By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 20-26 - Switch Outsells Lifetime 3DS Sales

Only the top 10 in the sights of the NS now, with the next set of numbers it'll be 77m finish for the platform in 2020 and start for 2021 that means a likely 80m finish to the FY.

Around the Network

How is Christmas week lower for Switch than the week before? This was suppose to be the biggest one

AlbiNecroxz said:
dmillos said:
heavenmercenary01 said:

next week might be another million seller.

Hopefully next week will also break records, but I find it very hard based on the numbers we saw from Famitsu about that week.

I looked back at last year and the global total was 466,030 out of which Japan had 216,512. 

Lets say that the world has as much of a growth as japan then we get (300K/217K = 139%) then the worldwide total would be around 644,281.

There is a big unknown this year compared to last year and that is how much China could represent. We will have to wait and see but it seems probable that the switch could be higher than 700k, It seems a little more unlikely that it could reach 1M but hopefully it will.

Last year the same week was 926k, it's only shifted by one week because this is a 53 week year

Sales are not "week number" specific they fluctuate daily... it's a closer comparison to compare w/e 26th with the w/e 28th as it's only 2 days skewed instead of 5.

So the next sales week w/e 2nd Jan is better compared with w/e 4th Jan.... doesn't matter that one is considered week 1 of the new year and the other is considered week 53.

I am expecting 600-700k range for next week. (~300k Japan, ~100k USA, ~120k Europe, ~120k other)

HigHurtenflurst said:
AlbiNecroxz said:

Last year the same week was 926k, it's only shifted by one week because this is a 53 week year

Sales are not "week number" specific they fluctuate daily... it's a closer comparison to compare w/e 26th with the w/e 28th as it's only 2 days skewed instead of 5.

So the next sales week w/e 2nd Jan is better compared with w/e 4th Jan.... doesn't matter that one is considered week 1 of the new year and the other is considered week 53.

I am expecting 600-700k range for next week. (~300k Japan, ~100k USA, ~120k Europe, ~120k other)

You're right, but I was referring to stick with Christmas weeks comparison, imo it's better

Zanark best Inazuma Eleven pg

xMetroid said:

How is Christmas week lower for Switch than the week before? This was suppose to be the biggest one

w/e 26th has 2 days where almost nobody buys anything.

Also I think people generally don't do as much last minute shopping as they used to.

Around the Network
AlbiNecroxz said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

You're right, but I was referring to stick with Christmas weeks comparison, imo it's better

What do you consider "Christmas weeks"?

Smell ya later 3DS, or rather never.

Ah, the good old days when so many proclaimed the lifetime sales of the two systems would be on par. So much for that.

This year will see GBA, PSP, 360, and PS3 surpassed for sure, possibly even PS1 and Wii.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 January 2021

PS4 is creeping toward the Game Boy/Game Boy Color. If Sony actually lets the hardware live a few more years, it might manage to surpass the GB.

Switch has surpassed the 3DS. I remember the time when I thought Switch would tank as hard as the Wii U or manage NES sales. Those were early on.

Xbox One is creeping toward 50 million, and I think it can pull it off.

It will be interesting to watch the Xbox Series and PS5 take off more when there are less supply constraints and more next-gen games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

HigHurtenflurst said:
xMetroid said:

w/e 26th has 2 days where almost nobody buys anything.

Also I think people generally don't do as much last minute shopping as they used to.

After Christmas sales are big as well. I guess we will know in a few weeks 

Another week PS4 is down more units (296k) than PS5 has sold (287k). Next weeks should be the other way round until the PS4 pandemic boost / FF VII R boost kicks off.