By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Favorite local Multiplayer game

Tagged games:

On what console did you play your favorite Local Multiplayer Game?

Arcade 0 0%

Nintendo Console 21 75.00%

Sega Console 0 0%

PlayStation Console 3 10.71%

Xbox Console 2 7.14%

Atari 0 0%

PC 1 3.57%

Other 1 3.57%

Total:28
dmillos said:
Zkuq said:

My favourites include (in no specific order) Crash Team Racing, Quake II, and Dynasty Warriors, and Worms Armageddon. Those are probably my favourites, and, as you can see, they're quite ancient. Local multiplayer on consoles isn't doing too well these days, I fear... I mean I guess there must be tons of great games, but they seem too much like 'party games' for my taste.

The Worms Franchise is amazing, they steered off a little bit but with the Worms WMD on switch I felt it was just like Armageddon. If you haven't played it I think you could have some fun with it. The multiplayer is amazing, and as a bonus there are all the solo missions that are fun as well.

I actually did try Worms W.M.D. during a free weekend, and it did seem quite fun. In fact, it was the game that got me into Worms Armageddon again! I'll probably get W.M.D. too at some point, but probably not while Armageddon still offers enough entertainment. That, and if a new, better Worms game gets released, I might get that one instead of W.M.D.

Around the Network

For as much Street Fighter 2 (and it's revisions), and Mortal Kombat and it's sequels, as well as Super Mario Kart were played, the SNES is not my #1 local MP console. Original Playstation, JUST by virtue of Worms, takes the crown. And that's just Worms. Plain old Worms. Bottom Of The 9th Baseball by Konami was basically played just as much. I think the fact that I was living in my first place of my own was also a factor in play here. Lots more freedom and traffic. :) Shout out to Herzog Zwei on the Genesis too.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 28 December 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Easily Mario Kart Wii/Mario Kart 8.

Both have provided me with hundreds of hours of fun with friends and some of my fondest memories of my 20s, sinking beers at my University dorm with mates and we laughed and cheered with every victory, blue shell, or tumble off rainbow road. You can't put a price on that kind of magic.

Super Smash Bros.

Of that series in particular: Melee, Brawl, and Wii U. Unfortunately, I haven't played local multiplayer for Smash Ultimate as much as I would like. And it's usually with just one person instead of a party.

Mario Kart is up there as well, and some of the better Mario Party games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

The best memories I have are with Mario Kart 64. Such a great game!

Honorable mentions go to Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, all Smash games, Pokémon Stadium, and International Superstar Soccer on the SNES.

Around the Network

Mario Kart DS is the absolute king for me. The amount of hours my friends and I spent on Balloon Fights are incalculable. Somu fun... Shame battle mode hasn't been the same since MK7. MK8D improved a bit... But I don't know, it's still lacking something. The arenas from the DS and Wii games were amazing...

Wii Sports and Wii Fit (and all their iterations) were also fantastic. I played them with my family for years and we had an awesome time with them. Bowling was legendary xD

And... These are not the ones you would first think when talking about offline co-op games... But Mario Galaxy, Subspace Emissary from SSBB and Star Fox Zero were unforgetable co-op experiences for me. In Mario Galaxy the co-op was kind of simplistic, but regardless, meand my sister were so happy to play this game together during 2008's winter... Subspace Emissary was super epic to play with a friend of mine... And Star Fox Zero went from an average game on single player... To one of the best on the Wii U thanks to co-op. One of us would shoot and the other would control the Starwing. What a journey. It was super intense and inmersive. "Move that way, we gotta shoot that son of a bitch!" "Shoot in three, two, one... NOW! ". SO FUCKING GREAT.

Goldeneye is the GOAT.

Nowadays it’s Mario or Mario Kart.

No one played Ultimate Chicken Horse? That game is awesome with 3 friends and some beers.

Growing up was Nintendo no question. Sure I play Minecraft Dungeons with the Mrs. but Nintendo is still the king of couch coop.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Wii is still my best local multiplayer console: Trauma Center series, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Wii series (Sports, Play, Fit, Party, Resort, Motion), Mario Kart Wii, Big Brain Academy, Just Dance series, We Ski / Cheer, Go Vacation, Super Smah Bros. Brawl, Mario & Sonic Olympic series, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Rock Band series, Super Swing Golf.

Can't decide my favourite between Trauma Center, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Go Vacation.
Have great memories playing multiplayer with those games.

Honorable mentions to the MegaDrive (Micro Machines, Streets of Rage), WiiU (NintendoLand, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Game & Wario, Hyrule Warriors) and Switch (Snipperclips, PuyoPuyo Tetris, Rocket League, Flat Heroes, Luigi's Mansion 3, 51 Worldwide Games, Overcooked series, Kingdom Two Crowns).

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"