By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Might get worse for CDPR....

sales2099 said:

It’ll blow over. They made so much money even after refunds they can settle before it hits court and still be ok. The game will be largely fixed in the next months that by spring this will all be a memory. Cyberpunk will essentially make a comeback like games before. Halo MCC, No Mans Sky, etc.

The game might make a comeback. CDPR however... I doubt their image will ever recover after all of this.

Around the Network
vivster said:

One could say they never had a chance to deliver on something that was so hyped and anticipated, but then I look at FFVII Remake and see it's actually possible to dliver and then some.

So yeah, fuck them.

The hype surrounding FF7 remake was not even remotely close to the level of that around Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk has transcended hardcore gaming.  My casual ganing friends were asking me about it from time to time over the last year  Only people that hang out on forums like this one were on the hype train for Final Fantasy.

In my opinion, there was no way for them to deliver on the hype. That being said, they missed the mark so badly that this is not even close to an acceptable excuse. it's not that the game didn't live up to the hype. The problem is that the game sucks in many ways.

Still, I'm playing it on a Series X and enjoying it quite a bit. It's not getting any game of the year votes from me, but I'm sure I'll be back for the DLC.

Vodacixi said:
sales2099 said:

It’ll blow over. They made so much money even after refunds they can settle before it hits court and still be ok. The game will be largely fixed in the next months that by spring this will all be a memory. Cyberpunk will essentially make a comeback like games before. Halo MCC, No Mans Sky, etc.

The game might make a comeback. CDPR however... I doubt their image will ever recover after all of this.

I don't know that they will never make a comeback. If they follow through and make the game awesome on all platforms, all will be forgiven. Certainly, 8 million people are not going to pre-order their next game though. But, if it ends up being an awesome game, that will go a long way to restoring the reputational damage.

In the short term though, the damage to their reputation has a gigantic price tag attached. I don't know how to figure out what that number is, but it certainly in the hundreds of millions of dollars. A major fuck up by CDPR. One of the worst mistakes in the history of AAA gaming.

It's not even about the bugs and glitches, entire systems like AI and physics have not even been implemented and are broken beyond repair. The game is nowhere near anything they promised, even after a gazillion delays. CDPR deserves to be sued and even deserve to go belly up entirely if you ask me.

Vodacixi said:
sales2099 said:

Their image just means their next game will still be bought by millions, just “begrudgingly” instead of with universal glee. Much like how millions still buy EA games like Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. Their like for the IP can supersede the publisher disdain.

I find that gamers on average are principled on the surface but all the morals and stances go out the window if the game plays well and is a IP they like. RDR2 and it’s crunch also comes to mind, that didn’t lead to any meaningful boycott because guess what, the game looked beautiful and got a solid meta score. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I was planning on waiting for the newer generation upgrades before I purchased it, but with all the whining and crying out there it makes me want to go ahead and get it now to see what it is that is causing people to have their meltdowns. I'm finding it hilarious.

My brother purchased it a few days ago and is playing it on an Xbox One X and has encountered many bugs and glitches, but tells me he is enjoying the hell out of it. He wasn't expecting all the sexual stuff and had his children in the room when he was doing the character design, LMAO. He is now playing the privacy of his bedroom.

Many of my customers are gamers and also can't wait to get their hands on it. Pure curiosity at this point.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Vodacixi said:

Considering how many diehard fans CD Projekt has that are continuing to support them during this controversy, I doubt that. Their image still has alot going for them:

• One of the few developers/publishers that supports DRM free gaming, with their own Steam competitor GOG
  • One of the few developers who still puts goodies into a standard edition game case (things like posters, guide books, and even their soundtracks, which most developers charge separately for)
  • Strongly against singleplayer microtransactions and things like console exclusive DLC or preorder bonus DLC, instead releasing all of the smaller DLC's they design for their games for free
  • Planning to release their upcoming Cyberpunk multiplayer game for free to everybody who buys Cyberpunk singleplayer, something most other publishers these days would charge separately for, considering Cyberpunk's multiplayer has multi-million seller capability and could make alot of money to keep the investors happy

Have they made mistakes? For damn sure. Will it take time for them to recover? You better believe it. Will they eventually fully recover? I think so, as long as the investors don't wrest control from the current board of directors which contains several actual game developers. If CD Projekt ends up getting ran by nothing but suits who care about maximizing profit at the cost of all else (current board made the mistake of trying to please money hungry investors), all of the things that make their image better than other developers/publishers will be gone, and they will just be another money hungry developer like Rockstar and money hungry publisher like EA and Activision. The current board needs to maintain control and do some soul searching and get back to their roots that made them the greatest developer and publisher on the planet, instead of trying to please investors who want nothing more than small budgets and microtransactions for huge profit margins, which would ruin CD Projekt in the eyes of gamers.

Still defending the board? They are nothing but suits who care about maximizing profit at the cost of all else. They decided to go public in the first place to rake in the dough. They decided to go back on their no crunch promises. They decided to cash in on the pre-orders at the cost of all else. "made the mistake of trying to please money hungy investors" They went public 10 years ago, and now they made the mistake of trying to please investors...

The current board needs to retire, that's the only honorable thing to do at this point. They showed they're not up to the job, refused to listen to their teams and only chased the $ sign.

Besides, adding multiplayer to a single player RPG or what was supposed to be an RPG, single player looter shooter, that's so GAAS. Which games charge separately for multiplayer btw? I can't think of any, but don't play any either.

Anyway the only thing they stated about multiplayer was:

“As far as the monetisation of multiplayer for Cyberpunk is concerned, we believe right now it’s definitely too early to share any details on that or give guidance; the project is in a relatively early stage. We keep experimenting – that’s our first multiplayer game. We check various options and possibilities, and it’s definitely not the time to point you to a specific direction on that. Of course you can expect that we won’t change our general policy towards ‘deals with gamers’ so I expect wise monetisation and – always – value for money.”

They don't know yet.

DroidKnight said:

I was planning on waiting for the newer generation upgrades before I purchased it, but with all the whining and crying out there it makes me want to go ahead and get it now to see what it is that is causing people to have their meltdowns. I'm finding it hilarious.

My brother purchased it a few days ago and is playing it on an Xbox One X and has encountered many bugs and glitches, but tells me he is enjoying the hell out of it. He wasn't expecting all the sexual stuff and had his children in the room when he was doing the character design, LMAO. He is now playing the privacy of his bedroom.

Many of my customers are gamers and also can't wait to get their hands on it. Pure curiosity at this point.

Proves the point, There is no such thing as bad publicity. Cyberpunk will remain in the news, that's what CD PR is good at.

This just shows me Microsoft did the right thing by delaying Halo infinite and of think they should scrap the Xbox one version entirely. I'm glad gamers are not to;wearing buggy games and I hope all software developers start releasing polished games from now on but with companies like EA out there, I doubt it. It is funny though that companies with good reputations suffer more backlash and somehow EA having the rep of being the worst big third party dev see,a to give them a free pass on things. Everyone just says it's EA being EA and the worst that happens is the game doesn't sell as well

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I think people are quick to shoot CDPR down right now as it's the "it thing."

They screwed up massively when they could have held it back and maybe released in Jan / Feb. Maybe they should have scrapped the prev gen versions all together.

There are several issues at play here:

1) CDPR should have delayed or scrapped current gen
2) CDPR should have been honest about last gen versions
3) gamers need to understand that as a next gen game, you are still getting more bang for your buck at £45 with all the free extras that only CDPR bother with. Other developers would treat this as a Delux version and charge £25-30 more.
4) gamers must also come to terms with how fast they are fixing shit and have held up their hands to refund etc. They didn't need to. No one else ever have.
5) we can't as gamers create shitty no win situations by saying well they only refunded because. No developer ever has and no other developer probably ever will. If anything, we are teaching CDPR and every other company not to bother in future if anything such as this happens.

In a world where games like Fallout 76 still exist, EA continue to break laws and continue shitty practices, Rockstar continue to milk with games with sub par gameplay, we can't say shit. We either hold everyone of them equally to account or non of them unless we go down the route of being hypocrites.

They fucked up, it cost them, they may or may not recover. Let them do their job and fix the game, update for next gen (as they said it will be a free upgrade) and revisit again in a year. No Man's Sky ended up better for it, no reason why CDPR can't knowing they are fully capable of it.

Fei-Hung said:

In a world where games like Fallout 76 still exist, EA continue to break laws and continue shitty practices, Rockstar continue to milk with games with sub par gameplay, we can't say shit. We either hold everyone of them equally to account or non of them unless we go down the route of being hypocrites.

They fucked up, it cost them, they may or may not recover. Let them do their job and fix the game, update for next gen (as they said it will be a free upgrade) and revisit again in a year. No Man's Sky ended up better for it, no reason why CDPR can't knowing they are fully capable of it.

Playing devils advocate here...

We need to judge a game on it's release, not what it "might be" in 12 months time of updates and patches using hopes and prayers that it might get rectified. (Company may abandon it entirely after all.).
If in 12 months the bulk of issues is removed and the game is substantially improved, then a second round of judgement is deserved, but it needs to reflect on the launch issues still.

So whilst yes, CDPR are capable of fixing a game, those who sunk $120 AUD on a game that is inoperable on their device is simple unacceptable and thus CDPR deserve the heavy criticism they get, same goes for any company who does something similar.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--