By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts November 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Tops 8 Million in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,524,090 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,018,631 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,594,884 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 70,903,631

PS4 Total Sales: 62,308,747

November 2020 is the 45th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.52 million units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 8.59 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 45th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is November 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is July 2017. The Switch has sold 70.90 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 62.31 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 50.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 114.20 million units through November 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 43.30 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

Switch was already gaining ground on the PS4, even before COVID hit.  Taking the past year into account, I think it's becoming obvious Switch is going to win this one.  This is another scenario of the Switch being close at first but eventually taking off and leaving the other system in the dust.  It may not be quite as dramatic as the Switch vs. 3DS chart, but the outcome is basically the same.  Switch started strong and steady, but then it's sales really took off making the early years seem slow by comparison.

Around the Network

This was a very interesting month for this gap chart. Looking at a month aligned comparison (basically comparing the fourth november for the NS and for the PS4), this was the first time since last november that the PS4 was able to outsell the NS in a month. 

Next month should go back to nintendo as the PS4 sold 3.9 million units and nintendo already sold 1.3 in it's first of five weeks. I wonder what games came out that holiday season or what deals became available to see such a great growth for the PS4.

The month aligned chart after 45 months of release for the NS shows the NS with quite a lead, and like I said, december should bump this lead really high for the NS.

These past 10 months have been brutal for this chart. But the PS4 did manage to win this month.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Tops 8 Million in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,524,090 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,018,631 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,594,884 - Switch

PS4 Total Sales: 62,308,747

November 2020 is the 45th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.52 million units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 8.59 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 45th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is November 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is July 2017. The Switch has sold 70.90 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 62.31 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 50.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 114.20 million units through November 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 43.30 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

Gonna be nuts to see how far the Switch is ahead of PS4 once December's sales are in.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Tops 11 Million in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,154,739 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 13,892,766 – Switch

Total Lead: 11,580,706 - Switch

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 59,322,925

November 2020 is the 45th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.15 million units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 13.89 million units. The Switch leads by 11.58 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

The 45th month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2020, for the Nintendo 3DS it is November 2014 and for the Wii U it is May 2016. The Switch has sold 70.90 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 59.32 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 61.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.45 million units lifetime through November 2020. The Switch is 18.55 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U. The Wii U has been off the market for several years only selling 13.56 million units lifetime, while the 3DS recently ended production and the few remaining stock units left in stock will likely be sold out by the end of the year.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

@trunkswd What month and year do you think the Switch will surpass the WiiU+3DS? I think it will happen in october 2021.

Around the Network
dmillos said:

@trunkswd What month and year do you think the Switch will surpass the WiiU+3DS? I think it will happen in october 2021.

If sales are relatively flat year-on-year in 2021 the Switch will surpass the 3DS and Wii U at the end of August or early September. However, I expect sales to be down a bit starting in March, so the end of September or early October I see as the most likely. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I hope the Switch vs 3DS + Wii U charts continues until the Switch wins, just so we can see how quickly it passes what took its combined predecessors nearly a decade to reach.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

dmillos said:

This was a very interesting month for this gap chart. Looking at a month aligned comparison (basically comparing the fourth november for the NS and for the PS4), this was the first time since last november that the PS4 was able to outsell the NS in a month. 

Next month should go back to nintendo as the PS4 sold 3.9 million units and nintendo already sold 1.3 in it's first of five weeks. I wonder what games came out that holiday season or what deals became available to see such a great growth for the PS4.

The month aligned chart after 45 months of release for the NS shows the NS with quite a lead, and like I said, december should bump this lead really high for the NS.

These past 10 months have been brutal for this chart. But the PS4 did manage to win this month.

For November 2016 I see PS4 at 3,296,010, not 4,270,239.... I think you included the week ending 3rd Dec in with November instead of December. (or is that intentional, are you splitting the difference on those border weeks? or any weeks with 4+ days in that month go in that month?)

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 22 December 2020

HigHurtenflurst said:

For November 2016 I see PS4 at 3,296,010, not 4,270,239.... I think you included the week ending 3rd Dec in with November instead of December. (or is that intentional, are you splitting the difference on those border weeks? or any weeks with 4+ days in that month go in that month?)

Hi @HigHurtenflurst I actually changed to include any week with 4+ days to count for that month. I was told that this is the way VGChartz counts it, therefore this december will have 5 weeks instead of 4, Is that correct?

This would make the switch gain november back. What is the correct way of analyzing this? Thanks for pointing this out.

dmillos said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Hi @HigHurtenflurst I actually changed to include any week with 4+ days to count for that month. I was told that this is the way VGChartz counts it, therefore this december will have 5 weeks instead of 4, Is that correct?

This would make the switch gain november back. What is the correct way of analyzing this? Thanks for pointing this out.

Neither is correct, as long as you are consistant.

If you are looking at comparing months to historical months it might be best to do what NPD does, always have months with the same number of weeks where possible (I think last month of every quarter is 5 weeks, then every few years they have to have January as 5 weeks as well to reset it)