By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts November 2020 Discussion Thread

The_Liquid_Laser said:

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison - Switch Creeping Up on Lifetime 3DS Sales in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.88 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently just 4.96 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS. At its current pace, the Switch will outsell the lifetime 3DS sales sometime in December or January.

I am going to miss this chart when it is gone.  I liked see this cliff grow every month.  Switch did find the cliff, but it is climbing up it instead of falling off.

Either 1 or 2 more months of this chart then it is over. But there is still the Switch vs 3DS and Wii U charts. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs Wii Sales Comparison - Gap Drops Below 1 Million in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo Wii.

Switch Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,971,872 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,609,171 - Switch

Total Lead: 953,330 - Wii

Switch Total Sales: 70,920,531

Wii Total Sales: 71,873,861

November 2020 is the 45th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the Switch closed the gap by 2.97 million units when you align the launches of the two consoles. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the Wii by 6.61 million units. The Wii is currently ahead of the Switch by 0.95 million units.

The Wii launched in November 2006, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 45th month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2020 and for the Wii it is July 2010. The Switch has sold 70.92 million units, while the Wii sold 71.87 million units during the same timeframe. The Wii sold current Switch sales in month 44.

The Wii sold 101.63 million units worldwide during its lifetime. The Switch needs to sell another 30.71 million units to outsell the Wii.

The tortoise is closing in on the hare.

With the caveat that the tortoise is somehow hitting speeds faster than the hare ever achieved lol.

mk7sx said:
curl-6 said:

The tortoise is closing in on the hare.

With the caveat that the tortoise is somehow hitting speeds faster than the hare ever achieved lol.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS Sales Comparison - Switch Creeping Up on Lifetime 3DS Sales in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS.

Switch Vs. 3DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,164,580 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,059,840 - Switch

Total Lead: 24,620,010 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 70,920,531

3DS Total Sales: 46,300,521

November 2020 is the 45th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.16 million units when compared to the 3DS during the same timeframe and by 17.07 million units in favor of the Switch in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the 3DS by 24.62 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. This does mean the holidays for the two platforms do lineup.

The 45th month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2020 and for the Nintendo 3DS it is November 2014. The Switch has sold 70.92 million units, while the 3DS sold 46.30 million units during the same timeframe. The 3DS did not reach current Switch sales until month 84.

The Nintendo 3DS has sold 75.88 million units to date. The Nintendo Switch is currently just 4.96 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS. At its current pace, the Switch will outsell the lifetime 3DS sales sometime in December or January.

Yeah I am gonna miss this one too, it was fun watching the two duel closely for a while before Switch hit the nitro and started closing the gap at breakneck speed, plus it was satisfying after those years of "Switch will sell on par with 3DS."

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Yeah I am gonna miss this one too, it was fun watching the two duel closely for a while before Switch hit the nitro and started closing the gap at breakneck speed, plus it was satisfying after those years of "Switch will sell on par with 3DS."

It was definitely an interesting chart to watch. Personally I refused to believe that the switch would have the same fate as the 3DS. I remember that the launch of the 3ds was a mess. I was sort of easy to forgive nintendo when I got the free SMB game for having purchased the 3ds early, before they reduced the price. The fact that switch was keeping up with the 3ds even though the 3ds had basically started with discounts, meant to me that the switch was much more solid. 

I think that these gap charts of the Wii and 3DS show something very valuable, The first couple of years are too early to make any prediction. for example after 24 months from launch the Wii was ahead of the PS4 by over 22% and now it looks like it will be about 25-40% below in lifetime sales. Or even better, the Wii vs the Xbox 360. after 24 months it had almost 3 times the amount of sales of the 360, but in the end it was only about 18% above the 360.

Fun fact, according to my analysis of VGChartz numbers, the 360 holds the record for having its peak year on year 6

dmillos32 said:
curl-6 said:

It was definitely an interesting chart to watch. Personally I refused to believe that the switch would have the same fate as the 3DS. I remember that the launch of the 3ds was a mess. I was sort of easy to forgive nintendo when I got the free SMB game for having purchased the 3ds early, before they reduced the price. The fact that switch was keeping up with the 3ds even though the 3ds had basically started with discounts, meant to me that the switch was much more solid. 

I think that these gap charts of the Wii and 3DS show something very valuable, The first couple of years are too early to make any prediction. for example after 24 months from launch the Wii was ahead of the PS4 by over 22% and now it looks like it will be about 25-40% below in lifetime sales. Or even better, the Wii vs the Xbox 360. after 24 months it had almost 3 times the amount of sales of the 360, but in the end it was only about 18% above the 360.

Fun fact, according to my analysis of VGChartz numbers, the 360 holds the record for having its peak year on year 6

Yeah I never understood the "Switch will sell on par with 3DS" argument, except as wishful thinking from those who didn't want Switch to have great sales.

When it kept pace while being twice the price and before any revisions, it seemed obvious that once it dropped in price and got revisions of its own it would overhaul its predecessor. Not to mention Switch has turned out to have a much more compelling software lineup.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
dmillos32 said:
curl-6 said:

Kinect gave the 360 a huge boost the holiday it came out. At least in the US. The 360 is the best-selling console in the US of the last couple of gens. Only the PS2 and DS sold more. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Kinect gave the 360 a huge boost the holiday it came out. At least in the US. The 360 is the best-selling console in the US of the last couple of gens. Only the PS2 and DS sold more. 

That is very interesting, thank you for that insight. I was wondering why did the 360 have such great legs. This seems like a perfectly good reason. I was checking the comparison between the 360 and the ps3 and it aligns perfectly with what you mention. exactly when the kinect was released, the gap started to shrink. 

PS3X360DS
First 60 months55,633,66044,770,004110,238,338
Second 60 months31,662,07340,668,81843,782,290
Second/First56.91%90.84%39.72%

It is insane to see how well the second half of the 360 sold. It almost sold as much as the DS.

Would actually anyone be interested in PS5 -vs- WiiU in Japan? (of course ONLY in Japan - worldwide will be done after a few month^^)
Assuming PS5 will be selling worse than PS4, this could be an interesting one at least for like 1-2 Years or so.

DaAndy said:

Would actually anyone be interested in PS5 -vs- WiiU in Japan? (of course ONLY in Japan - worldwide will be done after a few month^^)
Assuming PS5 will be selling worse than PS4, this could be an interesting one at least for like 1-2 Years or so.

It is one I could add in the future. For now, when I add new comparisons they will be worldwide. 

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - Switch Lead Tops 8 Million in November 2020

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 2,524,090 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,018,631 - Switch

Total Lead: 8,594,884 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 70,903,631

PS4 Total Sales: 62,308,747

November 2020 is the 45th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 2.52 million units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.02 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 8.59 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

The 45th month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is November 2020, while for the PlayStation 4 it is July 2017. The Switch has sold 70.90 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 62.31 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 50.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 114.20 million units through November 2020. The Nintendo Switch is currently 43.30 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.