By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Might get worse for CDPR....

Vodacixi said:
sales2099 said:

It’ll blow over. They made so much money even after refunds they can settle before it hits court and still be ok. The game will be largely fixed in the next months that by spring this will all be a memory. Cyberpunk will essentially make a comeback like games before. Halo MCC, No Mans Sky, etc.

The game might make a comeback. CDPR however... I doubt their image will ever recover after all of this.

If the game makes a comeback, why wouldn’t CDPR? If Ubi or EA can release games that are broken at launch but still recover and still sell millions with their later games, why can’t CDPR? Hell, Bethesda turned Fallout 76 around. A game that launched in a worse state than Cyberpunk. When they announce Fallout 5 or the next TES mainline game, will anyone care about 76? 

At the same time, later this year CDPR can announce Witcher 4 or any other new project and it will get instant hype. Gamers don’t care about this stuff. It’s the internet making a fuss about it. Happens every year with CoD. Broken elements at launch, horrific install sizes, glitches, bad monetization elements, etc. If you read the internet you’d think CoD sells 43 copies a year. 



Around the Network

To everyone that has replied to my comment: Up until now, CDPR was seen as this super duper friend of gamers that always thought about them and could never do anything wrong. In the course of a week they have:

- Knowingly lied to the entire gaming industry. Not only their fans and customers, but their investors, their employees and the major console manufacturers.
- Proven that this crunch they admitted and defended months ago was all for nothing, because the game launched at an awful state regardless.
- Banned a videogame from GOG because they want to please the chinease government and instead of being honest THEY SAID THAT THEY DID IT FOR THE GAMERS. LOL
- Released a game in a completely unacceptable state for last gen systems
- Released a game that is missing a crap ton of features and content they said it would have
- Released a game with color/light patterns that can trigger seizures and shielded themselves in their user agreement... despite the fact that said user agreement is written like if it was a joke.
- Released a game with a glitch that erases your save file if you craft too much on PC.
-... And probably more stuff I'm missing out

My point is: things will never be the same for them. It is clear that people can't be forever mad at something and with time and some free DLCs, people will calm down a little. But to even suggest that CDPR will regain the almost untouchable status they once had? I seriously doubt it. They have shown their true colors. They are no different than any other AAA company, despite the small gestures they may have with their physical games and some policies on their store. And that is something that will be remembered forver (or so I think).

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 30 December 2020

Mar1217 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I'm still shocked how fast this debacle has happened. The backlash for overhyping and underdelivering big AAA games is becoming faster and faster, and I'm quite happy with that. If only that meant companies would moderate themselves with promising the moon or announcing their games a decade before release...

So we saying Bethesda is next then ... good ! 

Honestly, I think they got it too easy with 76 still. 

I can easily see them do something similar with ESVI or Starfield.

76 was the ruination of Bethesda's RPG branch for me. It wasn't until I found out that 76 was made by a smaller studio, that I held out hope for Starfield/ES6 being good. But IMO Bethesda RPGs have pretty much been stuck in a time warp since 2011. The bland formula of Skyrim/Fallout 4 isn't going to wow me anymore. Not with stuff like BotW, Horizon, and Spider-Man out there.

shikamaru317 said:
Vodacixi said:

The game might make a comeback. CDPR however... I doubt their image will ever recover after all of this.

Considering how many diehard fans CD Projekt has that are continuing to support them during this controversy, I doubt that. Their image still has alot going for them:

  • One of the few developers/publishers that supports DRM free gaming, with their own Steam competitor GOG
  • One of the few developers who still puts goodies into a standard edition game case (things like posters, guide books, and even their soundtracks, which most developers charge separately for)
  • Strongly against singleplayer microtransactions and things like console exclusive DLC or preorder bonus DLC, instead releasing all of the smaller DLC's they design for their games for free
  • Planning to release their upcoming Cyberpunk multiplayer game for free to everybody who buys Cyberpunk singleplayer, something most other publishers these days would charge separately for, considering Cyberpunk's multiplayer has multi-million seller capability and could make alot of money to keep the investors happy

Have they made mistakes? For damn sure. Will it take time for them to recover? You better believe it. Will they eventually fully recover? I think so, as long as the investors don't wrest control from the current board of directors which contains several actual game developers. If CD Projekt ends up getting ran by nothing but suits who care about maximizing profit at the cost of all else (current board made the mistake of trying to please money hungry investors), all of the things that make their image better than other developers/publishers will be gone, and they will just be another money hungry developer like Rockstar and money hungry publisher like EA and Activision. The current board needs to maintain control and do some soul searching and get back to their roots that made them the greatest developer and publisher on the planet, instead of trying to please investors who want nothing more than small budgets and microtransactions for huge profit margins, which would ruin CD Projekt in the eyes of gamers.

Interesting. I was sure you were all for Microtransactions in games. I don't think they belong in any $60 game, and frankly ruin the game beyond repair. Buying a game with MTX in it is like buying a car that has a faulty car alarm, non-functional windows, a horn that goes off on its own, no seatbelts, a backseat light that turns on randomly, and a trunk that can't be unlocked. Sure it's still a functional item, but all those little annoyances add up to the point where I just don't want to play the game.

But anyway, you're right that they do have a lot going for their public image. GoG has really improved in its selection over the last five years. They even have Horizon, which I'm tempted to double dip on. What they did to console users was just devious though. Withholding console performance, and only dishing out reviews to PC gamers, was just evil. I'm having a really good time with the game on my PC. My only consistent bug is not being able to pick up random loot every once in a while. But then again, I am running it on a pretty beastly rig.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Mar1217 said:

So we saying Bethesda is next then ... good ! 

Honestly, I think they got it too easy with 76 still. 

I can easily see them do something similar with ESVI or Starfield.

76 was the ruination of Bethesda's RPG branch for me. It wasn't until I found out that 76 was made by a smaller studio, that I held out hope for Starfield/ES6 being good. But IMO Bethesda RPGs have pretty much been stuck in a time warp since 2011. The bland formula of Skyrim/Fallout 4 isn't going to wow me anymore. Not with stuff like BotW, Horizon, and Spider-Man out there.

shikamaru317 said:

Considering how many diehard fans CD Projekt has that are continuing to support them during this controversy, I doubt that. Their image still has alot going for them:

  • One of the few developers/publishers that supports DRM free gaming, with their own Steam competitor GOG
  • One of the few developers who still puts goodies into a standard edition game case (things like posters, guide books, and even their soundtracks, which most developers charge separately for)
  • Strongly against singleplayer microtransactions and things like console exclusive DLC or preorder bonus DLC, instead releasing all of the smaller DLC's they design for their games for free
  • Planning to release their upcoming Cyberpunk multiplayer game for free to everybody who buys Cyberpunk singleplayer, something most other publishers these days would charge separately for, considering Cyberpunk's multiplayer has multi-million seller capability and could make alot of money to keep the investors happy

Have they made mistakes? For damn sure. Will it take time for them to recover? You better believe it. Will they eventually fully recover? I think so, as long as the investors don't wrest control from the current board of directors which contains several actual game developers. If CD Projekt ends up getting ran by nothing but suits who care about maximizing profit at the cost of all else (current board made the mistake of trying to please money hungry investors), all of the things that make their image better than other developers/publishers will be gone, and they will just be another money hungry developer like Rockstar and money hungry publisher like EA and Activision. The current board needs to maintain control and do some soul searching and get back to their roots that made them the greatest developer and publisher on the planet, instead of trying to please investors who want nothing more than small budgets and microtransactions for huge profit margins, which would ruin CD Projekt in the eyes of gamers.

Interesting. I was sure you were all for Microtransactions in games. I don't think they belong in any $60 game, and frankly ruin the game beyond repair. Buying a game with MTX in it is like buying a car that has a faulty car alarm, non-functional windows, a horn that goes off on its own, no seatbelts, a backseat light that turns on randomly, and a trunk that can't be unlocked. Sure it's still a functional item, but all those little annoyances add up to the point where I just don't want to play the game.

But anyway, you're right that they do have a lot going for their public image. GoG has really improved in its selection over the last five years. They even have Horizon, which I'm tempted to double dip on. What they did to console users was just devious though. Withholding console performance, and only dishing out reviews to PC gamers, was just evil. I'm having a really good time with the game on my PC. My only consistent bug is not being able to pick up random loot every once in a while. But then again, I am running it on a pretty beastly rig.

That comparison is completely off. The games aren't automatically broken because they include MTX. Everything that is necessary is included which translates to a perfectly functional car. It's just that you can buy additional flashy stuff like steering wheel covers, carbon fiber hoods or tinted windows and in some rarer cases you can purchase high octance gas to get to your destination a little faster.

And no I have never paid for MTX in my life despite having played a few games that have them.

Last edited by Barozi - on 30 December 2020

The mystique of CDPR is gone. They are just another company at this point.



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
 

shikamaru317 said:

Considering how many diehard fans CD Projekt has that are continuing to support them during this controversy, I doubt that. Their image still has alot going for them:

  • One of the few developers/publishers that supports DRM free gaming, with their own Steam competitor GOG
  • One of the few developers who still puts goodies into a standard edition game case (things like posters, guide books, and even their soundtracks, which most developers charge separately for)
  • Strongly against singleplayer microtransactions and things like console exclusive DLC or preorder bonus DLC, instead releasing all of the smaller DLC's they design for their games for free
  • Planning to release their upcoming Cyberpunk multiplayer game for free to everybody who buys Cyberpunk singleplayer, something most other publishers these days would charge separately for, considering Cyberpunk's multiplayer has multi-million seller capability and could make alot of money to keep the investors happy

Have they made mistakes? For damn sure. Will it take time for them to recover? You better believe it. Will they eventually fully recover? I think so, as long as the investors don't wrest control from the current board of directors which contains several actual game developers. If CD Projekt ends up getting ran by nothing but suits who care about maximizing profit at the cost of all else (current board made the mistake of trying to please money hungry investors), all of the things that make their image better than other developers/publishers will be gone, and they will just be another money hungry developer like Rockstar and money hungry publisher like EA and Activision. The current board needs to maintain control and do some soul searching and get back to their roots that made them the greatest developer and publisher on the planet, instead of trying to please investors who want nothing more than small budgets and microtransactions for huge profit margins, which would ruin CD Projekt in the eyes of gamers.

Interesting. I was sure you were all for Microtransactions in games. I don't think they belong in any $60 game, and frankly ruin the game beyond repair. Buying a game with MTX in it is like buying a car that has a faulty car alarm, non-functional windows, a horn that goes off on its own, no seatbelts, a backseat light that turns on randomly, and a trunk that can't be unlocked. Sure it's still a functional item, but all those little annoyances add up to the point where I just don't want to play the game.

But anyway, you're right that they do have a lot going for their public image. GoG has really improved in its selection over the last five years. They even have Horizon, which I'm tempted to double dip on. What they did to console users was just devious though. Withholding console performance, and only dishing out reviews to PC gamers, was just evil. I'm having a really good time with the game on my PC. My only consistent bug is not being able to pick up random loot every once in a while. But then again, I am running it on a pretty beastly rig.

I am ok with non-randomized cosmetic microtransactions in a multiplayer game, because it's the lesser of two evils compared to map packs, which split the playerbase, leaving those who buy the maps having a hard time finding matches on the new maps they paid for. I am not ok with randomized microtransactions, aka lootboxes, which is basically just gambling, nor am I ok with microtransactions in a singleplayer game. 



Barozi said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

76 was the ruination of Bethesda's RPG branch for me. It wasn't until I found out that 76 was made by a smaller studio, that I held out hope for Starfield/ES6 being good. But IMO Bethesda RPGs have pretty much been stuck in a time warp since 2011. The bland formula of Skyrim/Fallout 4 isn't going to wow me anymore. Not with stuff like BotW, Horizon, and Spider-Man out there.

shikamaru317 said:

Considering how many diehard fans CD Projekt has that are continuing to support them during this controversy, I doubt that. Their image still has alot going for them:

  • One of the few developers/publishers that supports DRM free gaming, with their own Steam competitor GOG
  • One of the few developers who still puts goodies into a standard edition game case (things like posters, guide books, and even their soundtracks, which most developers charge separately for)
  • Strongly against singleplayer microtransactions and things like console exclusive DLC or preorder bonus DLC, instead releasing all of the smaller DLC's they design for their games for free
  • Planning to release their upcoming Cyberpunk multiplayer game for free to everybody who buys Cyberpunk singleplayer, something most other publishers these days would charge separately for, considering Cyberpunk's multiplayer has multi-million seller capability and could make alot of money to keep the investors happy

Have they made mistakes? For damn sure. Will it take time for them to recover? You better believe it. Will they eventually fully recover? I think so, as long as the investors don't wrest control from the current board of directors which contains several actual game developers. If CD Projekt ends up getting ran by nothing but suits who care about maximizing profit at the cost of all else (current board made the mistake of trying to please money hungry investors), all of the things that make their image better than other developers/publishers will be gone, and they will just be another money hungry developer like Rockstar and money hungry publisher like EA and Activision. The current board needs to maintain control and do some soul searching and get back to their roots that made them the greatest developer and publisher on the planet, instead of trying to please investors who want nothing more than small budgets and microtransactions for huge profit margins, which would ruin CD Projekt in the eyes of gamers.

Interesting. I was sure you were all for Microtransactions in games. I don't think they belong in any $60 game, and frankly ruin the game beyond repair. Buying a game with MTX in it is like buying a car that has a faulty car alarm, non-functional windows, a horn that goes off on its own, no seatbelts, a backseat light that turns on randomly, and a trunk that can't be unlocked. Sure it's still a functional item, but all those little annoyances add up to the point where I just don't want to play the game.

But anyway, you're right that they do have a lot going for their public image. GoG has really improved in its selection over the last five years. They even have Horizon, which I'm tempted to double dip on. What they did to console users was just devious though. Withholding console performance, and only dishing out reviews to PC gamers, was just evil. I'm having a really good time with the game on my PC. My only consistent bug is not being able to pick up random loot every once in a while. But then again, I am running it on a pretty beastly rig.

That comparison is completely off. The games aren't automatically broken because they include MTX. Everything that is necessary is included which translates to a perfectly functional car. It's just that you can buy additional flashy stuff like steering wheel covers, carbon fiber hoods or tinted windows and in some rarer cases you can purchase high octance gas to get to your destination a little faster.

And no I have never paid for MTX in my life despite having played a few games that have them.

Last I checked costumes and flashy stuff came free in good games. Just like how working windows, and seatbelts come free in any car. It's only the MTX games where you have to pay for them. Also, high octane gas can be made a requirement if the car is rigged to only go 30 MPH without it. Games with MTX are slowed down all the time. They create a problem and then sell you the solution.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Barozi said:

That comparison is completely off. The games aren't automatically broken because they include MTX. Everything that is necessary is included which translates to a perfectly functional car. It's just that you can buy additional flashy stuff like steering wheel covers, carbon fiber hoods or tinted windows and in some rarer cases you can purchase high octance gas to get to your destination a little faster.

And no I have never paid for MTX in my life despite having played a few games that have them.

Last I checked costumes and flashy stuff came free in good games. Just like how working windows, and seatbelts come free in any car. It's only the MTX games where you have to pay for them. Also, high octane gas can be made a requirement if the car is rigged to only go 30 MPH without it. Games with MTX are slowed down all the time. They create a problem and then sell you the solution.

Then you clearly need to check again. There are plenty of free cosmetics even in MTX games. You're very naive if you believe that developers used to include hundreds of free skins in their games and now lock away all of them. In reality, you would've been happy when you got more than two outfits or a couple of weapon skins in those pre-MTX games.

Those slow downs you mention only occur in mobile games where you cannot progress unless you wait for a certain amount of time or pay up. Not really a problem with games outside the mobile sector.



LudicrousSpeed said:
Vodacixi said:

The game might make a comeback. CDPR however... I doubt their image will ever recover after all of this.

If the game makes a comeback, why wouldn’t CDPR? If Ubi or EA can release games that are broken at launch but still recover and still sell millions with their later games, why can’t CDPR? Hell, Bethesda turned Fallout 76 around. A game that launched in a worse state than Cyberpunk. When they announce Fallout 5 or the next TES mainline game, will anyone care about 76? 

At the same time, later this year CDPR can announce Witcher 4 or any other new project and it will get instant hype. Gamers don’t care about this stuff. It’s the internet making a fuss about it. Happens every year with CoD. Broken elements at launch, horrific install sizes, glitches, bad monetization elements, etc. If you read the internet you’d think CoD sells 43 copies a year. 

Their image probably won't recover. How is Ubisoft's and EA's image nowadays? Sure, they'll still be able to sell millions of games. Good crack or back crack, most gamers just got to have the latest crack.



SvennoJ said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

If the game makes a comeback, why wouldn’t CDPR? If Ubi or EA can release games that are broken at launch but still recover and still sell millions with their later games, why can’t CDPR? Hell, Bethesda turned Fallout 76 around. A game that launched in a worse state than Cyberpunk. When they announce Fallout 5 or the next TES mainline game, will anyone care about 76? 

At the same time, later this year CDPR can announce Witcher 4 or any other new project and it will get instant hype. Gamers don’t care about this stuff. It’s the internet making a fuss about it. Happens every year with CoD. Broken elements at launch, horrific install sizes, glitches, bad monetization elements, etc. If you read the internet you’d think CoD sells 43 copies a year. 

Their image probably won't recover. How is Ubisoft's and EA's image nowadays? Sure, they'll still be able to sell millions of games. Good crack or back crack, most gamers just got to have the latest crack.

Their images are fine. Again, there’s a gargantuan disconnect between the hardcore gamers who populate message boards and the general public. We think we are more important than we actually are. Most people who bought Cyberpunk have no idea about all of this controversy. And plenty of others, myself included, know about it and don’t care, because the game has been great for us. And then there are still more who have such goodwill built up with CDPR, one blundered launch isn’t going to ruin it.