By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Dec 20-26 - Switch Outsells Lifetime 3DS Sales

dmillos said:

Great numbers for the switch, it is easy to get caught up and wish sales keep climbing indefinitely, but these numbers are extremely good. 

Also if these numbers don't get revised down considerably, then the switch will become the first console since the Wii in 2009 to sell over 1M for 5 consecutive weeks. The DS holds the record for selling over 1M for 6 consecutive weeks in 2007.

ConsoleYearWeeksTotal
DS200768,940,559
DS200858,585,269
Wii200856,418,551
Wii200957,579,410
Switch202057,055,058

PlayStation and Xbox never stood a chance! 



Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

Another week, another clear Switch win.

I don't see this changing in 2021. Other than maybe when a big game releases for the PS5 or Xbox Series X|S. But that really depends on the stock of the consoles. 

No reason to believe Sony Ps5 Stock will improve drastically, there is clearly problems at the shipping line at this point, 2021 it is going to be another terrible year for Ps5 stock wise.

Switch will definetely take 2021 it is not even a context.

Ps5 will take the lead 2022 onwards with very very ease but 2021 it is Switch kicking ass in the Top Spot. 



trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Smell ya later 3DS, or rather never.

Ah, the good old days when so many proclaimed the lifetime sales of the two systems would be on par. So much for that.

This year will be PSP, GBA, 360, and PS3 surpassed for sure, possibly even PS1 and Wii.

Crazy to think that the DS and PS2 are even possible now. It all depends on how long Nintendo supports the system. With the rumored 4K mid-gen upgrade possibly coming out this year, I don't see a Switch successor until spring 2024 or later. 

Momentum will slow down in 2021 and 2022 for sure but 120M+ is a lock, DS and Ps2 levels is a long shot yeat but who knows. 



Energy will back off in 2021 and 2022 without a doubt yet 120M+ is a lock, DS and Ps2 levels is a since quite a while ago shot yeat yet who knows.

validcbdoil

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 15 January 2021

SilenceDeadly said:
trunkswd said:

I don't see this changing in 2021. Other than maybe when a big game releases for the PS5 or Xbox Series X|S. But that really depends on the stock of the consoles. 

No reason to believe Sony Ps5 Stock will improve drastically, there is clearly problems at the shipping line at this point, 2021 it is going to be another terrible year for Ps5 stock wise.

Switch will definetely take 2021 it is not even a context.

Ps5 will take the lead 2022 onwards with very very ease but 2021 it is Switch kicking ass in the Top Spot. 

I would not say "with very very ease."

It would take the Switch sales really dropping like a rock, along with the PS5 skyrocketing these next two years for it to become the market leader by 2022.

Assuming the Switch takes a natural decline, I could see it selling 23-25 million units in 2021; Then maybe another 20-22 million units in 2022. 

The PS5 will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-17 million in 2021; And then rise from there to 18-20 million units in 2022. So there's a good chance that the Switch will still be the market leader in 2022, into the early parts of 2023, barring a total collapse, which I just don't see happening.

Plus, consider that the PS4's peak year was just ~20 million in 2017, which was its 4th full year on the market. The PS5's 4th full year on the market would be 2024, and if it has a similar trajectory to the PS4, then it wouldn't truly become the undisputed market leader until that year.

The Switch could be the top dog for a very long time. At least for the next 2 years; Then by 2023, they'll be neck and neck, going back and forth as the PS5 is truly starting to hit its stride while the Switch is on its way out. But if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on the PS5 taking that top spot by 2022.



Around the Network

Santa Claus "Christmas was cancelled this year."



My prediction in 2021.

SW: 30m

PS5 16m

XBS: 7.5m

After the WiiU I never thought I'd see a day where one Nintendo system, outsells four Sony's and MS's systems, combined ... IN EUROPE!



SilenceDeadly said:
trunkswd said:

I don't see this changing in 2021. Other than maybe when a big game releases for the PS5 or Xbox Series X|S. But that really depends on the stock of the consoles. 

No reason to believe Sony Ps5 Stock will improve drastically, there is clearly problems at the shipping line at this point, 2021 it is going to be another terrible year for Ps5 stock wise.

Switch will definetely take 2021 it is not even a context.

Ps5 will take the lead 2022 onwards with very very ease but 2021 it is Switch kicking ass in the Top Spot. 

Depending on if/when the Switch Pro launches and what it looks like, Switch could win 2022 as well. If it is like New 3ds where only a couple games are really made to use it then it won't, but if it allows for many new games to port over and that incentivizes enough current Switch owners to buy the Switch Pro it could!

At the very least I think 2022 will be close, anything beyond that will be Playstashdomination until Switch 2's second year.



SilenceDeadly said:
 

No reason to believe Sony Ps5 Stock will improve drastically, there is clearly problems at the shipping line at this point, 2021 it is going to be another terrible year for Ps5 stock wise.

Switch will definetely take 2021 it is not even a context.

Ps5 will take the lead 2022 onwards with very very ease but 2021 it is Switch kicking ass in the Top Spot. 

Why would the PS5 take the lead "with very very ease" from 2022? The Switch is selling faster than any Sony console ever did, why would it be easy for the PS5 to outsell the Switch? From your posting history it's clear you are very confident in the PS5's success, but flat out predicting it will easily topple Switch level sales is basically saying the PS5 will no doubt become the best selling console of all time, no uncertainty at all.



PAOerfulone said:
SilenceDeadly said:

No reason to believe Sony Ps5 Stock will improve drastically, there is clearly problems at the shipping line at this point, 2021 it is going to be another terrible year for Ps5 stock wise.

Switch will definetely take 2021 it is not even a context.

Ps5 will take the lead 2022 onwards with very very ease but 2021 it is Switch kicking ass in the Top Spot. 

I would not say "with very very ease."

It would take the Switch sales really dropping like a rock, along with the PS5 skyrocketing these next two years for it to become the market leader by 2022.

Assuming the Switch takes a natural decline, I could see it selling 23-25 million units in 2021; Then maybe another 20-22 million units in 2022. 

The PS5 will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-17 million in 2021; And then rise from there to 18-20 million units in 2022. So there's a good chance that the Switch will still be the market leader in 2022, into the early parts of 2023, barring a total collapse, which I just don't see happening.

Plus, consider that the PS4's peak year was just ~20 million in 2017, which was its 4th full year on the market. The PS5's 4th full year on the market would be 2024, and if it has a similar trajectory to the PS4, then it wouldn't truly become the undisputed market leader until that year.

The Switch could be the top dog for a very long time. At least for the next 2 years; Then by 2023, they'll be neck and neck, going back and forth as the PS5 is truly starting to hit its stride while the Switch is on its way out. But if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on the PS5 taking that top spot by 2022.

You´re absolutely right in your whole post but you´re missing 1 thing:

- Ps5 will demolish Ps4 performance.