By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts November 2020 Discussion Thread

HigHurtenflurst said:

Neither is correct, as long as you are consistant.

If you are looking at comparing months to historical months it might be best to do what NPD does, always have months with the same number of weeks where possible (I think last month of every quarter is 5 weeks, then every few years they have to have January as 5 weeks as well to reset it)

Thank you @HigHurtenflurst That is very insightful. Do you know if this is the way VGChartz decides how to do month totals?

I agree that consistency is the best thing. And comparing months makes sense that it is with equal amounts of weeks. This would work very well exept for the occasional January.



Around the Network
dmillos said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

Neither is correct, as long as you are consistant.

If you are looking at comparing months to historical months it might be best to do what NPD does, always have months with the same number of weeks where possible (I think last month of every quarter is 5 weeks, then every few years they have to have January as 5 weeks as well to reset it)

Thank you @HigHurtenflurst That is very insightful. Do you know if this is the way VGChartz decides how to do month totals?

I agree that consistency is the best thing. And comparing months makes sense that it is with equal amounts of weeks. This would work very well exept for the occasional January.

Pretty sure the graphs in the tools section of VGC use week-ending method for month (I havent checkes every 5-week month but those that I have consitantly include weeks ending 1st/2nd/3rd within that same month, so I believe the week ending 2nd Jan 2021 will be counted in the January totals when you arrange by month)

However Trunkswd mentioned in another thread that for yearly totals it might be different as some past years have had weeks ending in early Jan counted toward previous year totals... Which if true is kinda odd.



HigHurtenflurst said:

Pretty sure the graphs in the tools section of VGC use week-ending method for month (I havent checkes every 5-week month but those that I have consitantly include weeks ending 1st/2nd/3rd within that same month, so I believe the week ending 2nd Jan 2021 will be counted in the January totals when you arrange by month)

However Trunkswd mentioned in another thread that for yearly totals it might be different as some past years have had weeks ending in early Jan counted toward previous year totals... Which if true is kinda odd.

I have the same confusion, I think that is what is going on, which makes it a bit tough to easily compare consoles, specially when they are really close.

What do you think about trying  to divide the week by 7 and just multiplying by the days each month has for that week. It wouldn't be exact but it should be a bit closer to reality in all cases.

One down side of doing that is that it wouldn't match VGChartz values and it might make it a bit tougher for people to double check. In that case, trying to match VGChartz would be most appropiate (although tough when dealing with two different ways of sorting at the same  time).

What do you recommend?



dmillos said:

I have the same confusion, I think that is what is going on, which makes it a bit tough to easily compare consoles, specially when they are really close.

What do you think about trying  to divide the week by 7 and just multiplying by the days each month has for that week. It wouldn't be exact but it should be a bit closer to reality in all cases.

One down side of doing that is that it wouldn't match VGChartz values and it might make it a bit tougher for people to double check. In that case, trying to match VGChartz would be most appropiate (although tough when dealing with two different ways of sorting at the same  time).

What do you recommend?

Was just looking into the crossover January weeks and found it is not consistant (or maybe the method eludes me):

w/e jan 3rd 2009 = Dec08
w/e jan 4th 2014 = Dec13
w/e jan 3rd 2015 = Jan15*

So a week that ended Jan 4th was part of the previous year, then the next year a week ending Jan 3rd was part of the new year


However after that I found something else, unless I am mistaken there seems to be an error in December 2015 for the VGC graphs.
For Nov 2015 I checked both PS4 & WiiU and it is classed as the 4-weeks ending Nov28th
Jan 2016 is classed as the 4-weeks ending Jan30th

The 5-weeks inbetween those two periods though do not add-up correctly to what the monthly graphs say.... So December 2015 includes 6 weeks which seem to be the 5 weeks ending Jan2nd 2016 but also adding in the week ending Jan3rd 2015 as well.

*Edit: Just checked and it isn't actually counted in Dec 2014 or Jan 15... but instead added into Dec 2015 for some reason.

Last edited by HigHurtenflurst - on 23 December 2020

HigHurtenflurst said:

Was just looking into the crossover January weeks and found it is not consistant (or maybe the method eludes me):

w/e jan 3rd 2009 = Dec08
w/e jan 4th 2014 = Dec13
w/e jan 3rd 2015 = Jan15*

So a week that ended Jan 4th was part of the previous year, then the next year a week ending Jan 3rd was part of the new year


However after that I found something else, unless I am mistaken there seems to be an error in December 2015 for the VGC graphs.
For Nov 2015 I checked both PS4 & WiiU and it is classed as the 4-weeks ending Nov28th
Jan 2016 is classed as the 4-weeks ending Jan30th

The 5-weeks inbetween those two periods though do not add-up correctly to what the monthly graphs say.... So December 2015 includes 6 weeks which seem to be the 5 weeks ending Jan2nd 2016 but also adding in the week ending Jan3rd 2015 as well.

*Edit: Just checked and it isn't actually counted in Dec 2014 or Jan 15... but instead added into Dec 2015 for some reason.

Hi @HigHurtenflurst

It is very interesting what you point out. Obviously with all of these numbers and having to revise them will cause small Errors. It kind of seems like Months and years are calculated independently, or even manually. I got curious with your discovery and decided to do a little comparison between VGC months and using the method of giving the week to the month that has more days. It is obvious that I found many diferences, but one interesting thing is that some ocasions something that was added to one month ended up being distributed across at least two different months. This makes me wonder if it was manually edited.

It might be too much to share the whole chart here, but I highlighted some occasions where something was given to one month but then two months got that value distributed between them. Like PS3 months 3,4, and 5. In General these little details are minor numbers that probably got manually assigned. But something that is important is that all of these green and red numbers show that the system automatically just gives the week to the month it lands on at the end date. This might be something that @PAOerfulone might find interesting. 



Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - November 2020

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Gap change in latest month: 2,318,492 - PS3 & X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 6,956,152 - PS3 & X360

Total Lead: 10,408,176 - PS4 & XOne

Total Combined PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Sales: 152,751,242

Total Combined PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Sales: 163,159,418

In November 2020, the gap grew in favor of the combined sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in the last month by 2.32 million units. In the last 12 months, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 have caught up by 6.96 million units. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One lead by a combined 10.41 million units.

The 85th month for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is November 2020, while for the Xbox 360 it is November 2012 and for the PlayStation 3 it is November 2013. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in their first 85 months sold a combined 152.75 million units, while the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 163.16 million units. It took until month 96 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 to sell as many units as the current PS4 and Xbox One sales.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 173.22 million units lifetime. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are currently 10.06 million units away from surpassing the PS3 and X360.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Still 10m ahead and only 10m left to go, but it looks like the PS4 and XB1 aren't going to make it. November was abysmal for both of them



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:

Still 10m ahead and only 10m left to go, but it looks like the PS4 and XB1 aren't going to make it. November was abysmal for both of them

A few months ago it would be crazy to think this would be a close race, PS4+XOne still have the advantage, but it is looking very unlikely fast.

If November was abysmal, December is not shaping up to be too good either.



I still think PS4 + Xbone will outsell PS3 + 360, much as I don't think they deserve to.
Just 10 million more, that's not much.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

I still think PS4 + Xbone will outsell PS3 + 360, much as I don't think they deserve to.
Just 10 million more, that's not much.

Hi @curl-6 I hope you are right. For reference here is how much consoles sold from the point the PS4 is currently at:

X360DSWiiPS3PSP3DSPSVWiiUPS4XONE
Total 85+15,009,9836,159,6901,686,1098,342,2328,949,0195,136,99049,1940891,199430,897
November2,404,8011,006,954215,502923,555445,270535,998840564,825247,922
December2,388,7581,115,618347,3721,172,9881,159,524673,05714,6620326,374182,975

The december values are not final for the PS4 and XONE. PS4 seems to be having similar numbers  to the 3DS,  that ended up making 5.1M while the XONE seems to be a bit higher than the Wii that sold 1.7M.

Hopefully this november and december were not the normal of what to expect for the rest of their life cycles.