl-6 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, my hopes are pretty high right now. I'm basically content to sit and wait until E3. If we don't get at least 2 amazing new games previewed, I'll go back to my pessimism. Had Snap bombed with critics I would have brought this thread back with a vengeance.

Yeah I'm trying to remain optimistic also, as the announced/released lineup for the first 8 months of the year are better than I expected.

I feel pretty much the same about E3, if they have a decent show and reveal at least 2 new games for the second half of the year that look good enough to be worth buying, then I'll be pleased. On the other hand I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case it's a flop like their 2015 and 2018 shows.

I think we can count on a new hardware revision being released this year.  They are going to show it off at E3.

Because of that I think they are saving some key software titles for E3.  Some of these are probably third party games.  I think they are saving some first party game for the 2nd half of the year though.  They want some software to show off their new hardware.  I expect Nintendo to try to really impress us this year at E3.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah I'm trying to remain optimistic also, as the announced/released lineup for the first 8 months of the year are better than I expected.

I feel pretty much the same about E3, if they have a decent show and reveal at least 2 new games for the second half of the year that look good enough to be worth buying, then I'll be pleased. On the other hand I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case it's a flop like their 2015 and 2018 shows.

I think we can count on a new hardware revision being released this year.  They are going to show it off at E3.

Because of that I think they are saving some key software titles for E3.  Some of these are probably third party games.  I think they are saving some first party game for the 2nd half of the year though.  They want some software to show off their new hardware.  I expect Nintendo to try to really impress us this year at E3.

That's the thing though, I'm not getting a Switch Pro, so it's no good to me if they showcase games that'll only be on the new model to try to sell it. 

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That's the thing though, I'm not getting a Switch Pro, so it's no good to me if they showcase games that'll only be on the new model to try to sell it. 

I'm not expecting titles to be "Switch Pro only".  I am expecting titles that will obviously be enhanced by the new hardware.  For example, I can already tell that Age of Calamity is taxing the limits of the system just because of the raw number of enemies on the screen at once.  I'm sure it will run better on the new hardware.  More importantly, I think there will be some new titles, like Botw2, that will get an obvious benefit from the new hardware.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not expecting titles to be "Switch Pro only".  I am expecting titles that will obviously be enhanced by the new hardware.  For example, I can already tell that Age of Calamity is taxing the limits of the system just because of the raw number of enemies on the screen at once.  I'm sure it will run better on the new hardware.  More importantly, I think there will be some new titles, like Botw2, that will get an obvious benefit from the new hardware.

Honestly, BOTW2 alone would make the show for me. I'm not expecting it, seeing as how Nintendo have copped out on showing it so many times and how BOTW1 skipped E3 2015, but honestly I'd be satisfied if the rest of the show was empty so long as we see BOTW2 in action.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Jumpin said:

All I have to say about the original post: FAAAAAIIIIILLL! :D

We aren't out of the woods yet. Nintendo could still put out jack-all for 2021 after Poke'mon Snap. Hopefully they don't though. Remember that the thread is titled "I'm beginning to think" not "I know".

But anyway, I really do hope that Nintendo has a good bunch of 1st party releases for 2021. I don't want another 2020, or 2018, with weak 1st party lineups.

Errr, what? 2020 literally had one of the two most successful video game releases in all gaming history. It helped spur on a year of significantly faster sales than any home console has ever done. You don’t want to see that happen again?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

We aren't out of the woods yet. Nintendo could still put out jack-all for 2021 after Poke'mon Snap. Hopefully they don't though. Remember that the thread is titled "I'm beginning to think" not "I know".

But anyway, I really do hope that Nintendo has a good bunch of 1st party releases for 2021. I don't want another 2020, or 2018, with weak 1st party lineups.

Errr, what? 2020 literally had one of the two most successful video game releases in all gaming history. It helped spur on a year of significantly faster sales than any home console has ever done. You don’t want to see that happen again?

2020 was Animal Crossing, a Board Game Sim, Xenoblade Remake, and Hyrule Warriors 2. At least as far as new quality releases go. I'd much rather see 2021 be a year with plenty of quality new 1st party titles like 2019 or 2017.

I get what you're saying though. Animal Crossing definitely pushed console sales. That's great. I enjoyed Animal Crossing a lot. But I want more than just that and two other games from Nintendo's 1st party stable per year.

Jumpin said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Not if it means almost no worthwhile first party games like in 2020. I'm a gamer, not a shareholder, I'd rather get lots of awesome games than see record breaking sales.

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

Not if it means almost no worthwhile first party games like in 2020. I'm a gamer, not a shareholder, I'd rather get lots of awesome games than see record breaking sales.

The facts are against you Nintendoomers on this one. Animal Crossing is one of the most worthwhile games released in video game history. Not to mention an HD remaster of the most celebrated 3D Mario game, a new remastered version of Nintendo’s most critically praised RPG. This is demonstrated by some of the highest sales Nintendo has ever seen.

Your complaints have nothing to do with you being a gamer.  Nearly all of the 30 million people who bought Switch are also gamers. Dismissing that with a “because I’m a gamer!” isn’t an argument that makes you right, it makes you pretentious.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:

The facts are against you Nintendoomers  on this one. Animal Crossing is one of the most worthwhile games released in video game history. Not to mention an HD remaster of the most celebrated 3D Mario game, a new remastered version of Nintendo’s most critically praised RPG. This is demonstrated by some of the highest sales Nintendo has ever seen.

Your complaints have nothing to do with you being a gamer.  Nearly all of the 30 million people who bought Switch are also gamers. Dismissing that with a “because I’m a gamer!” isn’t an argument that makes you right, it makes you pretentious.

I doubt those 30 million people who got a Switch past year are only playing AC and a Mario collection. The point of buying a hardware is the cumulative library as well as future releases. 

2020 Nintendo's release schedule was very dry, basically Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and a bunch of remasters. As you seem unable to see value in anything that don't resort in high sales then we can talk about sales: AC and evergreen 2017-2019 games hard carried Switch last year. If you don't believe just look at software sales and see a bunch of 2017-2019 games outselling everything released on Switch last year not named Animal Crossing or Mario All Stars 

IcaroRibeiro said:
Jumpin said:

The facts are against you Nintendoomers  on this one. Animal Crossing is one of the most worthwhile games released in video game history. Not to mention an HD remaster of the most celebrated 3D Mario game, a new remastered version of Nintendo’s most critically praised RPG. This is demonstrated by some of the highest sales Nintendo has ever seen.

I doubt those 30 million people who got a Switch past year are only playing AC and a Mario collection. The point of buying a hardware is the cumulative library as well as future releases. 

2020 Nintendo's release schedule was very dry, basically Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and a bunch of remasters. As you seem unable to see value in anything that don't resort in high sales then we can talk about sales: AC and evergreen 2017-2019 games hard carried Switch last year. If you don't believe just look at software sales and see a bunch of 2017-2019 games outselling everything released on Switch last year not named Animal Crossing or Mario All Stars 

Not particularly relevant when evergreen sales making up large parts of Nintendo's sales is completely normal. The existence of evergeen software doesn't mean all newer software is dry.

Let's take a look at 2020 software sales of 2020 releases to test your hypothesis.

Animal Crossing - 31.18 million
Hyrule Warrior - 3.5 million
Pikmin Deluxe - 1.94 million
Mare Kart Home Circuit - 1.08 million
Mario 3D Allstars - 8.32 million
Paper Mario - 3.05 million
Xenoblade DE - 1.48 million
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - 1.26 million
Clubhouse Games - 2.62 million

A total of 54.43 million games sold. Looks like your hypothesis failed the test, since it's not a very dry year afterall. Animal Crossing has been the most significant release on Nintendo Switch since 2017.

Not only was this the highest selling year for first party software released in that particular year on the Switch, but perhaps among the highest in Nintendo's history. Additionally, Animal Crossing is the first killer app released on Switch since 2017.