By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild is overrated.

But calling Breath of the Wild overrated is silly when you take into account all the other games rated above it. Most of which were nowhere near as good as Beaty of the Wild, even in their own time.

Breath of the Wild is a better game in 2017 than Ocarina of Time was in 1998; but that’s probably the toughest argument except maybe Mario Galaxy.

Breath of the Wild is underrated when you consider the games above it. I mean seriously? Grand Theft Auto 4? Tony Hawk? Red Dead Redneck? The list is ridiculous when you look at the other games there. Breath of the Wild should be one of the games that Meta critic people shouldn’t be concerned about.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 03 January 2021

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

You are so wron-

Wait

I agree?

I am confused by the opinion of the op lol.

Agreed of all the games I would give a 10 to (Chrono Trigger, Ocarnia of Time, and Breath of the Wild) It's on the bottom of that 10's list!

zero129 said:
Pemalite said:

Only thing I disliked about the game was that it wasn't a full fat 1080P at a minimum with a 60fps framerate... And allot of the texturing was clearly low resolution, but that's Nintendo's antiquated hardware holding things back.

Keen for the sequel, hopefully it's more of a looker.

Thats why i finished the game on PC xD .

@OP

I finished the game about 3 months ago and it was one of the best gaming experiences i've had in ages.

I was tempted to grab CEMU and play it the "way it's meant to be played" with full on Ray Tracing and reshade, but it won't fix up some of those low resolution assets, even hi-res texture pack mods don't seem to do it justice.

But I am just nitpicking at this point... If all I can complain about is visual fidelity.

In saying that, I did complete the game on the WiiU and spent hours laying in bed or at the fire station on the WiiU gamepad with it's shitty 480P display and still had a blast, the Switch version whilst offering more clarity and stable framerates isn't a markedly different experience... So I haven't bothered replaying the game to any great extent on that.

I feel for me personally a single playthrough is all I can manage. It's still one of the all time greatest games in gaming history.

The only hope I have is for Breath of the Wild 2 to just be a more visual masterpiece now that the engine won't be designed and held back by the WiiU.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I’d get your argument if you said it should be a 90-92.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Only thing I disliked about the game was that it wasn't a full fat 1080P at a minimum with a 60fps framerate... And allot of the texturing was clearly low resolution, but that's Nintendo's antiquated hardware holding things back.

Keen for the sequel, hopefully it's more of a looker.

Well I played it entirely on a portable device and it looked good there. On the Switch Lite screen the game looked clean and sharp. The draw distance seemed pretty good as well. I haven't seen how the Switch version holds up on a large screen but I assume fairly well.

For comparison sake, I do own this game on Wii U and I played a while to see how it holds up. On Wii U, its a pixelated mess, I doubt it has any AA, I suspect it has reduced draw distance and performance is less stable. It was surprisingly less polished than I expected and the Wii U tablet screen isn't used for anything.

Anyhow, at the very least its an impressive looking game for a tiny device like Switch. Then you've got the option of Cemu for that high fidelity you desire.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Eric2048 said:

Maybe i'd agree it's somewhat overrated. But It has a lot of clever game design choices and fun mechanics.

I will say the shrines are a lame replacement for traditional dungeons. And the weapon degradation system is just pointless and annoying.

But besides that it's a fantastic game.

The four divine beasts and the shrines were the dungeon replacements I believe. I suppose weapons breaking were done to make the game feel like a survival experience. You're constantly looking for new stuff for cooking, selling, etc.

Weapons breaking is a burden because it limits what you will do in fear of not having weapons for a boss battle. I could talk for hours about what annoys me about this game but I still loved it. Its a game I could enjoy replaying as well given I now better understand the mechanics and what I should focus on.

I also love sandbox games with an actual campaign. Once I realized what this game really is, I got hooked.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

PortisheadBiscuit said:

I can't imagine playing BOTW on a Lite

It honestly felt and looked great to me. Using the motion stuff to improve my aim also felt intuitive.

More importantly! I didn't mind doing long sessions while relaxing in bed. Which is why I bought a Switch in general.

Recently Completed

ice said:

This thread was made over a 1-2 point meta score disagreement lol

I kinda rolled my eyes at the metascore. But after completing the game I was like... "its pretty fucking good."

Recently Completed

A game like that should never be played on handheld.